SAU Community

How to: Anodize your brake calipers

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

I just bought a can of that Dupli-colour metalcast paint in the red. Will 1 can be enough? they only had one can left.

I was thinking of using Septone Automotive's Brake Caliper & Drum Paint for the primer as I already have a few cans of the stuff lying around my garage. Anybody know if this would be okay to use with the dupli-colour?

Also, anybody tried just taping up the surrounding area than applying the paint? Or would it be better off in the long run to pry the Calipers off & paint them.

Cheers

Oh & schmiddy, excellent job. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even have considered doing this for myself :)

hahaha no wories mate glad to be an insperation ahahah, man i would ge the proper primer, just incase, for the sake of it, cos it would be a shame to have them on a week and the paint not take proply or something, and yeah i took the whole caliper of, not to hard a job just brake line and 2 bolts, turns out awsome that way, one warning, bleed your barakes once there back on as takin the lines of gets them full of air, and watch reaplying the caliper that brake fluid doesnt get on the newly painted caliped, that shit chews the paint straight off, good luck mate

Awesome Thanks for that Shmiddy I should be getting around to it soon. I'm going to take a few test sprays on some old brake pads I've got lying around to get an idea of the finish with the primer I'm going to use.

Cheers again buddy :(

how i got my NISSAN bits all done was rub a bit of light grease over the letters, then they peel off quite easily..

better than going over each one individually with masking tape.

• 2 weeks later...

For those guys still looking for Duplicolor Metalcast, the Australian distributor is Hoits/Hoyts (damn forgotten the spelling already) and they are on 1800 021 106.

AutoOne stock Duplicolor (the normal range) but can definitely order Metalcast for you. If the storeman gives you a funny look, get them to ring Nationals or ring Hoits themselves on the 1800 number.

Cheers!

i havent seen this product(or read the complete thread) but am tipping its just a candy ..would i be right in saying its put over the top of a silver?It will also be an acrylic system which will just wash off with any type of solvent.... Another way of doing it is strip the paint off the calipers then spray etch primer on them then paint them in a silver ground coat and get a product called SEM candy concentrate in what ever colour candy you want....add the concentrate in some 2K clear and thats it....Its certainly a better way of doing it and will last as long as your paint on your car and will have to use paint stripper to get it off....To answer shans question,this system has been used for 20 odd years and we have painted complete cars/motorcycles with it...I am sure that people are aware that this is not anodising...its just an anodise look....cast cannot be anodized properly

Hi Troy

From their website, it is an enamel that you prep the surface with their pressure pack "Adhesion Promoter" for bare metal then paint with just the one type of paint.

And yep, I'm pretty sure everyone understands that it is paint and not anodizing. Still looks a treat for old calipers.

Mark

Hi mark...acrylic/single pack enamels both have the same characteristic's altho enamel will go over anything and not play up where as acrylic over single pack enamel fry's up...so having said that once you paint anything in single pack enamel your stuck with it untill you bare metal it.....both still wash off with solvent tho,which would concern me with using this product as some wheel cleaners may strip it off....