SAU Community

Turbo Smart Boost

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im looking to buy a Turbo smart boost Controller (dual stage with the launch switch)

Just wants opinions on the performance side between electronic and bleed valve boost controllers

Car: fairly stock

R33 gtst, exhaust, air pod filter and getting front mount installed tomorrow

I dont want to upgrade my stock turbo, only want to go to 12psi

the bleed valve boost controller im sure you are all aware price from $50-$379

and electric ones are from $480-$800

there is a bit of a gap with prices between the two, ive heard bad things about bleed valve controllers

Need recommendations on which controllers are good enough for there price range

Thanks

babylon

The difference is basically a bleed valve is just a valve. An EBC (electronic boost controller) is a solenoid with some sort of logic behind it controlling it. This means your boost will be more stable, but not something you will probably notice driving around (more-so on a dyno).

The turbo smart dual boost is pretty much on the same level as a bleed valve, albeit adjustable from the cabin. As such it doesn't constitute an EBC.

Occasionally you get second hand EBCs selling on the forums for around $300. I would recommend the dual solenoid Blitz DSBC as my pick.

I semi-recently picked up a single solenoid SBC Spec S (the older school one) for $200. Works a treat.

If you want bang for buck there's a thread (search for it) that's about $20-30 and is probably the best valued and most effective bleed valve.

Good luck.

Mechanical is fine... your standard turbo doesn't exactly go from nothing to everything in terms of boost, so spiking won't be so much of an issue. Go that $22 one, you can't go wrong... if you decide to upgrade later on, you've only spent $22 on it !!!! :) But a number of people are running those (including me) and they are great.

I have always ran Turbosmart bleed valves in the past, and never really had spiking issues that I have noticed or have shown up on any dyno...?

I will probably fit one to my GTR.

FOr your application a Mechanical one would be fine...save your money :)

I have always ran Turbosmart bleed valves in the past, and never really had spiking issues that I have noticed or have shown up on any dyno...?

I will probably fit one to my GTR.

FOr your application a Mechanical one would be fine...save your money :)

My friends ran one and had spiking, nothing you'd worry about though *shrug*

I recon price wize of you only want 12psi is to get an rb20 actuator and then a bleeder. the actuator will get you 10psi and then you dont have to get the bleeder to work as hard to make the rest (bleeders seem to get more inaccurate with spiking and things the more you make them bleed). ive got this setup on my car and it works alot better than the bleeder alone!

Had a turbo smart type II in my WRX (before i saw the light) and if nothing else the launch switch rates high in the cool department.

Seriously though it was always accurate enough that it wasn't really noticable.

Good luck wich ever way you go