SAU Community

2005 Time Attack Challenge Results

GTRman1992

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was think of getting a R34 GTT but since I have seen you racing around the track in that GTR im going to buy a R33 GTR now

She looked sweet as and went like no tomorrow

Thanks for that.

Your right tho - it goes like the clappers and with fairly simple mods.

I was just trying out some new camber settings (which I'm still not sure of)

Just waiting for my new track wheels to arrive - should look the biz then.

Should be going out on Saturday for the sprints - so hopefully will see you guys out there again.

EVO Cam,

Those QR Sprint days are timed by hand. There is a guy in the tower who clicks a button when a car goes past. So if he is a bit slow or quick, presto you have a great lap time. He hands out timing sheets with 3 decimal places but its all smoke and mirrors.

Thats why the records above are only from my electronic timing system. It is internally accurate to 1/1000th of a second for each and every lap.

Paul

Ok Gtrman, how do we get to test our times with ur timing???

Fromwhat I have seen at QR,the man pushing the buttons is telling the comp attached to the loop which car is crossing it, am I being decieved???

The loop does not detect your car when it goes past unless you have a transponder in your car. These are used for race events such as the V8 Super Cars and cost about $550 each.

What the guy in the timing room is doing is pressing a button to simulate the read of a transponder.

When he gives out a timing sheet with several decimal places on it he is decieving you. Let me explain, see 1:03.8 (1/10th sec), 1:03.83 (1/100th sec), 1:03.835 (1/1000th sec). There is no way that someone pressing a button is repeatably accurate to any of these. If he gave a time of 1:03.8 (+/-0.5sec) that would be more like it, but its still generous.

What you have to factor in is that he is pressing that button not only for one car over 5 laps, but for a whole grid of cars over several hours. So errors are made and sometimes in the order of seconds. For example, the Porsche club "wash" the data before making it official for their competition by deleting any entries that look suspect.

My timing system is based on a hard real time microcontroller that captures a time stamp with an infrared sensor across the track at the start finish line. The internal timer is accurate to 1/1000th sec. This accuracy remains for every time all day.

To get your time in the "Time Attack" record you have to come to one of our track days. The next one is August 30 and the one after that is November 30. Currently our days are only during the week, although I may be timing weekend events in the future.

I hope that answers your question. If anything is still unclear please post futher questions.

Paul

Paul,

As an indication of just how accurate the "push the button" method can be, I have recorded a 56.7 second run on the sprint circuit. Whilst I would love to claim the time (and probably will when bragging to mates) I would hold a number of track records if it were true

Our next track day is on Tuesday August 30.

The track is in Ipswich.

From the GC you would probably come up the highway and take the Logan motorway, then head out to Ipswich and take the Warwick exit. After about 10mins or so there is a bid sign on the right that says Queensland Raceway. Head down there to the end and you will find the track.

Otherwise you could meet up with someone heading out there on the day and just follow them there. We have guys coming from all over. I am pretty sure a few are coming up from the Coast.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I Would Love to come to the track day, can you tell me how much its gonna cost me to enter, and what time it will start and finish..... and can un registered cars be allowed to run on the track ?

with a SAU membership can i allpy fora cams licence?

cheers

Hey Mate,

The track day costs $110. We arrive at 7:30am to setup and are on the track from 8:30 to 12:30. Maximum of 5 groups each with 9 cars. So you get lots of laps.

The next track day is on Aug 30. There are only a couple of spots left now so if you want to come PM me your email address ASAP and I'll get you all the details and onto the mailing list.

Also you do not require a CAMS licence as we run the AASA insurance.

The car does not need to be registered. It does need to be safe.

Hope to see you out there.

Paul

I'm going for at least 1:10.00 for the clubman track at the Aug 30 track day now that I've got a few minor suspension mods.

I'm hoping for 1:09 but I still got a really old crap set of 245 ziex falken tyres to run on.

Anyone else planning on beating their best time? If so what are you aiming for?

Its getting close. . . . . . can't wait.

Not sure what times I will be running, would be real happy with a low 1:03 or maybe sneak into a 1:02 on the clubman and a flat minute or under on the sprint. That would keep me smiling for weeks :huh:

Damm rain, I only missed my goal of 1:09:00 by 12 seconds or so :(

Never had a real intrest in getting a good time, just happy to drift - as those behind me may have noted as I spun out for the 4 time at the end of the main straight (thats my excuse anyway!).

Glad I did not take off the 2 week old front bar when I ended up in the kitty litter!

Had a great day though, thanks again Tim and paul.