SAU Community

R.i.p My Turbo, Spool No More.

32brother

Well as the title suggests my turbo spun its last spool today.

Just filled up at the servo pulling out on to the road, first, second gear, clunk, smoke. :(

As anoyed as i can be it happend on a weekend let alone a long weekend, I was on my way to cruise with a mate.

They say bad things happen in three's. First my clutch is in desperate need of change (getting priced this tuesday for speedy fitting) now my turbo has eaten its asshole off. What next??

Oh well what can you do, I still love my car. Maybe I should sell it and say "never been boosted" lol.

It was the standard with a dumpy. Time for a new one anyway..

I will provide pics of damaged turbs when I get the new one fitted.

*Just interested to hear what other bad luck people have had within a short time of each other going wrong on thier car.

hey mate sorry to hear, mine went yesterday, i got the shits cause they are right, bad luck does come in three's, first my brakes went, then the clutch and now the turbo. i took it to Tony Rigolli and he gave me the all clear on my engine, said i just need a new turbo. so i guess thats a plus!!! wondering if anyone might suggest an upgrade kit fora reasonable price!!

just a thought

go back to the fuel station u were at and get their fuel octane checked, might be able to get a new turbo for free if the fuel ain't up to scratch

Y would the octane of the fuel have anything to do with the turbo failing??

Well as the title suggests my turbo spun its last spool today.

Just filled up at the servo pulling out on to the road, first, second gear, clunk, smoke. :cheers:  

As anoyed as i can be it happend on a weekend let alone a long weekend, I was on my way to cruise with a mate.

They say bad things happen in three's. First my clutch is in desperate need of change (getting priced this tuesday for speedy fitting) now my turbo has eaten its asshole off. What next??  

Oh well what can you do, I still love my car. Maybe I should sell it and say "never been boosted" lol.

It was the standard with a dumpy. Time for a new one anyway..

I will provide pics of damaged turbs when I get the new one fitted.

*Just interested to hear what other bad luck people have had within a short time of each other going wrong on thier car.

sorry to hear mate

so when it actually blew, what rpm were you at? i've always wondered if this sort of thing happened at low rpm and a high load, or at high rpm were egt's are obviously high...

Warren.

Hey Fellas,

Cheers for the support.

My turbs has/had done 120,000 so it was only a matter of time before she went.

I bought the car just under 1 year ago, it was on 16psi when i picked it up. I droped it back to 11 low 14 high (hardly ever ran on 14) about a week later. (I have a greddy PROFEC E-01 electronic boost controller in her). Oil change every 3000 kms so I can say i took care of it.

I pulled out of the servo just in a normal fashion, would have been doing 40 kms at around 3000.

It sounded like someone shot a ball bearing from a slingshot on to something metal, real quick burst of sound. a few seconds later power packed up and went home and greetings smoke.

It was raining that morning fairly heavy drizzle, I got home and the rear left hand side of my car (above exhaust) was dry and warm. You could have cooked a egg on my tip. It was about 15 k's from my house when happend, limped it home.

I had my mate behind me following me home, and I can telll you hearing his turbo in a working order was bloody anoying.

One night i went under the ring rd overpass on dalton rd and my cooler pipe blew apart at the hose clamp, that was f_cking loud!

Towed it back to the mechanics and the story goes " your clamps dont last long" BS! just dont let the apprentice touch it again. Just got serviced that day.

I have a 3 year warranty with my car wich will cover $500 of my turbo, but if you guys have ever delt with AVC you will understand I have a shit fight ahead.

* NOT BAGGING AVC HERE, JUST AIN'T THE MOST SPEEDY PEOPLE TO WORK WITH.

I've had a few items replaced through them and they have been good. Payed $900 for the cover, and it has already payed for its self. you just don't want to be in a rush..

I hope that cleared up all questions concerning my lovely saturday.

So any way I am now forced to be in the market for a new clutch and turbo.

Im going a brass button clutch one been priced for me but what turbo would you suggest? I have been offered a 450 twin roller bearing for a good price but my only concern with a bigger turbo is, low safe psi = lagg, high psi for perfomance = rolling a dice with my internals??

:confused:

Hey Fellas,

Cheers for the support.

My turbs has/had done 120,000 so it was only a matter of time before she went.

I bought the car just under 7 months ago, it was on 16psi when i picked it up. I droped it back to 11 low 14 high (hardly ever ran on 14) about a week later. (I have a greddy  PROFEC E-01 electronic boost controller in her). Oil change every 3000 kms so I can say i took care of it.

I pulled out of the servo just in a normal fashion, would have been doing 40 kms at around 3000.  

It sounded like someone shot a ball bearing from a slingshot on to something metal, real quick burst of sound. a few seconds later power packed up and went home and greetings smoke.

It was raining that morning fairly heavy drizzle, I got home and the rear left hand side of my car (above exhaust) was dry and warm. You could have cooked a egg on my tip. It was about 15 k's from my house when happend, limped it home.

I had my mate behind me following me home, and I can telll you hearing his turbo in a working order was bloody anoying.

One night i went under the ring rd overpass on dalton rd and my cooler pipe blew apart at the hose clamp, that was f_cking loud!

Towed it back to the mechanics and the story goes " your clamps dont last long" BS! just dont let the apprentice touch it again. Just got serviced that day.

I have a 3 year warranty with my car wich will cover $500 of my turbo, but if you guys have ever delt with AVC you will understand I have a shit fight ahead.

* NOT BAGGING AVC HERE, JUST AIN'T THE MOST SPEEDY PEOPLE TO WORK WITH.

I've had a few items replaced through them and they have been good. Payed $900 for the cover, and it has already payed for its self. you just don't want to be in a rush..

I hope that cleared up all questions concerning my lovely saturday.

So any way I am now forced to be in the market for a new clutch and turbo.

Im going a brass button clutch one been priced for me but what turbo would you suggest? I have been offered a 450 twin roller bearing for a good price but my only concern with a bigger turbo is, low safe psi = lagg, high psi for perfomance = rolling a dice with my internals??  

:confused:

Ofcourse you're rolling the dice with your internal, but if its' a good price just take it and run LOW boost.

Lag? 450hp or kw? Twin roller bearing you said so i don't think it will be THAT lag anyway, what engine do you have? RB25 or RB20? I assume you have the Rb20, if so, have you check this section out http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...light=rb20+club ?

Alternatively you can speak to ROY on our VIC section, he's got TD06-20or 25g on with standard internal on RB20 i belive.

If you haven't got much cash, dump in a second hand turbo. Check for shaft play on the turbo shaft - very easy, you should't be able to move it laterally (side to side) or vertically, up and down. If it moves either or both directions more than a mm or so the turbo is worn.

Hi flowing? **** that. Costs around $1500? you would be better off getting a second hand HKS item for a little bit more money.

Yeah West I got a rb2odet,

I believe the lag wouldn't be too bad, but lag is still never the less, lag.

Obviously im not to keen to run high boost as she is a every day driver, I mean i've got a company car but i don't want to be driving around on 14 - 18 psi when i do get in it. I know i could probably get away with doing it, but i'd be mad as hell if stuff started going bang in a few months!

Yeah West I got a rb2odet,  

I believe the lag wouldn't be too bad, but lag is still never the less, lag.

Obviously im not to keen to run high boost as she is a every day driver, I mean i've got a company car but i don't want to be driving around on 14 - 18 psi when i do get in it. I know i could probably get away with doing it, but i'd be mad as hell if stuff started going bang in a few months!

Well mate, if you BANG them...they go BANG lol. If you plan BIG then talk to BEN@racepace.