SAU Community

HICAS light

gun-r32

My HICAS light keeps coming on after about 15 minutes of normal, straight highway driving.

I had the rear HICAS bar replaced as it was bent, but the light still appears. The steering feels ok, but is a little notchy when you turn the wheel either way.

Im going to take it to Wilkinsons the next time Im in Perth, but in the meantime, anyone got an idea what it may be, or experienced similar?

My HICAS light keeps coming on after about 15 minutes of normal, straight highway driving.

I had the rear HICAS bar replaced as it was bent, but the light still appears. The steering feels ok, but is a little notchy when you turn the wheel either way.

Im going to take it to Wilkinsons the next time Im in Perth, but in the meantime, anyone got an idea what it may be, or experienced similar?

Dude the light comes on when the power steering fluid becomes low as well.......

Check that before spending any money man

Mike

seen the same when a boss kit wasnt fitted properly - I know your case is different, but you did ask :)

Lock your hicas, the car will handle better, you get the added bonus of weight reduction and you can just remove the light bulb from the days. I did this, much better to drive, never looked back.

rossco,

One of the joys (not) of an 89 GT-R is the randomness of warning lights. Check your power steering fluid levels (top it right up anyway). Also when the warning light comes on, go and have a look at the module in the boot. With the engine on there should be a flashing light. It will flash anything up to twenty something times & then briefly pause. Count the number of flashes & compare with the diagnostics in the manual. I will try & dig the page out if you don't have it. Usually turning the car off/on again makes the light go away.

:(

I have this problem too. Mine only comes on when im driving on the highway. From what i have been told it can b anything from the non standard steering wheel or HICAS capable boss kit to air bubbles in the hoses. I dont know if the air bubbles in the hoses is true but thats what i was told. I know a few people who have skylines and their lights come on too. Mine has no change in driving when the light comes on so im not gonna stress about it.

Jackie

• 9 months later...

Mine has started to play up again :D, it was ok for a while after instlling spacers but now the light is back on again.

jaygtr, they run hydrolically and can only be stopped with a HICAS lock kit or HICAS removal bar.

hicas lock bar is the go...

fitted one to my 33 gts-t..

its a little more tail happy now (the rock solid teins probably dont help either), but it handles sooo much better :)

Mine has started to play up again :O, it was ok for a while after instlling spacers but now the light is back on again.

jaygtr, they run hydrolically and can only be stopped with a HICAS lock kit or HICAS removal bar.

If i fit the lock kit will it stop the knocking coming from the hicas motor?

• 7 months later...

After-market steering wheels can also cause hicas issues. The stock steering wheel holds the steering sensor in proper place. I've heard that there are boss kits that cater for hicas (someone please confirm this, i'm looking for it as well). If the sensor is off alignment, it tries to calibrate for roughly 10 mins and when it cant it gives up and fires the warning lamp.

When you start to get notchy feedback and all of that, bar that baby up. not worth the dollars to troubleshoot.