SAU Community

fuel pump replacement

J_T

hey guys, with trying to get more into my car, doing more hands on stuff instead of getting someone else to and to save some money, im trying to learn as much as i can myself....

my car has a bosch fuel pump which is stupidly whining and loud.... taking it to a mechanic and dyno....its been decided its probably stuffed....

can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace this yourself?? or is it best left to the pro's???

It is not very hard.. for a mechanic but then again it would be near impossible to teach my sister to do it...

in an r33 gts the fuel pump is situated in the boot to the right of where your battery is.. under a grey cover that is located by 4 screws.. you have to undo three fuel lines and 2 electical connecters.. then you have to un screw a big plastic nut in order to get the pump out of the tank....

there is a rubber seal that seals the pump-assembly & cover in place, *make sure you don't drop it into the tank* because if it gets lots of fuel on it, it breaks really easily, and will probably need replacing.

also be careful reconnecting the fuel lines, coz when the car is like 10-15 years old they break easily.

just keep in mind the above things, replacing fuel pump is easy to do yourself. You'll need a basic set of socket wrenches, a screw driver, some pliers and a soldering iron.

If you want a good replacement pump, for better reliability & fuel flow than stock, look here:

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...showtopic=90811

i am using one of the walbro's myself, and they are excellent. It's a good reliability mod, since fuel pump failure can kill engines!

Joel,

Get a Walbro 255, i got one a couple of months ago and its all sweet. Numerous performance shops prefer walbro's to bosch.

well im only going with the bosch cos thats wots in it at the moment and gets 230kw so will save me having to retune and also cos i can get it a cpl of hundred dollars cheaper

thanks peeps for the replies

stick with the bosch.. walbros are just a cheap equivelent.

Just because its loud, doesn't mean its stuffed. That is often perfectly natural with the Bosch pumps (and most aftermarket fuel pumps)

yeah im happy to stick to bosch and i know they are loud but now after having new one installed.... u can tell it was f$%^#d so yeah all is good and im happy now its back to running sweet as....thanks for the replys guys

hey well my new 044 is installed and all good and nice an quiet.... which goes to show the old one was f$%ked

thanks for all the reply's guys