SAU Community

R33: Oil Cooler Installation

Blk33

Dan.1337 - interested in where you are going to run the hoses. About to install a cooler in the same spot, but still debating hose runs.

Sorry, haven't checked this thread in a while.

I haven't had a chance to finish my oil cooler lines as I was posted interstate for the last 6 weeks. Not 100% sure where I'll run the lines as I'll need to get under to have another look as a refresher, but I don't think there were too many options from when I last checked :/

Will get to it over the next couple of weeks though and post up results.

I always wondered why Greddy has the oil going through the core before the filter. Im sure if you wanted to you could set it up as you please though.

Anyone shed any light on this?

• 1 month later...

Dan.1337 - interested in where you are going to run the hoses. About to install a cooler in the same spot, but still debating hose runs.

Finally hooked up all the lines. They're not neat, but it seems to work. I used to get temps of around 90-100C on the freeway and now it's around 70C.

Street driving would hover around 90C, but now they're at about 60-65C. Will be taking it to track soon so will report back on oil temps then.

Hopefully these give you an idea of where they go:

2mmibo4.jpg

xfxd3k.jpg

15z1npt.jpg

Finally hooked up all the lines. They're not neat, but it seems to work. I used to get temps of around 90-100C on the freeway and now it's around 70C.

Street driving would hover around 90C, but now they're at about 60-65C. Will be taking it to track soon so will report back on oil temps then.

Hi,

My only concern is the oil may be too cold!

The engines are designed for the oil to be around 90C.

I do stand to be corrected - be interested on any feedback.

I fabricated a cover for the cooler during the cooler months to keep the oil around 90C,

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

2mmibo4.jpg

xfxd3k.jpg

15z1npt.jpg

There are potential for some rubbing there. The battery cable and rubbing the braid on sharp edges would be the main concern.

I'd reccommend using some insulation rubber at least. Ideally P-clamps and rubber mounting would be the best

Edited by 89CAL

There are potential for some rubbing there. The battery cable and rubbing the braid on sharp edges would be the main concern.

I'd reccommend using some insulation rubber at least. Ideally P-clamps and rubber mounting would be the best

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll insulate the rub areas next time I work on my car.

Took my car out for a weekend of track work and oil temps didn't get over 90C. One other thing I didn't mention is that I cut several holes in the splash guard behind the cooler as it's a large low pressure zone, so all the air that gets pushed in will be extracted as quickly.

Any opinions on Braided hose Quality? ie. Are China Hoses in a kit with a China cooler a Big No No?

My Tuner reckons Cheap Coolers are OK but the Hoses can Collapse and make bad things happen.

Thoughts?

Any opinions on Braided hose Quality? ie. Are China Hoses in a kit with a China cooler a Big No No?

My Tuner reckons Cheap Coolers are OK but the Hoses can Collapse and make bad things happen.

Thoughts?

The fittings don't seal properly and leak. The most ling long I would go are Torques UK fittings with their lines and China cores.

The China hoses are ok, remember that these lines are under pressure not vacuum so they can't collapse only explode and leak.

It looks like you've run the hoses below the chassis rail?

They will run above as shown in the attached photos.

Braided hoses need clamps to stop any rubbing.

Your hose lengths also look like they're as supplied in the kit. You can have them shortened (Enzed etc) to suit your installation which will make clamping a lot easier.

The China hoses are only radiator hose quality but as they're inside the braid, they hold up OK.

The alloy end fittings are extremely suspect. I'd do them all up with Loctite 577 or you may find the fittings at the mounting block loosen due to the engine movement.

post-73571-0-34904200-1399279352_thumb.jpg

post-73571-0-34733000-1399279373_thumb.jpg

post-73571-0-36865000-1399279387_thumb.jpg

post-73571-0-75614000-1399279917_thumb.jpg

Finished installing our oil cooler yesterday.

We mounted the cooler in front of the drivers side wheel, with airflow through the blinker/fog light. We plan to remove the blinker / fog lights for track work, and cut out the bumper plastic behind them for more airflow.

Instead of running the hoses under or through the chassis rail, we drilled 2 30mm holes through the sheet metal ether side of the washer reservoir, and mounted the cooler with the inlet & outlet nipples sticking up through these holes. The hoses run from the sandwich plate, behind the look & radiator hose, to the nipples - one between the reservoir & headlight, the other between the reservoir & fuse box. The photos show more details - the yellow plastic caps show where the nipples are. The reservoir had to be moved slightly, and one new bolt hole drilled to clear the hoses.

post-98010-0-69539700-1399677019_thumb.jpg

post-98010-0-43720100-1399676866_thumb.jpg

I hope its not just the hose ends holding the oil cooler in position?

You think that might be an issue?

Actually it's being held at all 4 corners of the cooler, obviously under the bodywork. In the second photo you can just see a bolthead under the rear hose end, which hold the upper/inner corner of the core. The other 3 corners are secured by metal brackets to the car. It isn't going anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I finally mounted my grex 16 row oil cooler to my 33 on drivers guard bit of a mission but didnt want to make new hoses wanted to use the ones in the kit . Only thing is I had to adjust stock bovs a bit and remove mounting bracket for them they sit down a bit low on car im u sure wether this will cause dramas but I will find out when I go to fit belly guards .

post-59423-14015166049573_thumb.jpg

post-59423-14015166487584_thumb.jpg

I always wondered why Greddy has the oil going through the core before the filter. Im sure if you wanted to you could set it up as you please though.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Because you should run a thermostat, when its cold it has to still run through the oil filter.

It has to always run through the filter. First or last, as long as the oil is always going through it.

post-89755-0-13726300-1401659494_thumb.jpg post-89755-0-84967100-1401659549_thumb.jpg

Look at all those bits.... its become as tight as the engine bay.

Makes me think about all the free space on the left side............

Edited by D.I.Y. Mik