SAU Community

Uncanny dyno results?

Baz

Hey all,

Came down for the dyno day, which was a rather good day if I say so myself and also put my car in on the dyno. This is the result I got on the dyno.

IMG_0034.JPG

Now even though that was the lowest power figure out of the all the turbo cars :( , it seems too high for a stock RB20DET with catback exhaust and pod filter. Converted to kw it is 144rwkw which is about 5-10kw higher than what it should be. Now I don't know much about dyno results and after checking out the latest version of HPI, there RB20DET with the same mods as me plus a FMIC made only 145rwkw which is 1kw more than mine. How can that be?

One thing I noticed in difference between my dyno result and the HPI car is that there intake temperature was 19 degrees while mine was 45 degrees? Not sure how such a high difference in temperature could occur but could it have inflated my result to give an incorrect reading?

Can anyone clear this up for me and any comments from the hyperdrive guys would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

Intake temp makes a lot of difference. If the intake temp was genuinely 45 degrees then the graphs will be correct, however, if the intake temp is entered as 45 degrees but is actually say 20 degrees, then the graphs will be over-reading (and vice versa)

Dynos differ depending on how they are set up.

The HPI one may not have been in shootout mode so I'd say those figures are close enough not to worry about.

Your 32 seems pretty healthy anyway which is always good to know.

The intake temps are interesting though. Was that taken at the inlet manifold or air inlet?

If you have a pod without a partition, the ambient temperature would increase the reading from the temp probe, and therefore change the reading. A higher intake temp gives a higher corrected figure.

If the temp probe is sitting against anything in the engine bay, you may get an over inflated intake temp - as the air coming into the pod is coming straight through the open bonnet.

By comparison, my intake temps were 26 degrees, but I am using a partition. The run was done within a couple of minutes of my car arriving from a long drive. Still somewhat interesting as the ambient air temp would have probably been closer to 12-14deg at the time.

This is a good example of the fact it is almost impossible to compare dyno figures 100% accurately. I am quite sure the air going into your car was not 20 degrees warmer than the air going into mine.

Dyno is for tuning - they give you a good idea of where AF ratios are at, how and where power is delivered and where there may be problems with the current setup. Peak power should be a guide only.

']dude mine made completely stock , bar an intercooler, 184.5 rwhp, so your power isnt bad at all

Not bad but how much of a gain would a catback and pod filter give? On top of that result? Because if it's a +15rwhp gain, we would still be be in the same problem again.

No not really, because then it would seem LOW not high for the mods you have.

End of they day a dyno is a tuning tool, next time you do a mod, re run it, and see what improvements you have made. Ken and Lumpy run a very professional show down there, so I doubt anything was done to make your numbers wrong

Im documenting every mod i do on antilag, so check the main site every once in a while to see what comes of it. Might give you some insight to what mods you could do yourself

Cheers

TJ

my car only got 226rwhp with similar mods :)

Only difference is mines S1 and ive heard its alot more spikey when more boost is added, it dropped 40rwhp towards the top end in one spike. Im going for a apexi power fc when i can get the $$ together to fix