SAU Community

boost pressure with BOV?

hypntk

Just wonderin, My stock boost is set at 7psi ( for now anyway ), the aftermarket BOV i wanna put on is from a m8s R34 which was set at about 15psi, so the question is: Can i just wack on the aftermarket one and it will be ok or do i have to adjust the BOV so it works with 7psi. This may be a silly question but does the amount of boost make any difference to the air pressure left in the piping when the throttle is let off??J

Just wonderin, My stock boost is set at 7psi ( for now anyway ), the aftermarket BOV i wanna put on is from a m8s R34 which was set at about 15psi, so the question is: Can i just wack on the aftermarket one and it will be ok or do i have to adjust the BOV so it works with 7psi. This may be a silly question but does the amount of boost make any difference to the air pressure left in the piping when the throttle is let off??J

Ummm.... boost IS THE PRESSURE IN THE PIPING... so its the same as the speed you are going DOES make a difference to how fast you are going....

Why are you talking about BOV setting boost levels?

BOV's DO NOT CONTROL boost. They are just a valve, a blow off valve infact. It will open when the vacuum lines sucks the valve open. The tension in the spring is something you may want to consider, a heaps hard spring won't open as easily but will limit leak.

i was also wondering how much boost the stock bov can handle before it leaks, as i want to run 18 - 19psi on my rb20, and i was thinkin the stock one would open up at that sort of pressure so i was thinkin about getting a greddy type s bov, but only if it was needed,

all your help is appreciated.

20 lb on stock block = disaster dude....about everythign is wrong with runnin that much psi on an RB20 with no mods to ur pistons..injectors...fuel pump....cams...as for the stock bov i thought they were effective to handle 14-15 lbs could be wrong here howevere

20 lb on stock block = disaster dude....about everythign is wrong with runnin that much psi on an RB20 with no mods to ur pistons..injectors...fuel pump....cams...as for the stock bov i thought they were effective to handle 14-15 lbs could be wrong here howevere

mate has a r31 with r32 rb20, stock cams,stock engine, just forged pistons.

runs 20pounds day in day out, tuned with a microtech ltx8

running for over 40,000klms!