SAU Community

injector impedance

Hey all

Got a bit of a problem at the moment with injectors.

It seems that RB30 injectors don't like being cleaned. I've got 9 RB30ET injectors here that have been ultrasonically cleaned, and after a few months they started leaking internally. I even had some cleaned by a different place, as i thought it was a problem with the method one place uses. I've also had two sets of n/a RB30 injectors cleaned wich have resulted in the same problem.

I've set up a 'test rig' with a spare fuel rail, pump and regulator, and pressurised it while letting the injectors and rail sit on white paper.. after turning off the pump, and letting it sit for a few minutes, all 'cleaned' injectors left pools of fuel on the paper. All original, uncleaned injectors didn't. This is obviously the cause of the many cranks required to start when hot, and the black smoke for a few seconds once started.

Anyone seen this before?

Now for my impedance question... I've since discovered that RB20DET NICS injectors are the same as VLT ones. RB20DET ECCS injectors are also the same flow, but high impedance instead of low impedance (ignoring the hose tail/oring difference).

I spoke to someone in New Zeland recently who said they had done quite a bit of testing with injectors and has found that even the RB20DET eccs injectors work fine on an RB30ET with stock management, regardless of the impedance difference. With my understanding of impedance, I can see how this might be the case (using high in place of low, but not the other way around). However I'm sure I read somewhere that there is also a timing difference in how high/low impedance injectors open.

My question is, does anyone think I'll have problems using RB20DET ECCS injectors on my RB30ET, despite the impedance difference? I don't mind giving it a shot with a spare ECU (just in case) and even putting it on the dyno to verify the results, but I thought I'd check on here first. Obviously the problem is that uncleaned or original RB30ET/NICS injectors are hard to find, and there seems to be lots of sets of RB20DET ECCS injectors floating around.

Nathan

this is a commen prob with the rb30 injectors as i have found at work, i feel the best way to fix the problem is to either not get them cleaned or just buy a set of new injectors. the price of injectors for rb30 motors have come down a heap in price and i fitted a set the other day, cost around $40 each at trade price. hope the info helps.

this is a commen prob with the rb30 injectors as i have found at work, i feel the best way to fix the problem is to either not get them cleaned or just buy a set of new injectors. the price of injectors for rb30 motors have come down a heap in price and i fitted a set the other day, cost around $40 each at trade price. hope the info helps.

i was quoted $150 each for RB30ET (turbo) injectors the other day.

hence my investigating other options!!

what brand were the ones you got?

I have a full set of RB20DET injectors that you are welcome to try before you buy if you like. 2 have been test cleaned so they don't have the pinzle caps or filter baskets in place. This means all six you have to be cleaned before you could use them. I had no problems with them before they cam to rest. Let me know if you are interested....I would probably want in the area of $150 for the whole set including rail.