SAU Community

Speeding Camera - question, multiple lanes..

Hey Guys..

On the F3 this morning, i had this scenario.. (3 lane highway section)

*Driving doing about 105 in the 90 zone, right hand lane (plenty of traffic, 05:45 am this morning)

*Two guys right up my arse - so i pull over into the middle lane to let them go

*Slowing down to about 99km - the two guys pass me doing about 110km..

*As they pass, one flash from the side of the road - i slam the brakes on, slow down to about 95km..

*Second flash as the other guy passes me..

The thing im wondering is this cop was in the far left section of the road - in the fog - without a sign (as far as i can tell, but cant testify to this) so as far as im concerned im between him and the two guys speeding past me..

SO - does the camera and flash reach across three highway lanes, or does it focus on only the closest two ? and if so, would the speed recorded be my own or the speed of the two clowns whizzing past me ?

Not sure which cars the camera would have picked up, but most police officers allow a 10% buffer. So depending on how the officer had his radar set up, if you were doing 99 and under when the flash went off, it was more than likely the two cars in the far right lane that were caught.

Just wait it out and see what comes in the mail.

Not sure what its like in NSW, but down here if there is more than 1 car in the photo then you can't be booked since they have no certain way to tell which car is speeding.

yea not really sure - im just thinking that if my car was the only one to show up, it may be clocked at the speed the other guys were driving at...

is there anything about fog, line of sight, or rules/etc about operating speed cameras in obscured sitatuons ??

I know that you have to have the sign out when you are operating the speed camera - so if its foggy, wouldnt that be negated ?

The biggest problem with this is that your going to struggle to argue against it if they do happen to book you.

Margin wise - it's usually 10% which is in line with speedo accuracy.. however victoria has a much lower threshold than NSW.

As for which one they pick up.. not much you can do if you get the ticket.. unless you weren't speeding.. than it comes back to proving your innocent.

I doubt they would operate if they weren't able to book you - good luck though!!! hopefully you'll be right!

You'll be right.

Almost all speedos are under what they show anyway so 10% plus the error of your speedo and you're right.

Also, if they book you, request the photo and post it up.

This has happened to me a bit. Although i have never been the one speeding.

I must be in about 5 photos from the camera on Carlingford road. Each time i write down the date/time/rego of other car/s. Just incase i can't remember what happened.

I haven't received any fines yet and some of these photos were from early last year.

Touch wood!!

That exact camera on f3 I was driving at about 90km/h in the left lane and 2 commodores went past at least 130km/h in the 2 right lights and the camera flashed twice.

I didnt get anything in the mail... so it must get all 3 lanes.

I'm pretty sure that if the officer is wearing a full uniform standing infront of his marked police car/bike then they dont need a sign in NSW. Then again they dont take pictures if they have the 'gun' - they chase you down. They only need a sign when its an unmanned car with an automatic camera. Its a little blue swinging sign 20x60cm or so, placed on the ground about 10m from the car with the camera.

I'd go on the 10% rule - i've driven past the M5 tunnel ones at 88km/h with no fine...

id say your safe, if there is more than one object (car) of equal size in the picture im pretty sure they cant give you the fine because theres no way of determining which car it was as it sends out lots of beams.......if they do id be requesting the photo

some nice bit of doco 78vbsle ...ill be sure to keep it in mind..

If i do get done, ill definetely be asking for the photo..

fyi guys - he was in one of the white stationwagons...there couldve been a blue swingy sign saying camera in use...however with the extreme fog it wasnt visible..