SAU Community

pod or air box?

Just got my FMIC installed today... good work all round for a DIY job (will post up in thread and blog later on). The bad news is that the factory snorkel for the R34 is no longer usable since the IC piping is in the way.

What next? Looks like I'll have to fabricate a new snorkel somewhere or go for the pod. I really don't feel like going for the Pod atm since it's "illegal" and it's going to cost me a fair bit to get it all right (pod, CAI, etc.).

Just got my FMIC installed today...  good work all round for a DIY job (will post up in thread and blog later on).  The bad news is that the factory snorkel for the R34 is no longer usable since the IC piping is in the way. 

What next?  Looks like I'll have to fabricate a new snorkel somewhere or go for the pod.  I really don't feel like going for the Pod atm since it's "illegal" and it's going to cost me a fair bit to get it all right (pod, CAI, etc.).

I like this. A mate of mine did the plastic welding for me.

This is on R33 GTSt

El Bee

post-1570-1126351471.jpg

post-1570-1126351513.jpg

I used a grinder to cut the shape around the piping, then my mate cut a section of this thick plastic that we use in our line of work.

He warmed it to get the bend and then "plastic welded" the new section to the air intake. The plastic welding consists of using a pencil type torch and melding the two plastics together.

It looks pretty good. The rough sections you can see are where I had a go and fixed some small pin-holes that he left after filing it nice and smooth.

El Bee

post-1570-1126352679.jpg

post-1570-1126352770.jpg

post-1570-1126352794.jpg

FARKIN that's MAD!!!  Thanks El Bee.... you've now solved my problem :rofl:  Time to start fabricatin'

Thanks for that, most helpful :blink:

No worries. Good luck with it.

It looks like it was made that way eh?

When you open the bonnet it looks quite standard.

I found the piping was scarily close to the fan blades and so went with a 16 inch thermo rather than trim the blades.

All the best.

El Bee

Hey El Bee

After being inspired by your photos last night, I hit my stock snorkel with the angle grinder today :huh: The results were quite good considering my first real attempt at plastic modification.

I haven't had time to do the plastic welding yet, will have to fabricate some pieces, so I just used so heat proof tape for the time being. Looks kinda the same as yours, but ultimately I hope it to look just as "factory" as your creation.

Cheers for the idea; tell me what you think!!!

p91117173uq.th.jpg p91117180sb.th.jpg

Thanks

Stan

• 4 weeks later...

I read in some mags that pod filters are useless....well they are there for the looks and the sound sound like the car is alive, breathing...I like that effect....I replaced my factory filter with HKS green mushroom and ...no difference in perfomance......

while more air is sucked in by the pod filter...those air are warm, unshielded from the engine bay... warm air has lesser density, lesser Oxygen for combustion...in effect mushroom = factory...

I discussed adding heat shield around the filter with the mechanics...there are some carbon fibre ones available...but if you think abt it, the air is still from the engine bay only less hot and heat shield would restrict the air flow....end up with warm air and lesser volume sucked into the filter, even worse effect....

standard is the best I guess...I switch only because I want my car alive!! lol

you shield the hot air from the pod, then you create an airflow into the section that houses the pod.

a pod filter not only increases air flow, but makes the throttle more responsive as well

I read in some mags that pod filters are useless....well they are there for the looks and the sound sound like the car is alive, breathing...I like that effect....I replaced my factory filter with HKS green mushroom and ...no difference in perfomance......

:D i do believe your an idiot......

i've got the same pod filter, and like dezz said.... you can feel a sharper throttle response with it there....

Hey El Bee

After being inspired by your photos last night, I hit my stock snorkel with the angle grinder today :D  The results were quite good considering my first real attempt at plastic modification. 

I haven't had time to do the plastic welding yet, will have to fabricate some pieces, so I just used so heat proof tape for the time being.  Looks kinda the same as yours, but ultimately I hope it to look just as "factory" as your creation.

Cheers for the idea; tell me what you think!!!

p91117173uq.th.jpg p91117180sb.th.jpg

Thanks

Stan

Hey Stan, just noticed your post.

Yes, I did the same thing (2 stage process). I first ground the section away and as a temporary measure I fashioned some thick cardboard to cover and wrapped it around with duct tape.

This was until I could get the car and my mate and the plastic all in the same place.

Glad you like it.

El Bee

• 2 weeks later...
I like this. A mate of mine did the plastic welding for me.

This is on R33 GTSt

El Bee

Thats an excellent idea.

I replaced my airbox with a pod a CAI then I got a Hybrid FMIC kit & I couldnt fit the snorkel due to the piping, but this idea should fix that problem.

Before FMIC

020105%20fsc%20bbq%20008b.JPG

After FMIC

110305%20011.jpg

Looks like Im getting myself a new grinder :D

I have a pod filter on my R32, but had to remove it to pass the pits. It passed initial inspection because the bracket holding it in place was sufficient to stop it moving around, but apparently there was too much induction noise so it failed first time (the guy was an absolute tosser btw). So I borrowed a factory airbox to get it past the pits. The drive to the pits revealed no big differences between the two as far as performance (my car has a cat-back but is otherwise stock btw). The biggest difference was the change in noise - the factory box is much quieter. I think for unmodified and lightly modified cars, the pod filter has a bit of a placebo effect - you just think you are going faster.

I am considering swapping to the factory box on a full time basis to kill some of the induction noise.

I've been driving the car for 4 months now; the panel filter was one of the first things I did to the car... as mentioned, the performance to be had from a hi-flow panel filter is very good - i think people would only vouch for them if they worked!

During my last dyno tune, we did an experiment with the cover from the air box off (to simulate what a pod would do). The outcome was 5 more rwkw, but think about this... we had a fan aimed straight at the intake, the bonnet was up and it was a "test" environment - there is no way you'll get those conditions on the road.

Keep it legal, keep the air box :D

And for those who just want induction noise, install a FMIC and your car will come alive.

gR33ddy, where did you get your CAI box from... was it from maxx? He still hasn't replied anyone so I just gave up. The only reason I want one is for RICEY goodness under the bonnet!