SAU Community

Intercooler pipes - what colour???????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Hey All

I just fitted a arc fmic kit but keep my original r33 cooler pipes. This is more of a bling bling question but what colour do you think looks cool on a s1 r33 burgandy coloured car...most people have blue, but what other colours look cool...any pics of you cars would really help....cheers

I reckon chrome, but its a personal thing, so you may not like/want chrome..

Just a question dude, Did you fit the cooler yourself and if so how much modifying had to be done to the front bar?

I have a series one and theres not much room there..

How about Black

Thats what i was thinking GTST. At the end of the day i would prefer how my car goes and performs than the way it looks.

GO B4 SHOW fella's.

Think of it this way, why are radiators/stock coolers black???

SOMETHING TO DO WITH HEAT AND ABSORPTION :confused:

I just meant cause he's using the stock ones.. which are already black.

why bother spending money on it.

use your money better like mailing it to me.

it'll make you feel better about yourself.

:cheers:

black or polished are nicest i know people are going to say polished and chrome look the same but they dont... on that note though polishing is a pain in the arse and usually requires to much maintenance to keep looking good.

black is the best colour because it will disapate heat the best if you really want GO B4 SHOW then wrap the pipping in that heat proof tape that would stop any heat soak on the way to the plenum = more horses cause cooler charge air temp. <---- note that it might not be all that much of an improvment however.

:werd:

i was thinking about the heat proof tape but i heard that moisure is trapped underneath when the engine cools down and causes rust

its not worth the trouble as the air passes through the pipes too quick for the heat of the pipe to have much effect on it.

i would recommend black piping, do you really want it to stand out when you get pulled over?

Think of it this way, why are radiators/stock coolers black???

It's called emissivity - ability to absorb or shed heat.

Darker colours absorb heat and release (or emit) heat quicker than lighter colours do.

ps I'd go black too

:D

stock radiators and coolers are black, because black reacts quicker to temp changes than any other colour.

if you have a black car and a white car sitting in the sun, the black one will heat up before the white one, but when you take them both for a drive, and the temp changes with the moving air....the black one will cool down quicker. true story.

also... if you have the standard mild steel ones, paint them black, then wrap them neatly with heat tape. looks tough and works... if you wanna spend $$ then get some aluminum piping made up and get it polished, aluminium dissipates heat at twice the rate of mild steel.

cheers

Linton