SAU Community

DBA 4000 slotted rotor?

Hi

Antone using the DBA 4000 Slotted rotor? Anyone feedback.

Thinking of using this with race brakes rb74 brake pad, what do you think of this setup?

Also what is the cold braking like with this rotor does it need to be 'heated up' before it starts to grab?

I found just going down my street brake hard at the end, then go down the next street (20-30m) brake hard again its good enough. I found more heat the better it got. And I still havent experienced any real brake fade. Saying that I havent been out to the track yet either.

Ive got dba4000 slotted on front with rb74 pads and they work heaps better than the stock stuff i had before.

They heat up pretty fast, as Dave said usually within the first minute or so of driving theyre not so good, but after that their great!

I'm interested in feedback here too.

Particulalry in the wear and tear of pads.

I've 'heard' that normal pads last around 60,000kms depending on how you drive.

The slotted ones reduce this to about 20,000kms....

True or not true? Or somewhere in the middle...

Thanks.. ;)

I am running DBA 4000 series rotors & RB74 pads on my R32 Gt-R. They are good for both street & track use. Be aware that they will start to squeal if you haven't given them a pasting for a while.

The rotors come with thermographic paint on them. The paint on mine have flashed off which indicated temperatures above the 600 degree mark (From memory) The brakes still worked well at those temps, however the hotter they get the more pad wear you get. Make sure you warm them up & cool them down properly.

Rotors stand up well to the pads. If you do some track days you pads wont last anything like 40,000 kms. Mine are set for the bin after about 5,000kms. If you just want them for road use, you may be better with something other than RB74's.

Also, use some Motul RBF600 fluid with them. No point having flash pads if the brake fluid is boiling its arse off.

I'm interested in feedback here too.

Particulalry in the wear and tear of pads.

I've 'heard' that normal pads last around 60,000kms depending on how you drive.

The slotted ones reduce this to about 20,000kms....

True or not true?  Or somewhere in the middle...

Thanks..  :(

If your still using stock pads maybe. But I would think you would upgrade both at the same time.

Also look at the RDA brakes tho, just as another option, a few people on here have them, seem to like them. Im going to put them on the rear when I get around to it, see how they go there.

It depends on how hard you use them. I've only done 2 track days and a few mountain climbs on them and they havent needed machining. Troy had his done a couple of months ago after a few track days i Believe, he can correct me if i'm wrong. You'll need to get them machined a few times before they need replacing.

I can't remember why, but i was under the impression you can't machine the 4000 slotted discs????

Why?

Of course you can.

Yep their own brand of pads

If you are ordering some pads from RaceBrakes make sure you tell them you are a member of a car club (eg WASCC) & you will get a 10% discount or thereabouts.

Also, it pays to order them a bit before you need them. Racebrakes seem to have problems getting the backing plates for the pads & hence you sometimes have to wait. They will sell you a Toyota pad modified to fit a GT-R, which works fine.

Damn, I just got a new set of green EBC last month from another local workshop, was told that RB74 is actually better than EBC...

Damn, I just got a new set of green EBC last month from another local workshop, was told that RB74 is actually better than EBC...

Don't get too hung up about brake pads. How you modulate your braking effort (ie how hard you push) & how well you heel and toe down change will determine how effective you braking is - much more so that the last little bit of friction coefficient on the brake pads.

In any case I struggle to get more than one gee out of the brakes of my R32 GT-R. This means I usually get hosed by such cars as Westfield 7's or early series RX-7 which can crack 1.2 gees with relative ease.