SAU Community

Installed New Toys... Need help

started at approximately 4pm (sat afternoon)... finished approximately 7am (sun morning)... me, sparksta (brandon), and another friend of mine worked on the car all night.

We installed the following:

-nismo 555 injectors

-HKS gt-rs turbo kit

-unplugged and reset the PowerFC

(still have yet to install the PowerFC boostCntrlR

After finishing the install we started the car up... let it run for about 15 minutes... then decided to take a drive...

turbo would spool to about 5psi then begin to stutter/power loss/no response

took the car back to the house... checked vacuum lines, re-adjusted fuel pressure (43psi-w/o vacuum)... disconnected battery, drained power (pumped the brakes a few times)... reconnected battery and let the car run for another 15 minutes.

Round 2: drove the car up the street a block.... everything good... then POP... loose intercooler coupler popped off.... took the car back to the house... tightened the coupler back down and double checked the others.

Round 3: drove the car up the block... everything is running smooth... hit boost at 12psi... came to a stop... checked the FC and knock reached 165!!!!!

Drove the car back home off boost and parked it... The car hasn't been tuned in any shape or form yet.

I'm not sure if i need to set the PowerFC to let it know the injectors are bigger or what....

Just thought I'd let you guys know how the progress was going... I've got plenty of pix and i'll post them as soon as I get them uploaded.

Any thoughts/criticism/compliments are as always welcome.

-Andrew

yes you need to adjust latency for larger injectors, without doing so it assumes stock capacity and latenly. not sure if this would make it lean out or richen up by default but it sounds very unsafe. knock of 165 is pretty extreme, i get worried when i see 40+. best to as a bare minmum grab the powerfc manual and work out the new latency for your injectors and plug in the injector settings, that should stop things blowing up at least. then get to a tuner and check with a wideband to make sure its not leaning out.

forgive my noobishness... but could you explain how i can change the latency of the new injectors?

What would you suggest I do about the knock? Before this install the highest i've ever seen it go was 70... it usually doesn't hit above 20.

Any other insight you could share is worth its weight in gold.

thanks

-andrew

the power fc runs sr20's lean as when you plug them in, they need to be tuned. we did the same mods to a mates 180sx, and it did the exact same thing. when we got it to the tuner, it was running lean as. after tuning, pulled 244rwkw.

go get it tuned asap.

cheers

Linton

does ANYONE know the lag time i need to set on the PFC with nismo550 injectors?????

also correct me if i'm wrong....

in order to figure out duty you take the original injector size/new injector size=duty?

for example: 370/550=.667=67% duty?

thanks guys

-Andrew

Yep,

370/550 = .67 so 67% - This is used for cold start's so the car starts and idle's etc, so you don't get a dump of 550cc injectors into you'r engine.

As for the MS this depends on what value's on the fuel map you wish to use, and how much duty cycle the injectors will run at. I'd start at 0.10ms - This wil richen it up a little.

As the other's said you really need a sniffer to measure the afr's.

As for the Knock: SETTINGS > IGN/INJ > and down arrow on the ignition will retart the ignition timing over the whole map, but this does not save to the power FC it will be reset after you switch the ignition off. Try pulling -5 deg and take it for a run if it still knock's then try - 10. then you will know how much ignition advance its got.... too much!

hope that helps,