SAU Community

new turbo rb20

I have had a look through previous threads/posts in regards to upgrade for a turbo on 20det's

I have come to the conclusion that standard internals are pretty strong and can take a fair hiding, but im no expert.

my standard turbs blew on the w/end.

My question is what is a decent turbo for replacement that is reliable for stock motor.

I have been offered a gcg built 450 twin roller bearing, t4 compressor wheel and high flowed for a nice price. But to run on a safe everyday boost level i will have lag. flip side, up the boost to 14 -16 and i will tempting fate of my internals.

What would you suggest?

Currently have on the 32 gts-t :

dump pipe

3" exhaust from cat.

i/c

bov

elec boost controller

getting brass butt clutch.

Many thanks in advance

:D

32brother.

I have been offered a gcg built 450 twin roller bearing, t4 compressor wheel and high flowed for a nice price. But to run on a safe everyday boost level i will have lag. flip side, up the boost to 14 -16 and i will tempting fate of my internals

That would be a lag monster imo. 14-16psi won't hurt the engine at all. I'd go for a 2530 myself, but as with all hks stuff..$$$

That would be a lag monster imo. 14-16psi won't hurt the engine at all. I'd go for a 2530 myself, but as with all hks stuff..$$$

Thats a pretty big assumption based on the info at hand isnt it?!?!?!

Dotn GCG rate their RB Hiflows at 450hp??? Either way i have a plain bearing 420hp turbo and depending on the gear / load i make 18psi around 4,000rpm

Thats a pretty big assumption based on the info at hand isnt it?!?!?!

Dotn GCG rate their RB Hiflows at 450hp??? Either way i have a plain bearing 420hp turbo and depending on the gear / load i make 18psi around 4,000rpm

Roy,

pm sent

I think you might be best off with the highflow rb25 turbo for your needs. Considering you are in melbourne it might be intelligent not to have something too out there incase you get pulled over.

A lot of people seem to do stupider things to the rb20's, rather than the rb25's.. hence seem to think they're a weaker motor. And of course you have to allow for the increased age, but they do stand up to a lot of punishment.

you engine can take 14 - 16 psi quiet good i have a friend that has a GT30, up to 650hp and he runs 15psi and has so for quiet i while now. at the moment he has 220rwkw with standard internal, he does have fuel reg and bigger injectors but but if you are getting the turbo cheap i would just deal with a little lag, get a good tune and it should be good

i have a big t4 high flowed on a cutom manifold with externall gate run at 10 psi

and yes it is very laggy real bad but when on boost holy shit at the moment i have a standard computer and standard injectors and AFM otherwise everything else is modded like

GTR pump

malpassi rising rate fuel pressure reg

3inch dump, exhaust

intercooler

blah blah

at 10 psi i have no probs but anything over 12 i have bad fuel cut and all sort of shit

(goddanm nissan failsafes always have to protect everything)

but when i had the boost controller connected on 15 psi the boost lag was way better

and on 25psi (accident wound down to far was fun but) it behaved better again

so my conclusion is this

every turbo has its efficiancy range you just need to find where it is

as for mine

when the computer arrives i will dial in a daily 20psi to get the meat of the turbo efficiancy

see how long it lasts i have a spare block at home waiting for forged pistons and the lot

or if it lasts a long time ill keep saving for a stroker

as this is what the spare block was intended for..

sorry to hijack the thread

i guess what i was trying to say is if you get a bigger turbo get it now and build around it

i found this alot easier than say doing all the mods then finding my new turbo that is say only new and i need to go bigger

just go bigger the first time

but then it depends on what you expect from the car!@!

Hey mate just go with an RB25 turbo...if its just as a replacement its good enough im running an RB25 turbo on 14psi and i have no problems at all works great and i have stock internals just a 3inch turbo back exhuast, dual stage boost controller, FMIC, BOV, bla bla bla lol...but yeah ive found it to be a good replacement for the stock R32 turbo...either way good luck with whatever you do...

Cheers