SAU Community

Importing a car for drift/track use

Hey as some might know i am in the market for another car, i have been thinking and thinking. I have decided i want a car to use for drift and hopefully enter the drift nationals next year, thats not the point. What i want to know is and yes i searched! what are the prices involved in importing a car for track use?

This thread was alot of help but didnt give me exactly what i was after:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=75261

Borrowed this from 25det hope he doesnt mind...

out of all these prices which ones are necessary?

prices all approx

Freight - $1200

Duty tax - 10%

Customs - $500

GST - 10%

Compliance - $3500

Stamp Duty - 2%

Tyres - Depends

also will i need a cams licence if i want to use it for drift?

any help is gladly appreciated. I do not want a car to drive on the streets i already own a 180sx and its enough for the time being. I want something which i can modify, wont have to worry if i hit a wall or the paint gets scratched if you know what i mean.

Do jspec and prestige allow you to purchase cars through them and use it for track use only?

I had in mind either a R34 4 door and make it into something similar to the Blitz R34 in D1 or maybe a 2 door r32.

If anyone knows of someone selling either cars in manual turbo not complied and ready for track use or stock doesnt bother me please pm me. Do not pm me with cars that are registered.

Also i wouldnt mind a R34 4 door rolling shell and building it up. Either way please pm me with offers, pics, prices, info.

This following thread is going to be of some use to you (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=76844).

- From those costs above you wouldn't need compliance or tyres, everything else would still apply (I'm pretty sure).

- The application for import approval would require you to have this prior CAMS experience., ie you can't just say you want to import a race car - see DOTARS link for more info (http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.aspx#5.10)

- Jspec and prestige are more than happy for you to purchase track cars through them..

You need a C3 or R3 licence to bring in any race/rally car, if C3 it is for track use only with import approval not allowing rego and R3 for track, rally and targa type events with approval for street rego but limited use.

You need a C3 or R3 licence to bring in any race/rally car, if C3 it is for track use only with import approval not allowing rego and R3 for track, rally and targa type events with approval for street rego but limited use.

Do they ping you for stamp duty ?

Cheers,

Lucien.

Well....you can't get rego on a race use only car, only on a rally use car.  Once you have it imported and registered it then is up to how you want to use it :)

Good, exactly what I thought.

:P

Lucien.

It is two different import approvals now with C3 saying never to register and R3 allowing to register, the rules are tighter even more so if brought in on a C3 licence it will never be allowed to be registered even for a Targa.