SAU Community

cracked my front bar need help

erupt

hi guys i have a gtr front bar on my r32 gtst which came with the car & yesterday while a family member was moving my car they hit the front bar into a gutter. now some paint has came off and there is a crack wondering if anyone knows any places in melbourne that can revive my bar so to speak.

i thought about replacing it but it looks great only downside is its low and i have to go sideways up/down nerly everything.

yeah i cracked mine yesterday too... second time since i've had the car... :( cost me $300 to fix last time (that also included some chopping)... i had it done at aero image in sunshine...

might give them a yell, im from williamstown so sunshine isnt too far away. im just very paranoid with my r32 ive only had it not even a month and if anyone knows what its like paying a car off & crap like this accures it is very frustrating

no offence to either of you guys but i wouldn't be taking my car to aero image. Me & a mate took our cars there to get front ends fixed. 2 & 1/2 months later i got mine back, he did a piss poor job - paint is flaking, gaps all over the shop and he charged me heaps for it too. My mates took 3 months and the thing was still crooked.

Bad workmanship there i reckon. But that's my opinion only, i'm sure he can do good work, i just didn't get any of it.

i do a bit of fibreglassing on the side... I'm in Lalor, so let me know if you're interested and we can work something out :( I'll try and get some pics up of where i fixed my frontbar.

I hit a cat and it took a huge piece off my front bar, but glassed it up and you can't tell it was ever broken :)

Send me a PM :)

:P

Michael

no offence to either of you guys but i wouldn't be taking my car to aero image.  Me & a mate took our cars there to get front ends fixed.  2 & 1/2 months later i got mine back, he did a piss poor job - paint is flaking, gaps all over the shop and he charged me heaps for it too.  My mates took 3 months and the thing was still crooked.

Bad workmanship there i reckon.  But that's my opinion only, i'm sure he can do good work, i just didn't get any of it.

for real? some one tried to break into my car an totally stuffed up the passenger handle, lock and damaged the door. i took my car to AI and it was back to me in less then a week and the job was immaculate...

That's not too bad really.. Make sure you attend to it fairly quickly, as the thing can flex, leading to the crack spreading.

Some fibreglass resin will fix it and some sandpaper. If you can repair the damage, and get somebody to paint it, that would be your cheapest option.

i do a bit of fibreglassing on the side... I'm in Lalor, so let me know if you're interested and we can work something out :)  I'll try and get some pics up of where i fixed my frontbar.

I hit a cat and it took a huge piece off my front bar, but glassed it up and you can't tell it was ever broken :)

Send me a PM :rofl:

:P

Michael

What about plastic can u repair them also?

What about plastic can u repair them also?

Sadly no ....i think that plastic need to be "plastic welded" but I don't know much if anything about the process :(

Sadly no ....i think that plastic need to be "plastic welded" but I don't know much if anything about the process :P

Yeah i have asked a few local panel beaters and they dont do it.

How much more do you recon it will cost?

i do plastic welding....its usually as good as new after its done....my bumper is actually two bumpers joined down the centre.....i have broken it since....not on the weld but on the left hand side where i rammed into a curb....so the weld with stood enough force to break in a diffrent place

i do plastic welding....its usually as good as new after its done....my bumper is actually two bumpers joined down the centre.....i have broken it since....not on the weld but on the left hand side where i rammed into a curb....so the weld with stood enough force to break in a diffrent place

Very nice work :)

what's involved with plastic welding? i'm guessing (as a simplified version) that the 2 pieces are heated and joined?

:rolleyes:

its a hot jet of air with a filler rod....but the trick is to be able to define the type of material you have....some have markings on the back but some dont....if you can cut thin strips out of an old bar thats the samethats the best way

I work for a Company called Wurth (those in the panel/mechanical trade know us) and we sell a Plastic Repair kit that is bloody AWESOME for fixing up front bars/fairings. Lots of bodykit shops buy this kit off us just in case theres a rare bar that has a crack in it, the results are pretty much perfect depending on how bad the bar is.

http://www.wurth.com.au/catalogueview.asp?...df=A03_0109.pdf

Thats the big kit.

But for home, Id suggest this little plastic repair kit with the adhesive, flexi primer and adhesive aide.

http://www.wurth.com.au/catalogueview.asp?...df=A03_0111.pdf

Regards

Kim

i would recommend against using any glues.....they eventually crack and they contaminate the plastic so when you eventually try to weld them its an arse ache...but thats just me :D

We sell these kits all over the world and never have had problems with it, ive never had a customer complain - we wudnt sell something if it wasnt good for the thing its intended to do - we have a reputation to uphold.

so if you look on the rear of the part can you see its been repaired??My understanding of a good job is to not be able to tell its been repaired.....

:werd: