SAU Community

steering wheel spacer?

hey all,

im after a spacer for my original steering wheel, 2inch would be good. im just too tall and feel like im stretching to reach the wheel at times (seat back of cos). this is for an r32 gts4 by the way. ive done a search and came up with one good thread, but the guy was in syd/melb and id never heard of the place suggested. just a quick question, its later after work and i havent had a chance to call any shops yet.. thought id see if someone here knew :rofl:

thanks! shaun.

You are aware these cars have fore / aft adjustment of the steering column (as well as up / down)?

From my experience, the seats don't go all that far back, so it would be very difficult to get to a position where you needed to stretch to reach the steering wheel.

unless you're driving 'gansta stlyes' with some major back rest lay-back!

or Police Academy 'Hightower style', rip out the front seats, sit in the back :(

regarding the seat position, im 6'3 or so and maybe i have a larger/longer torso then an average 6'3 person has? so yeh, i do have the seat back a fair bit... theres definently no room for people behind me :rofl:

its barable, i have been driving it for six months like this now, just that perhaps a little more 'just in case' room would be ideal. when seated, stretching my arms to the wheel, it touches just under on the base of my first knuckles. now im no homie, but i dont think the japs had 6'3 giants in mind while designing the car :D

thanks anyhows, i didnt end up calling anyone, and now its late after work.. yet again..

shaun.

I have a 75mm spacer on my car (S14 200SX) which helps a lot. I have always preferred to have the steering wheel close. As with anything that is a "feel" component there is a lot of room for personal preference. It also depends a bit on the driving you do.

Just remember that unless you have fingers like ET you will have to take your hand off the steering wheel to use the indicators and other stalk controls.

krush - any place that sells aftermarket wheels should be able to supply a spacer. Don't know how they fit the hub, but may have to make sure it is Hicas compatible (maybe not, since it should bolt onto the hub then the wheel to the spacer)

cheers

hey hey,

Gojira, where did you get the spacer for your s14? maybe i could heat the indicater stalk enought to 'bend' it closer :rofl: well maybe thatd be getting a little far fetched..

Daler, mine also has a sunroof :D when looking for 32's i only ever sat in non-sunroof ones.. didnt relise how much head room it actually took up!

Ronin, thanks for that suggestion. i guess ill hit autobarn first since they sell wheels, after that, ill move onto some other racing shops or something..

thanks for the replies guys!

shaun.

Gojira, where did you get the spacer for your s14? maybe i could heat the indicater stalk enought to 'bend' it closer :rofl: well maybe thatd be getting a little far fetched..

I got mine from Yahoo Auctions...

Hmmm, I like your stalk melting idea, I might give it a go!