SAU Community

Oil Pressure Irratic

Coxy_

lucien it should be much higher than that. when stone cold in the morning it should be up around 8 at idle, once warm should be above 2 at idle and driving at 3000rpm should be above 4. that is for a fairly fresh motor with a healthy oil pump etc. when giving it a 'boot' (talking 5000rpm+) it should get to around 6.

don't stress too much over it. my last car had much lower oil pressure than this one and it never had any major problems.

what is it when stone cold? mine is always above 6 when cold.

It's to be expected on an old motor i guess. things just wear. i am just lucky that i have a rebuilt donkey.

I'm not stressed, just annoyed. I've had about six hours use out of my car since getting it back -- that's after about 7 weeks off the road -- and now there is the possibility of another problem. I'd kill for, oh, say a month of hassle free motoring.

Re: cold start pressure, I didn't notice and I haven't had time to check today. Either way its going to pay Dr Nathan a visit on Monday. Fingers crossed it just the sender (which seems very common from what I have read).

I'm not stressed, just annoyed.  I've had about six hours use out of my car since getting it back -- that's after about 7 weeks off the road -- and now there is the possibility of another problem.  I'd kill for, oh, say a month of hassle free motoring.

Re:  cold start pressure, I didn't notice and I haven't had time to check today.  Either way its going to pay Dr Nathan a visit on Monday.  Fingers crossed it just the sender (which seems very common from what I have read).

RB26 oil pressure at idle 1.5 , @ 2000 rpm 3 and @ 6000 4.6 , at normal oil operating temperature , oil takes longer to get to normal temp than coolant .

Dont worry about cold temp pressure as it will vary depending on oil temp .

Pressure will vary depending on oil used and age of oil as well .

Edited by wrxhoon

Just to add another data point, I'm running 10w40,

I have:

4-5 @ cold idle and driving,

2 @ warm idle,

4 @ warm regular driving,

4-5 @ warm "vigorous" driving.

That all seems fine to me, and until a credable source convinces me otherwise, I'm happy with it. :D

Edit: Engine is a R32 RB20DET.

Edited by Oosh

i have a rebuilt RB25 less than 10,000km old and the oil pressure does a similar thing to what has been mentioned in this thread... in traffic or on reasonably warm days the idle oil pressure sometimes dips below the 2bar mark... it looks as if the guage is a bit sluggish and slow to react

not good for the heart after you have dropped 6k on an engine rebuild and the oil pressure looks sluggish... time for a new guage and sender methinks!

mine goes rite up some times,,sometimes doesnt even move !

it used too

thou nothing seems outa the ordinary engine wise !

is it possible that pressure is leaking out the oil cap ( pressure not oil )

i have a rebuilt RB25 less than 10,000km old and the oil pressure does a similar thing to what has been mentioned in this thread... in traffic or on reasonably warm days the idle oil pressure sometimes dips below the 2bar mark... it looks as if the guage is a bit sluggish and slow to react

not good for the heart after you have dropped 6k on an engine rebuild and the oil pressure looks sluggish... time for a new guage and sender methinks!

Rb 25's have slightly different oil pressures .

Idle 1 , @ 2000 rpm 3.5 and @ 6000 rpm 5.6 , the reason its lower than rb26 at idle is the idle speed is lower on the rb 25 .

Thats how the oil gauges are slow to react , if you are worried get an aftermarket gauge .

A lot of rb 26's that have restrictors fitted will have higher oil pressure .