SAU Community

My car is now fully engineered & LEGAL !! ;)

This may be common knowledge but it was news to me so I just thought I'd share this with all since most don't know that the car they are driving is not only illegal but also un-insured !! That's right, if you've modified your car from OEM and it's outside the limits of those specified by your state's laws, it's not legal and therefore not covered by the insurance policy you've paid for. ;) Insurance companies are getting smarter and smarter and catching more people out every day. Un-disclosed traffic infringements, illegally modified vehicles etc, etc.

Most people think that if they modify their car and tell their insurance company about the mods that all is fine, but as I found out, that's not the case. Doing this will cover the agreed value for replacement if stolen but if you have an accident and the accessor comes out to look at your car and finds that the modifications are not "legally compliant" he/she can void your insurance policy because most insurance policies state that the insured vehicle must be roadworthy and comply with the laws applicable in the state it is registered.

Once all the engineering is done you get a rego label that lists a code which specifies that the car is modified and the rego papers also state this. You also get engineering paperwork that covers your car for the mods done and you get an engineering sticker or plate that goes next to your copliance plate specifying the mod categories approved on your vehicle ( and if you've got new wheels and tyres you get a new tyre plackard ).

This whole experience has been a very interesting ( and sharp ) learning curve for me but for the $600.00 that it cost "me", it is the best money I've "had to" spend, for peace of mind.

I still think the whole non OEM thing is great load of crap.

Example 1- My crappy, rusty OEM exhaust / muffler system is replaced by a Midas exhaust / muffler system - that means my car is illegally modified. Even though I my exhaust is probablly quieter and better for the environment.

Example 2 - My OEM brake pads have worn out - I buy a set of high performance Apexi/HKS pad and install them - My car can stop better now - But the car is illegally modified.

Example 3 - I install a Power FC or SAFC in my stock skyline - get my tuner to lean the A/F ratios out for better economy - I am using less petrol and not polluting the environment as much - yet my car is illegally modified.

Example 4 - I go down to Supercheap and by a Ryco oil and air filter - My car is illegally modified

Example 5 - I go down to Bob Janes and get a new set of wheels - same size and width as my stock 16" wheels - but they look better - My car is illegally modified

Example 6 - My Shocks and springs are worn out - so I go down to Pedders and get replacement spring asn shocks - my car handles better - less chance of an accident - yet the car is illegally modified.

Don't get me wrong Fat32 - not having a go at you - and good on you for getting your car engineered -

But the rules are ambiguous - There are extremes at each end - Highly modified (yes engineering needs to be done) OR Slightly modified with non OEM parts (engineering not required in my view)

If the rules are the rules - then I bet EVERY SINGLE CAR over 1 year old is illegal and should be de-registered .

Stupid rules - they should revisit them in my opinion.

/rant

Please don't pass of NSW rules as being the rest of the country's, as things are not the same in other parts of australia. They are not as strict up here for example as to aftermarket parts.

Please don't pass of NSW rules as being the rest of the country's, as things are not the same in other parts of australia. They are not as strict up here for example as to aftermarket parts.

Gordon,

I think I covered that one if you read my initial post carefully with words like "those specified by your state's laws" ;)

must'a missed that :Oops:

Up here you need an engineering certificate for major modifications only. There have been a few that have been busted by QLD transport for having "non ADR equipment" on their cars, but this is contrary to their own publications which state that many modifications are legal! A cop the other week looked over my car, and only comment was "shiney intercooler piping you go there". It's all so contradictory, no matter where you are.

I think having a system for major modifications is fine, to at least look over large turbo setups, etc to make sure they are not going to be too hazadous (engine bays catching on fire, etc).. but for the simple things, its just stupid.

I guess that is one of the reasons I also bought an old cheap car (R32), simply because i want to modify it to my hearts content and not be worried about voiding the expensive policy on a $30k car. 3rd party is as far as it goes. Insurance companies can get knotted.. taking my hard earned $1000+ a year, when i have never even had an at fault accident since i started driving 10 years ago. The car I own is now clearly irrelevent - so I should be paying what it costs to insure a 15 year old camry - they can bullshit on about calculated risk and all the rest, but in the end, it just comes down to your driving history above the car after a few years.

I'm not going to list every one of my car's modifications on an essentially public forum. But just to touch on some of the basic's.

- Wheels & Tyres upgraded from 16"x 6.5" up to 17"x 8" and 17"x 9" with tyres to suit.

- Complete Exhaust system.

- Aftermarket Boost gauge and Shift light fitment.

- FMIC.

- Strut tower and Brake master cylinder braces.

Things like that. But not what brand of oil / air filter or brand of shock absorber.

