• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 33GTS25

thats exactly where i would like to see us get to one day

discount car parts

promo work for some of the tracks

imagine having a show like RPM doing a show on the skidpan and because our club is well known for being involved with this sort of thing they ring us and ask if we would be prepared to be involved with a promo for a defensive driving course etc.

believe me it only takes a little bit of promotion work to achieve this sort of thing, i mean lets face it we have all received free tickets to the footy/cricket/ concerts before because a company wanted to promote their goods

rod

it sounds like everyone knows what is wanted in each state, sounds like it is time for each state to get a group together and realy get things going (this is probably already happening which makes me sound like a dick). anyway, to whoever it was in perth who said they were making inquiries at gov agencies etc just let me know if i can help with anything because this is something that shouldnt be left to die 8O .

Well in a way I agree with Slip, but can't we still be casual whilst still making it official and actually working towards something (sponsors, discount parts and services). I agree that in the long term this is the way to go. I havn't been involved in this whole situation for that long, but I would and am very willing to get involved in anyway I can. But I think in the long term, everyone will benifet from making this official. As long as we learn from the mistakes of others and keep the good of the club in mind.

Guest 33GTS25

Birty, thats the benefit of a club, everyone can get involved and partake in organised events and undoubtedly you will meet a few people that you get along with better than others and there is nothing at all stopping you from organising a mini cruise with just a few guys that may want to attend a particular event. for example slip and i went out to the burnout comp at qld raceway a few weeks ago and revhead and gary turned up later as well

all prospective sponsors need to see is there are guys in skylines hanging out together and we may reap the benefit of this

Guest Impul 25T
Well ok then, but NBHDU can still kiss my ass.[/quote:41c33cb067]

Nice grown up remark. You insult them, but still ask them for help when it is needed....... :?

Guest Impul 25T
how general was it?

"i can see how you got a name (or many names) for yourself" ??

hmm..[/quote:c8a6a54ad3]

But the original comment is OK???

My 2 cents worth.

I can understand some of the upset about things but, you have to bare in mind that for a number of years everyone has had free use of the SDU forum. Its cost people nothing!!!!!!! apart from PH who has paid for it out of his own pocket. Many Thanks PH :(

The issue's that SDU in New Zealand has should not effect what happens in Australia. You guys can set it up the way you want. You will learn from your own mistakes.

I don't believe that there will be any problems with using the name as guys over there have been anyway. Its also already well known.

I have been in several clubs over the years & you need to remember that the exec give their time to the members for free. Don't shit on people just because you can & then expect to receive their help. (just imagine how you would feel in that situation.)

There have been lots of great friendships formed through the forum so don't let stupid/thoughtless comments destroy that.

If I can be of any help get in touch.

Will be in Sydney later this year & would like to catch up with the Sydney Crew then.

Speed Safely

Guest Wraith

Well aparrently I am one of the NBHDU :? Nice one....

I think that we can all be friends, we were before.

EVERYONE I have spoken to whole hartedly support you guys in setting up a Skylines club in Aussie.

What is the problem with being affiliated with SDU?? As far as I know it doesn't mean you are ruled by them, it just means that you are like a "sister" club, equals, same things in different places.

If I ever come over to Aussie, I would like to catch up with all the people I have seen on the forums, why?? because we all share a similar love.. SKYLINES :(

GO THE SKYLINES AUSTRALIA CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the NBHDU thing has gone far enough!!...many apoligies to the NZ ppl who have come on here and have had that thrown in their faces. It originally started when the General Discussions got shut down and some ppl felt that SDU was over-moderating....but at the end of the day, it's your forum and your club and you guys have to do what you think's best.

Wraith, I don't have all the details, but the problem with being associated with SDU seems to be in the technical stuff, like public liability insurance, CAMS affiliation etc.

I will still be visiting SDU and chatting to you guys, and I hold no resentment to you guys at all. But i just want to be part of a proper Skyline club here in Australia, that's all, and i think we need to branch out on out own if we are to get this up and running.

Thank you Wraith, Lee, Bizkit, Brenhan, AngussR33, and all you NZ ppl who have come on here to show your support. It's really nice you guys have come on here to let us know how you feel...I hope we can all still keep in touch to share info and general Skyline stuff :(

Guest Impul 25T

Remember the call to close down the forums was made by the President of the club........

Thank you for your apologies Shell. It isn't easy having something so popular and keeping everybody happy all of the time........ hard decisions and sacrifices have to be made at times.

Guest RazorGTR

Quite and interesting read this morning.

First I would like to state we of SDU NZ are not anti-Australian. We were anti-trouble makers. The few and yes there were only a few that screwed up for the many. The forums turned from a great place to a place of bitching and net fights. This is truly a sad day when a great place has to be locked down in such a fashion in order to perserve some sort of integraty.

