SAU Community

MAGIC Cat vs NEW CATCO Cat

If the tests do eventually get done (fingers crossed), I would like to see the results on the same car with a straight thru pipe (ie no Cat at all), standard nissan cat, catco cat and a Magic cat..

Wishfull thinking???? :(

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is getting very interesting now. I'm hoping that magic passes the tests but if it doesn't i'll be interested to know.

shaun: Don't worry man, if it does happen to fail none of this reflects on you, you aren't a distributor or salesman for magic, just someone who went out of their way to organise a group buy. Noone would expect you to know. Even if it fails i'll still stick it on and worry about it when i have to get epa tested :(

Hopefully though it all goes good and this is just a false alarm.

BATMBL: The thing i like most about this forum is that people go out of their way to help others for no particular reason. I'll be the first to agree that i'm a cynic, but i think you should have stated this thread as mre of a question about the legitimacy of magic cats, rather than stating it as all fact when you have no hard evidence to show us. Of course if it turns out you're right i'll be appreciative for knowing, but i'm not sure you went about it the right way.

hopefully hear soon anyway

done. when do you want to do the test?

btw, i have already run a dyno test with a r32gtst that had a standard cat and then changed it this new catco cat - a 10KWRW GAIN, from 148kwrw to 158kwrw. stock boost, stock everything else, except for a 3.5" catback which was on there for both tests.

sydneykid,

with regards to the prices, again, you are speaking USA, not AUS. if you can quote me a price from a retailer here for a catco 3" cat for those prices, i would be completely shocked....and yes catco passes these californian emissions, which are stircter than ours here anyway.

this new catco cat will not be found on the list in the catco catalog or distributed in USA, as the insides are only bought from the manufacturer and the body is made here in aus. this was only possible due to the close links between the manufacturer in USA and Catco here.

and these are the days of our lives.......

i like these put up or shut up showdowns....

look forward to seeing the results SK and Batmbl

Matt

Last few highflow cats i bought were Magnaflow.

On the box it says they are EPA and CARB qualified.

Thats enough for me to be happy that they will work as a catalytic converter. I imagine they could get in serious crap if they claimed this on packaging and it wasn't true.

Surely CATCO and MAGIC should have EPA and CARB papers to prove they work?

Can anyone here provide papers for either of the cats in question?

Do they state what standards they meet on the packaging?

hot4s, speed and autosalon magazine have done reveiws on these magic cats and they are very free flowing i think it was 400cfm or sumfink like that. <---- thats the 4 inch one

seem pretty good to me go the magic one.

hot4s, speed and autosalon magazine have done reveiws on these magic cats and they are very free flowing i think it was 400cfm or sumfink like that. <---- thats the 4 inch one  

seem pretty good to me go the magic one.

This thread has got nothing to do with how much they flow. :cheers:

We are discussing wether they actually work at reducing emissions.

RB30 power,

the discussion is not whether catco has the epa and carbs approvals, everyone knows they do......and yes its also on the packaging. however the thread is about magic not complying with either of the two, nor having any paperwork to prove it. im not sure about the packaging, though i would imagine it wont say anything about epa and carb approvals.

msg_chris,

the cfm is actually more than that, but that is beside the point of the discussion in this thread...

done. when do you want to do the test?

btw, i have already run a dyno test with a r32gtst that had a standard cat and then changed it this new catco cat - a 10KWRW GAIN, from 148kwrw to 158kwrw. stock boost, stock everything else, except for a 3.5" catback which was on there for both tests.

sydneykid,

with regards to the prices, again, you are speaking USA, not AUS. if you can quote me a price from a retailer here for a catco 3" cat for those prices, i would be completely shocked....and yes catco passes these californian emissions, which are stircter than ours here anyway.

When, that's a very good question;

We have a race meeting this weelend at Philip Island, then one next weekend at Oran Park. I finished doing the cambelt change and adjustable exhaust camshaft pulley fittment on the Stagea during the week. For those interested, the how to guide, with pictures, will be finished on the Stagea forum on Monday. I hope to have the 3.25" exhaust fitted during next week. I will pick up the new Magic cat during next week as well. I have already PM'd Abflug and indicated the week after next as a target. I will want to get a base line emmisions for the Stagea first, using the compliance cat.

With regards to the R32GTST tests, I had read the results previously, but I was extemely sceptical. The quoted RB20DET output is ~165 kw at the engine, so how it makes 148rwkw standard is beyond my comprephension. We have dyno'd at least 15 and they never make much more than 115 rwkw when standard and 125 rwkw with an exhaust only. Excuse me for it, but I simply ignored the results on that basis alone.

Re cat prices, the reality of the world today is I can order a Catco product from any one of the 50+ suppliers in the US at those prices and have it delivered to me in a few days. There is no import duty from the US any more, good on you Johnny Free Trade Agreement, so I only have postage to worry about. It is very unlikely to get caught for GST, it is under $US100 after all. If it does get caught, it's only 10% anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't quote the US prices to indicate a rip off in Australia. I did it to show how much the catalytic coating really costs, there were a few posts indicating that coating was expensive. When the truth is, it simply isn't, $US10 would cover it easily.

Enough for now, it's been a long day:cheers:

sydneykid,

PM me about when you are able to go exactly, i''ll see if i can make it there etc, i would like to check this out for myself also.

not sure about why the kwrw was at 148 on standard, but i wasnt there doing the testing, it was done by someone neutral to every reason i got the dyno's done. i just dropped off the car, and when i came back after a few days, i got the dyno sheets. i just told them what i wanted done, thats it.

also, regardless of the fact that coating can cost $10 or $100, it doesnt mean that every cat manufactured in the world has it, or should i say has the right amount of the different catalysts in the coat to pass emissions in here in aus or let alone california. if they all did or if it was that easy, then every brand of cat and its series would have EPA & CARB approvals, every cat would be suitable to be used for compliance, and this discussion wouldnt have started. anyways, speak to you soon.

you may as well buy the magic cat through the group buy here to get it at that cheap price, then do your test, it will save you some $$$.

Hey, i can get Magic Cats cheap! lol.

Whilst we're keeping the thread informative:

defamation is a false statement maliciously made to injure another's reputation.

slander is oral communication of such statements

libel is written/printed/etc. communication of such statements

So when Michael alleged that the MAGIC cats will not pass an emission test, his statement only becomes libel if MAGIC cats are proven to pass the tests; therefore Michael's statement has been proven false. Up until then, as someone pointed out, it's just heresay.

;)

Mark

PS That's not to say Michael's statement will be proven false, that was just a way to explain the terms cause a lot of guys have them mixed up.

awesome thread guys and thankfully it aint been closed as people do want to hear the TRUTH not bullshit so hopefully the magic cat passes as i bought one for the stagea when they where bloody $500 which was abit $$$.

good luck guys ;)

Brad