I don't think anyone is interested in the absolute specifics, just after an idea of how much engineering $600 buys :)

With the exhaust system, did they do an emissions test?

Lucien.

Lucien,

From what I understand, the structure for engineering is broken down into categories so if you have 5 mods in 1 category or 1 in 1 category it's the same price. In each category there are MANY variables of mods like bolt-on vs. fabrication.

I would suggest that you find an engineer and get him ( or her ) to look over your car and have a chat with you about your car and the mods. You can then either walk away ( they won't go running off to dob you into the cops ) or find out a price for your car and proceed :rant:

With the exhaust, they did not do an emission test but did do a decibel test.

After you get your engineers certificate, you then have to get a blue slip done and an emissions check MAY be carried out then but I guess it's at the discretion of the workshop. After the blue slip, you then have to go to your motor registry and lodge the changes ( that parts free :) )

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not list the specific mods?

You car is legal right? So there should be no problem.

Unless you go listing your home address for ppls to come and rip your car off.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand your line of thought by not sharing with us exactly what you had done and what was engineered.

...you get an engineering sticker or plate that goes next to your copliance plate specifying the mod categories approved on your vehicle ( and if you've got new wheels and tyres you get a new tyre plackard ).  

I didn't get a sticker, plate or plackard.

As I understand it you don't get plates in NSW (the TIC plates you see in QLD for example).

To give people an idea of what gets engineered for $600 I assume every nut and bolt. I paid $350 for mine and had-

- engine swap

- exhaust

- wheels

- fuel pump/injectors

- gauges

- bonnet vents

- bodykit

- swaybars

- suspension

- steering wheel

- intercooler

- air pod

- mech diff

- turbo

etc etc..

I have a defect standing for having an air pod. Now I have to run around today and find a replacement air box so I can take it to an AUVIS station somewhere (Where I'm afraid they will get me for 1000 other dumb things because the cop ticked "full inspection required" on the notice I got) and get it inspected, then take the form to the RTA and get it cleared. I want to know if it will just be easier to just get it engineered and contest the defect and clear it straight away at the RTA.

those prices seem cheap. I have only done minimal research but some idoit wanted to charge me $1000 just for rb26 engine swap into r33 gts-t. He also said there is no way to engineer wheels more than 1" wider (not diameter) than standard, whats with that? Anyone know anything about this.

Why not list the specific mods?

You car is legal right? So there should be no problem.

Unless you go listing your home address for ppls to come and rip your car off.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand your line of thought by not sharing with us exactly what you had done and what was engineered.

It's got nothing to do with the law but more to do with having "everyone" knowing what you've got in your car. Would you like "everyone" to know that you have $50,000 worth of mods done to you car ? ( I don't but I know people who do ).

Each case will be a little different so give the engineer a call and he / she will quote you a price prior to doing the inspection and then you'll know what your going to get for your money :(

The idea of my initial posting was to encourage others to get their mods engineered so they need not live in fear of the cops and can be sure that if they have an accident, they have a much better chance of getting their money ( or car fixed ) than someone who is driving around in an essentially illegal car.

Hope that helps some.

I was just informed by a fella at the rta that An engineers cert for a pod filter even enclosed could not be engineered.And that basically the car would have to be stock to get it over the pits and then i would have to modify it illegally once it is back on the road.Boost controllers are illegal also i found out in our quick talk.

Oem seem to be the only ones that can.

I am going for a blue slip and have been informed by the fellow at this place that

Why the f**k own a modified car!

Why allow the sale of aftermarket parts to people without proof of what that car is going to be used for.i.e.race car,rally etc.He told me that to get a pod filter engineered i would have to hire out a special booth that read emissions and such.And that i would be wasting my time cause it costs $3000 so why do that if you know you are going to be knowingly knocked back.

They are a real shifty bunch our government they let the sale continue and in the mean time they get stricter on the rules for owning a modified car and still want to f**k you for having these mods on the car.

They know we want these parts for our cars,and we definently know they want our money,so we keep forking our hard earned over to get the parts and they keep f**king us in the ass.Knowing that they can change the rules but dont want to because it earns them to much $$$$ from the fines. :P

Any1 care to comment

:D fat32 good on u mate.

:D What about all the f**king commonwhores.yotas.hondas Modified with turbo kits from na.What of them. :end rant:

p.s.How Can a car still be engineered with mods?

Yes you can. Every engineer will have different interpretations.. Although $1k for an engine transplant is ridic. ... actually $1k for the whole car is ridic, even if you have every nut and bolt engineered.

My pod is engineered.. without a box.

Is the engineer rta certified?

Can you pass on the details of who you got it done through.

And did you have any other mods on the car to be certified.Like suspension,bov etc.