I for one do not want to see a split as such, and have asisted in helping you guys (where I can) establish a formal club in Australia. That is all many of you wanted. To be officially part of a family.

Many times in the past two years the Execs of SDU have discussed how to viably membership fellow Skyline Entusiasts from outside the New Zealand borders. Everytime we did it seemed there was no way to offer anything outside the forums and website anything that would justify paying for something you would see no return on. The last thing we wanted to see was resentment due to that alone.

SDU grew so fast the few execs were overwhelmed at the numbers. To give you guys an idea we went from a simple website with a few visitors in June of 1999 to over 300 paid members in Aug of 2000. The execs just did not know what to do to keep everyone happy.

As things progressed individuals began to feel they were left out here and there through out New Zealand. We were spread from Northland to Invercargal. We formed Regions with Executive bodies for each region under a single National club. That seemed to work for a short period of time, but again that evil "what about us" monster raised its evil head again and began to eat at the club like a virius.

In the mean time the Forums swelled and went off like a wild fire. Small pockets of unhappy chappy's began to speak out and take needless shots at members, Sponsor's, and the Executives. So now we have a major on our hands. How do a few people, quietly try and put right what is turning out to be a huge problem. So the club was split into full Regional areas. Each having their own bank accounts, membership lists, and responcibilities for their areas. That gave us time to try and address the on-going problems on the forums.

Not hardly as our members started to feel as though we were not looking after their best interests or the clubs. Being so busy trying to sort out problems and drama's events suffered and the lack of them just started to put members off. The forums went forward with more and more needless crap. Our membership dropped in Auckland alone from over 150 to just over 60 currently. Of that 80% are new members. Unacceptable as the ones that helped drive the club just could not be bothered coming back.

Which brings us to the current. We decided to put one fire out at a time. The easiest was to basiclly turn the forums into a members area only. That would eliminate 99% of the troubles there. As we were doing that we needed to let our current financial members, previous member's and new potential members know we are here to bring the club back to the way it was 3 years ago. The fun and enjoyment of being part of a club of enthusisasts and people who just enjoy the car and others with the same interests.

Somewhere a while back we lost direction and focus. This is the end result of that lack of vision. I have been part of SDU since before memberships were even taken. The current Execs are assisting Skyzrr33, and a few others on getting an official club up and and running over in Australia. We know now what works and what doesn't. You will have the benifit of seeing our mistakes and I can only hope yourselves do not make the same ones over there.

In closing please try and understand. We are not disciminating against anyone in general. SDU needs to focus on our home issues before we can focus others. Losing a single good person is a good thing in anyone's book. Losing a few hundred rips the soul out of you. Those that donate their time and set things up there will find out as we have that someone will not agree with you, and as soon as that happens the name calling, and childish tantrums begin. That is a sign of things to come and is not a bunch of roses.

Peace

Razor

of of the co-founders of Skylines Downunder Inc.

Guest RazorGTR
Remember the call to close down the forums was made by the President of the club........

Thank you for your apologies Shell. It isn't easy having something so popular and keeping everybody happy all of the time........ hard decisions and sacrifices have to be made at times.[/quote:6a8f2c9d4e]

Actually the President posted it, but a few of us drove it. A sad day for SDU when it has to come to that.

We know now what works and what doesn't. You will have the benifit of seeing our mistakes and I can only hope yourselves do not make the same ones over there.

Peace

Razor

of of the co-founders of Skylines Downunder Inc.[/quote:ee6106d0df]

First of all, as Shell said, thanks to all the NZ's for taking the time out to show their support.

I joined SDU exactly a week before the General forum disappeared so I didn't get a chance to witness things go downhill. I also didn't understand the reason but I accepted it. Life just goes on and if you're going to sit there and whinge about it, it will pass you. Reading Razors lenthgy post has shed lots of light on the situation.

Guys, I honestly feel for you and if it had been me in your shoes, I'd have done the exact same only sooner. I sincerely hope your club can bounce back on both feet and prosper. You have my support.

Now, for everyone here that wants to be a part of an Aus club- As I've said many times before, touching base on a proffesional level with SDU [u:ee6106d0df]will be our biggest asset.[/u:ee6106d0df] They have a sackfull of experience, and they are offering help to us. Who are we to say 'No, I know better than you' Who among you has run a club at their level successfully before?

That being said, Skyzer, Prank, URMINE my ho, meggala, Shell and Boostmeister are doing an excellent job at getting this club off the ground so we all owe our gratitude to them. Thanks guys. :(

somone mentioned that we could be sister clubs... thats a good idea.. we dont even have to be called SDU... by being a sister club we r unofficially affiliated with them.. it would work in both ways as we could offer benefits to sdu members visiting aus, and sdu could offer benefits to aus members visiting nz.