SAU Community

MAGIC Cat vs NEW CATCO Cat

Hmm wasn't on anyones side before but I'm sort of leading towards Michael's claims being true.

Quoted from Magic Performance themselves:

"The RTA does the testing for the EPA in NSW. They told us they do not defect or fine you if you fail.

If you do get defected by the EPA you have to send the test results to the EPA to clear the defect.

Although Magic Catalytic Converters are manufactured to the highest standards there are many reasons why a modified motor may fail an emissions test. Nearly every modification you make takes the vehicle further from passing the test.

It is unrealistic to expect any catalytic converter to fix all the problems you may have created. Also the emission standards required have changed many times over the last twenty years so it depends on the age of the vehicle which standard is required."

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...showtopic=99539

He seems abit reluctant to claim whether I'll pass emissions with the Magic Cat or not. But I may just be over-speculating.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exciting stuff. Real community, real people doing real things. I have a tear in my eye...

Would be really good to see the side by side tests of stock/CATCO/Magic. Would also be a good indication of by how much cars with exhausts fail the emission tests.

Hmm wasn't on anyones side before but I'm sort of leading towards Michael's claims being true.

Quoted from Magic Performance themselves:

"The RTA does the testing for the EPA in NSW. They told us they do not defect or fine you if you fail.

If you do get defected by the EPA you have to send the test results to the EPA to clear the defect.

Although Magic Catalytic Converters are manufactured to the highest standards there are many reasons why a modified motor may fail an emissions test. Nearly every modification you make takes the vehicle further from passing the test.

It is unrealistic to expect any catalytic converter to fix all the problems you may have created. Also the emission standards required have changed many times over the last twenty years so it depends on the age of the vehicle which standard is required."

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...showtopic=99539

He seems abit reluctant to claim whether I'll pass emissions with the Magic Cat or not. But I may just be over-speculating.

I had a bit of a read through that forum thread on ns, its interesting he also said this

"The Magic new technology metallic substrate catalytic converters flow up to 50% more so are less restrictive than traditional high flow catalytic converters, and meet the RTA's requirement for having a catalytic converter fitted to the vehicle.

For those who are really concerned that their vehicle passes emission requirements the NSW RTA offers a free testing service."

Did anyone know about this?? Very interesting!! So we could've just taken the cats to the rta to test......huh. Anyway still wanna know how this turns out.

Guest DIRTgarage
EDIT: SK if those girls in your pics are in your crew, can i be too?? I'll do whatever you want, fetch drinks, clean the floor, polish your engine bay (thats not some sort of sexual metaphor either, it was literal). I'm beginning to think that i'm definitely in the wrong field!!!

Just like you...I was fooled into thinking that Sydneykid owned/worked/raced for this team....On chatting with Phil Coles and the owner of this team "Branster" I come to learn that Sydneykid...aka Gary. Is not even KNOWN by these guys. Yes like you I have been misled by some of the things that have been said by Sydneykid and thought that at least he was a mate of theirs....but it was not to be.

So we could've just taken the cats to the rta to test......

How many people are going to make their cars known to the RTA? Any volunteers? No? How suprising :D

Either Magic Performance is being extremely careful about what he says so he doesn't get sued later on (which is smart), or he is aware his product doesn't meet the EPA standards.

Either way, we will find out soon enough.

LW.

Hurry up and get the results already, this is turning into an episode of who wants to be a millionaire with eddie just dragging things on and on :)

heheh, cant wait to see all the results

It's only been a week, let SK take his time and do it right, so when the results come in they're beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I also think having BATMBL there is a good idea so there's at least ONE of the concerned parties there to "verify" things, if you could get someone from Magic on board too that'd be even better, but my gut says that wont happen.

Good on you SK for taking your own time out to test these things for the community.

Sorry for those waiting patiently, it's very hectic around here. We have a race meeting in Darwin this weekend (1 car), Sandown (2 cars) in 2 weeks then Oran Park (4 cars) the next week. I simply haven't had much time for sleep, let alone Stagea mods and testing. It IS planned for next week at this stage.

:)

Wait next week meaning this week? If so hell yes! Making money now so I'd definately like to see results as I'm wanting to get my exhaust done in next week or so. :D

This from NS.com

Here are some facts on Metallic Substrate Catalytic Converters:

There are now several suppliers of this type of product in Austalia.

Metallic Substrates are superior to traditional Ceramic Substrates which have been used by the previous "name brands" of high flow catalytic converters. This is because the walls of the substrate are thinner, allowing greater flow.

Metallic Substrate Catalytic Converters flow up to 50% more than their traditional competitors.

Catalytic Converter substrates are coated with material which produces changes in the gases which pass over them. The more cells per square inch the more effective is the catalytic process because there is more surface area.

Magic Cats are constructed with a 300 cell per square inch metallic substrate, and 304 stainless steel body.

For legal reasons in California, USA only, catalytic converters fitted there must be stamped with a code which indicates the manufacturer of the product. The code should be stamped after the letters CA. followed by the year of manufacture.

The letters "xx" are not a manufacturers code. The stamping of CAxx on a catalytic converter means nothing.

Any catalytic converter which is not a direct fit replacement for the original will need modification to fit a vehicle's exhaust, or the exhaust modified to fit the cat.

MAGIC is a registered trademark.

Magic Cats have been independently flow tested against major competitors products.

Magic Performance provide a range of products to fit 3 inch, 3 1/2 inch and 4 inch exhausts.

Magic Performance is the only supplier of Metallic Substrate Catalytic Converters in Australia with inlet and outlet of four inches.

If you have any questions about extreme flow catalytic converters, phone Magic Performance on 02 99391644 or post here. We actually know what we are doing, not just selling the product.  

Cheers,

The team at MAGIC PERFORMANCE

Link: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=101300

Still nothing to say they're street legal for Aus though, tempted to ask him...

thats because they arent, notice how he avoids it all along. also, the stamping he is talking about is for the body of the CAT (which is not what the discussion is on this thread), not the 'stamping' on the substrate itself.

it seems as though he mentions his substrate is "300 cell per sq inch metallic substrate", whereas the catco is 200 cell. this means the catco cat's substrate is even better for flow!

also he is saying that "Magic Performance is the only supplier of Metallic Substrate Catalytic Converters in Australia with inlet and outlet of four inches". ...that is obvisouly wrong too, as the catco cat can be cut to look just like the Magic cat, or should i say Magic 'pipe' if you want 4" inlet/outlet, as its made for up to 4" if you have piping that large...

I think we should just let the result do the talking rather than having lengthy theoretical discussions. :)

SK is very busy at the moment, but I'm sure he will get around to this ASAP.

Lucien.

i have a magic cat. a standard car with the guts nocked out. haha i would like to see results of a epa test on paper as i need a new cat before i get tested. maybe the people who own the products should supply a document with each cat sold stating the test results. then everyone is happy.

I am very intrested in the results from this testing as I am in the market for a new cat, and not taking either side here, but here is an intresting post from Magic on ns.com made when asked about epa tests...

(20th post) http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...topic=99539&hl=

The RTA does the testing for the EPA in NSW. They told us they do not defect or fine you if you fail.

It is unrealistic to expect any catalytic converter to fix all the problems you may have created. Also the emission standards required have changed many times over the last twenty years so it depends on the age of the vehicle which standard is required.