SAU Community

when i received my car from japan it had the back three windows heavily tinted. i pulled it off thinking no way would it pass like that. but i had a thought (yes it hurt), if a car has both side mirrors like a van/ute or truck why cant it have heavy tinting on the rear windows only. you cant see out the back of the van i drive for work so what difference is there between a car with both side mirrors with one way tint or a van with both mirrors and no rear windows???

so im thinking of putting the g35 tint on the front side windows and a 20 tint on the back three windows.

does anyone know what the laws are on back window tint of a sedan that has both side mirrors???

cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...

i've been tinting for a few years now and the laws are a bit foggy in that area. T35 is the legal limit for the darkness of tint, but i got told a story that as long as you have 2 side mirrors you don't even need to be able to see out the back glass.(don't know how true it is so no-one crack the sh!ts at me) . but you've all seen the bongo vans getting around with curtains in the back and you cant see out at all in them and they don't seen to be targeted as a defect. i tinted mine in T35 3m black on the side glasses with 3m black T20 (darker) on the rear glass and across the top of the windscreen. no one has pulled me over . i did the same on my last car aswell. i wouldn't put it (T20)on the side glass , that's asking for trouble - cam

from datto to gts-t, i went from gti to gtt - he

I've got crazy blacked out on the rear 3 windows and no tint on the front 2.

I've been engineered and blue slipped and noone said a thing.

Also I heard a thing about pre '89 (possibly) cars that apperantly the laws were different then and if your car made prior to that, you might have had the tints done back then so they can be darker. I'm not sure how true that is or what year it was but you might like to check this unless it's a NSW only thing (if at all true).

It makes sense though. Most trucks can't even see behind themselves with side mirrors and a full load!

I haven't got tinted windows, might do it one day, but i'd say for anyone to get done by the cops for having rear windows too dark, to contest it in a court and see what happens...

And then tell us here so we can all get really dark tints on the back....:wassup:

its a different story when u r on P's. My rear window is so dark that u can barely see my p plate. Ive been fined once for $100 and 3 points cause of this and warned twice. The cops didnt care about how dark the tint was, it was just that my p plate wasnt visible and they told me to display it elswhere.

its a different story when u r on P's. My rear window is so dark that u can barely see my p plate. Ive been fined once for $100 and 3 points cause of this and warned twice. The cops didnt care about how dark the tint was, it was just that my p plate wasnt visible and they told me to display it elswhere.

I thought it was illegal to display plates in the window anyways, regardless of whether you can see them or not.

That was something I was told by my driving instructor (in 1997 / NSW)

Of course 'everyone' does it, and usually gets away with it...but I was just saying.

ive had 5 percent on my other cars for years, and 35 on the front windscreen and never got any hasles by cops. i dont think they really care.

5% on the windows...yeah, but 35% on the windscreen is stupidity...

I thought it was illegal to display plates in the window anyways, regardless of whether you can see them or not.

Of course 'everyone' does it, and usually gets away with it...but I was just saying.

The new laws according to the RTA.. Says that you can ;)

"If placing P signs on windows, they must be held against the glass, be displayed conspicuously in lower left-hand (passenger) side of the windscreen and on the lower left-hand side of the rear facing window and must not be placed on any other part of the window area. If towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer." - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettin..._p2.html?llid=3

something else i hafta think about is do i realy want my back windows different to my front windows or should i just have the legal tint all round so it dun look funny. if it was a two door id go dark on the back but its a four door so the back windows stand out just as much as the front.

hmmmm maybe i should start a poll.

It's a big no-no here in S.A. no window tinting allowed on side windows at all and only a light tint on rear and rear quarter windows.Regency pk checking center deems it silly to follow any of the nationalised rules or adr's and dictate what they want and when they want it. Any one coming to S.A. to live find out the hard way when the submit their cars for id checks re- transfer of reg to s.a. and they're handed a razor blade and asked to remove the tint before reg will be granted,(Another joy to living in the heaviest policed state in aust.)

Regards,

SKYLINE (Kym)... :soap:

The new laws according to the RTA.. Says that you can :D

"If placing P signs on windows, they must be held against the glass, be displayed conspicuously in lower left-hand (passenger) side of the windscreen and on the lower left-hand side of the rear facing window and must not be placed on any other part of the window area. If towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer." - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettin..._p2.html?llid=3

im quite sure that p platers here in Vic arent even allowed to tow a trailer

Different states, different rules. In vic you have to display them in the window, in NSW dont you guys jam them behind the number plates or something? And in QLD they dont have to display them at all?

My friend had an accident the other day, not serious but someone rang the police. She got done for failing to give way (2 demerit points) and done for not showing her p plates (3 points). 5 points within a year is automatic licence suspension for p platers in vic.