SAU Community

Blue smoke :( RB20DET

I've recently noticed more and more blue smoke coming from my exhaust. It smells horrible, burns my nose and makes my eyes water if I get a good enough wiff of the shit.

I know this bad news but can I:

a) Determine whether it's the turbo, the rings, or something else easily?

B) Drive it around safely? Will it get worse?

Any other comments appreciated...

Mods are as follows:

RB20DET w/ custom plenium, Microtech LTX8, bov, stock rb20 turbo (Hoping this is shot and not the rings.. excuse for a bigger one :rofl:) fmic etc etc.. Internals and all the rest are stock

Car is going in for a service at Proconcept at West Ryde on Monday morning..

Smoking all the time, only on boost, only when coming off boost?

Spend half a day pulling the turbo off, take it somewhere to get all the seals etc checked out. If it is stuffed, replace it, if it isnt chuck it back on and it shouldnt have cost you too much money.

Smoking, well, all the time unfortunately.. So guessing it could be the rings, smoking alot more on boost though (naturally)

It's smoking enough to notice the smoke when your stopped at traffic lights, if you look out one of the windows

EDIT: Just went for another drive, it's funny, sometimes it blows smoke at idle whereas other times it doesn't (well if it does then you cant even notice it)

I would go back to the guy you bought it off if he didn't tell you about it cause it sounds like you might have to open the engine up to fix this one i would say it is the rings my mate had the same problem blue smoke is a bad bad thing, i take it you didn't get a warrenty with the car

From the way you are describing it, it would of been blowing this smoke when you test drove the car? If so, why did you buy it?

Also, why did you not get the car thouroughly checked out before buying it?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Two golds! Struggled to get silver on Gran Valley.
    • Interesting that it has 2 to the USB stick. Are the ones to the USB stick different? Or labelled anything at all? Telstra 4G is Band 28 is the long range one you want, it's 700mHz. I'm trying to do some reading on the Cel-Fi stuff, but I can't find any decent info online that makes me feel comfortable being able to work out the sort of antennas we could get away to swapping it over to. The antennas I'm starting to do some stuff with at work, are a transparent antenna. They're designed to stick onto the window. Which means you wouldn't even have the antenna outside the car. Volkswagen have just started using the exact same types of antennas on some of their new cars (And from the same antenna manufacturer). But, RF stuff is a bit of a dark art some days, and getting it wrong in your car could make for a terrible waste of money trying to swap antennas :S
    • I'm not going to lie Duncan, Saturday and Sunday were pretty rough days. The sort of work I was doing would previously have ended up with me spending about an hour and a half chatting with Neil. Firstly about something I had a question about, and then both of us rambling off on tangents.  I think how Neil did things, and his attitude to getting it done is helping me in part to get this stuff done. Then I can actually do the things I enjoy more easily  
    • Talked to another R34 GT-T owner, he said bonnet of his car once fell and slammed from full height because of strong wind at a car show and nothing was damaged or broken, so I guess I'm just overthinking some things but yeah, just making sure I'm not damaging the car anyhow cause wanna keep it for a long time.
    • I would say 100% that it doesn't matter at all. I have an Al bonnet and I drop it sometimes, push it others. Have done so for 25 years and there's no way to tell that either has caused any problems (because there are no problems).