SAU Community

R32 GTST driveline whine

Bazelinez

Hey guys,

Can't really tell if its always done it and I've just had the stereo on but when I trail of the throttle a little at around 90-100 in 5th I can hear a whine from the tailshaft/diff area.

Can't be sure what it is. Full throttle it goes away, just rolling with no throttle it goes away? Strange, is it possible the gear box is low on oil or something?

They should put dip sticks in gearboxes :D

any help appreciated, cheers!

Mine whines, it has since 67,000km's and has now covered another 110,000km's. :rofl:

The RB20DET box's are rather strong. I wouldn't worry, make sure its got oil and thats it.

sweet. cheers cubes, I guess its no spring chicken so some noise is bound to happen.

OT: I took my front bar off to fit some new head lights and found it was attachced with two tiny self tappers and a plastic interior clip. Dodgy as.

Yeah that's typical of RB20 gearbox's. Suggest draining the oil and checking for any out-of-the-ordinary metal and if all is OK, filler up with Redline Shockproof Oil and forget about it.

With these box's the noisy parts are the revers idler gear and moreso the input shaft bearing. If you use the Redline Oil and treat em with some respect they can last a VERY long time ( with the noise ).

Hi, thought I would add to this, and perhaps shift perspective.

I have an r32 GTST auto, and have the same issue. I think its not actually to do with the gearbox but rather the diff. It would suprise me if both the manual and auto had the same issue, I think they are made by different manufaturers anyway. Mine is a Jatco 4 speed.

Other reason is, my father in law is a mechanic and he said it was diff noise, so I trust him.

I'm not too worried at the moment as its not too noisy, but, if it gets much worse I might do something about it.

I do have a real slight diff noise but wholey moley my gearbox is noisy. :rofl:

Diff's you usually hear on light load deceleration and acceleration.

Gearbox's you hear in neutral, light and heavy load. :)

Yes, tell a lie, I believe Rowdy's and mine are the diff. He got his "serviced", which seemed like an expensive fluid change on hindsight, and which did exactly SFA on the noise front.

I rarely hear mine over my exhaust anyway so it doesn't bother me. :rofl:

Change your diff oil , it only takes 2 litres or less. You will want to use Castrol EPX 80-90. Otherwise I would suggest for all of you that you get some Redline Shockproof. It is pretty much the best you can get but is fudgen expensive so I suggest getting in contact with a rep if you can and see if you can buy it through him/her.

Thanks fellas, is diff/gearbox oil changes part of the 100K service? Mine has the timing belt sticker, all new ancillaries belts and a new o2 sensor. Is it safe to assume the gearbox and diff were done too?

How much are we talking for a gearbox and diff oil change. I can't really say I feel like changing them myself.