SAU Community

MAGIC Cat vs NEW CATCO Cat

i wouldn't get too stressed until the verification comes through man. I don't see how they could call it a catalytic converter legally if it didn't actually catalyse properly. I don't wanna wait though lol

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah guys, i wouldnt worry until we get some definative results. If the Magic cat fails, ill take it back and get a refund! It shouldnt be up to us to test it; but it'll be interesting. Thats IF it fails. im with shif_tea above^^^^.

Should it not be as simple as the company distibuting "Magic Cat" providing documentation to prove that their Cat Converters meet ASE or ADR ( or whatever they are ) requirements / regs ???? It just seems far too simple for the distributors to clear their name and get back on with selling their product........ :confused:

I guess on the other hand.......is there any documentation available for the "Catco" Cats that says "it" is approved for use in Australia under ADR's etc ??

I know the US / California regs are more strict than ours, but that does not mean by default that the parts are accepted for use in AUS.

I guess another question would be: Is ASE Engineering Approval required for the fitment of one of these cats since neither is OEM fitment.

Not trying to stir up any $hit. Just throwing a few more bones out there for all to chew on :(

Quick update;

I have a new Magic cat for the test

Thanks to BATMBL, I now have the measurements of the Catco (flange to flange is 317mm)

So I can now get the Magic cat's flanges welded on to those dimensions

That will make a swap over easy, if it is necessary

Thanks to ABFLUG we have a RAWS standard facility to test the emissions

I will post up more progress as it happens:cheers:

What diameter are the flanges/exhaust on the test car out of interest? Still planning a dyno test?

My plans have been a delayed a little, so if you need another Magic cat for testing I have one sitting on my floor :(

Lucien.

Quick update;  

I have a new Magic cat for the test

Thanks to BATMBL, I now have the measurements of the Catco (flange to flange is 317mm)

So I can now get the Magic cat's flanges welded on to those dimensions

That will make a swap over easy, if it is necessary

Thanks to ABFLUG we have a RAWS standard facility to test the emissions

I will post up more progress as it happens:cheers:

whilst you are at it should you want to compare to a genuine GTR car I have one sitting around. would be a good basline.

1. What diameter are the flanges/exhaust on the test car out of interest?

2. Still planning a dyno test?

3. My plans have been a delayed a little, so if you need another Magic cat for testing I have one sitting on my floor :(

Lucien.

Hi LW

1. 3.25"

2. I know the magic cat doesn't loose any power over a 3" piece of pipe on a car with 300 rwkw, already tested that several months ago. If we have time when tuning the Stagea I might do a back to back comparing the compliance cat with the Magic Cat. But I already know the compliance cat is crap, so it won't tell me much.

3. Might take you up on that, have you had the flanges welded on yet? If so what's the flange to flange measurement? (Hopefully ~317mm).

:(

No flanges welded on: its still in its (dodgey) box and bubble wrap from Magic. My interest -- hence the question -- in the dyno test is more to see if the Catco also has no negative impacts on performance.

Cheers,

Lucien.

whilst you are at it should you want to compare to a genuine GTR car I have one sitting around. would be a good basline.

It has been my experience that genuine GTR cats are very good. What is the flange to flange measurement? (Hopefully ~317mm). If it is, then I might take you up on it as well, that way I can do a 3 way back to back. If BATMBL wants to loan me a Catco, I will make it a 4 way, emissions and dyno test. As long as ABFLUG doesn't mind doing 4 emissions tests.

:(

PS; Julian/Ben/Martin if we do this, and I write an article, will you publish it?

No flanges welded on:  its still in its (dodgey) box and bubble wrap from Magic.  My interest -- hence the question -- in the dyno test is more to see if the Catco also has no negative impacts on performance.

Cheers,

Lucien.

This is growing all the time. If I borrow your Magic Cat, it will come back with stainless steel 3.25" flanges welded on it. Is that OK with you? Let's take this off line via PM if you like.:(

This is growing all the time.  If I borrow your Magic Cat, it will come back with stainless steel 3.25" flanges welded on it.  Is that OK with you?  Let's take this off line via PM if you like.:P

You have PM.

Lucien

I'm excited!! this is the showdown of the century, beats all that shapelle corby sh1t for intrigue and suspense by far!! they should make a drama miniseries about this i reckon!!

EDIT: SK if those girls in your pics are in your crew, can i be too?? I'll do whatever you want, fetch drinks, clean the floor, polish your engine bay (thats not some sort of sexual metaphor either, it was literal). I'm beginning to think that i'm definitely in the wrong field!!!

I can see it now:

"Its a story, about a man and his Catalytic converter. Stuggling against the odds to clear his name, and finally be re-united with his exhaust"

Rivetting stuff, reckon we could get Russell Crowe to play the lead?? And someone like Al pacino to play BATMBL's part. hahaha

It has been my experience that genuine GTR cats are very good.  What is the flange to flange measurement? (Hopefully ~317mm).  If it is, then I might take you up on it as well, that way I can do a 3 way back to back.  If BATMBL wants to loan me a Catco, I will make it a 4 way, emissions and dyno test.  As long as ABFLUG doesn't mind doing 4 emissions tests.

:)

PS; Julian/Ben/Martin if we do this, and I write an article, will you publish it?

Ready when you are SK just let me know.