SAU Community

Oil Pressure Irratic

Coxy_

Hey guys I dont know if this would pose a problem or not but lately Ive noticed that the oil pressure guage in the car doesnt read right?? either that or theres a bigger problem:

most of the time it will sit comfortably at 2 bar on idle - but occasionally it will drop down to 1 bar on idle (it was less than this the other day!)? when driving it sits lower also but the car runs fine, then I can turn it off and back on or keep driving and it seems to correct itself... I checked the oil and its probably slightly overfilled if anything, oil temp doesnt increase, and it doesnt seem to be eating it - any ideas?

you will find that erratic signals display on the gauges are fairly common on nissans.

If you suspect there really are no problems with the engine, id say its most likely a faulty oil pressure sender unit. I had the same problem with the pressure sender unit on my 32, my 33 had problems with the tacho gauge, so im guessing there may be some problems with 34's also

cool. yeah I certainly hope theres no problem with the engine!! it seems to run ok I would have thought if there was a pressure problem there the engine wouldnt run as well as it should.. do you think its possible that the oil pump could have a problem?? sometimes I have to give it a bit of a thrashing to get it to come back to normal again

mine is very similar

Every now and again when the engine is warm, I turn the car on and the oil pressure sits at 1 or even less.

Give the throttle a blip and it seems to come good - goes up to 2 at idle.

Also, every now and again, while driving it drops down very low, then comes up again.

Doesn't matter what the driving style.

Can't imagine it is an engine problem, probably the sender unit.

I actually kept having the same problems on my line. I got a Trust GReddy oil cap, from autobarn for like 95 or something. Surprisingly it actually fixed my oil pressure problems that were reading on the gauge. It now sits where it should...may be worth a shot for u guys

does it on mine.. I was worried for a bit, but I think all other engine signs are fairly normal so it doesn't worry me too much. Next oil change I might run some slightly higher viscosity oil.. maybe 15W instead of 10W

• 2 weeks later...

i just drove 2500 kms in two non consecutive days, and on the trip down it was at 2kg/cm and then 1/4 into trip it is sitting on 1kg/cm ! I was also concerned having just got the car a week ago !

But it didn't bother it ..... on the 1250km trip home it never moved off 2kg/cm ...... so i assumed a intermittant sender or dash fault....

Glad to have this confirmed !!

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

mine started doing it last night. i guess with everyone else thats having this trouble mine will be ok. Any idea how much a new sender unit will cost and if its easy to install?

next time i go to my car ill check for any abnormalities, ruptured hoses or anything.

what would be the visible symptoms if the oil pressure was too low?

would there be loss of power or maybe some oil leaks?

Also if it was low, (1bar) would it all of a sudden come back up to 3 bar, or is that not possible?

• 1 month later...

Is there any concensus on what the stock oil pressure guage should read (on an R32 GT-R)?

My car has been off the road for awhile so I've forgotten exactly what it was awhile ago, but I seem to recall it varied between about 2 and 4 on the guage. Today I noticed at idle it sits at about 1 (its hard to guess given the markings are 2, 4, 6 and 8 IIRC), and when driving at about 2. If I gave it a boot, it got towards 3-ish...