SAU Community

Show & Shine Wrap Up Thread

d00dz

We weren't dissapointed....just glad to see a race car hold its own in a show environment....stripped interiors etc aren't big winners with show judges.

Paul, au contraire, you *were* big winners with the judges.... Some of them anyway!

After last year's show, we revised the judging criteria, and the way judging was changed to a fairer system. This was our first run for this more involved and more intense judging system, which as everyone (including us) now knows, took a lot longer than we expected (both the actual judging, and entering in the results back into our database).

Basically we employed two tactics to keep the results fair:

1. We set much stricter judging criteria to address ALL *TYPES* of cars, from beautiful near-stock examples to all out-modified race cars like yours! We tried to make it an even playing field, regardless of what you chose to do with your car... Whether it be restore a classic KPGC10 GTR, keep your standard car absolutely immaculate, or modify the t1ts off it and churn out eleventy billion kw!

2. The second tactic we employed was to recruit a diverse range of judges. We got sponsor representatives, big names in the Skyline community, Mingara representatives, etc etc... This was undertaken with the aim to expose a large range of tastes to the judging criteria. One judge might like Malcolm's PRISTINE NISMO-demo car R33 GTS-t and give that top marks (which happened on more than one judging occasion if I remember correctly) and another might prefer the more modified examples of ULOOOK and MPH459 (both absolutely amazing cars)... In the end, there was only 3 points seperating the top 3 cars in this R33 GTS-t catergory!!!!

So as far as I'm concerned, the judging was a success!!! :) In any case, this isn't a professional car show, it's just an excuse to get all our pride and joy's out in the sun and have a chat to other SAU'ers and put faces to names! I hope that everyone enjoyed themselves as much as we did during the day...

I'll put up my photos soon when I get a chance to go through them!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, what a great day....i can't wait till next year when my car is finished. it was good to meet some new people too. awesome cars :)

who got people's choice award?

One judge might like Malcolm's PRISTINE NISMO-demo car R33 GTS-t and give that top marks (which happened on more than one judging occasion if I remember correctly)
I think that is the finest/cleanest Skyline of any model that I have ever seen in my life. For a car that is 12yrs old it put many R34 GTR/GTT's to shame.

Mr Shean is the secret product i've been told but sshh :)

Guest DIRTgarage
Paul, au contraire, you *were* big winners with the judges.... Some of them anyway!

After last year's show, we revised the judging criteria, and the way judging was changed to a fairer system. This was our first run for this more involved and more intense judging system, which as everyone (including us) now knows, took a lot longer than we expected (both the actual judging, and entering in the results back into our database).

Basically we employed two tactics to keep the results fair:  

1. We set much stricter judging criteria to address ALL *TYPES* of cars, from beautiful near-stock examples to all out-modified race cars like yours! We tried to make it an even playing field, regardless of what you chose to do with your car... Whether it be restore a classic KPGC10 GTR, keep your standard car absolutely immaculate, or modify the t1ts off it and churn out eleventy billion kw!

2. The second tactic we employed was to recruit a diverse range of judges. We got sponsor representatives, big names in the Skyline community, Mingara representatives, etc etc... This was undertaken with the aim to expose a large range of tastes to the judging criteria. One judge might like Malcolm's PRISTINE NISMO-demo car R33 GTS-t and give that top marks (which happened on more than one judging occasion if I remember correctly) and another might prefer the more modified examples of ULOOOK and MPH459 (both absolutely amazing cars)... In the end, there was only 3 points seperating the top 3 cars in this R33 GTS-t catergory!!!!

So as far as I'm concerned, the judging was a success!!! :) In any case, this isn't a professional car show, it's just an excuse to get all our pride and joy's out in the sun and have a chat to other SAU'ers and put faces to names! I hope that everyone enjoyed themselves as much as we did during the day...  

I'll put up my photos soon when I get a chance to go through them!

I hope you didn't get me wrong Merli.....I had a blast and enjoyed the day throughly...(got a chance to remind you of those legendary drunken photo's of you) We brought our car down so other people could enjoy what we have done to it. Had originally planned to race at a bracket meeting at WSID, but delays in parts meant the car was not on the road till wednesday last week. Pity Stace could not have attended as the car is as much a credit to her as me (she is the owner, financier and main driver). Additional thanks to the lad's from DIRTgarage who assisted in getting us to the event.

My car was probably the stockiest there!!! Why didn't they have an award for the cleanest and most "non-modified" Skyline? I would've won for sure... nonetheless, heaps of people still looked at my stocker (must be sympathy :) )

Does anyone have a pic of my car? I was too busy taking shots of all the other cars and forgot mine! White R34 GTT next to Danny's 32 GTR

PS: Danny, I think you were going WAY TO FAST on the way back... Good thing I didn't lose you!

Well I must say I was very surprised when my car was announced as the winner, I honestly thought CYIFLY would take out the R34 category, but it was justified that he did win the best exterior, it was a sweet looking car.

I would like to pass on a big thankyou to the organisers, judges and sponsors, and I think they were well rewarded with a huge turn out.

Merli,

I was wondering if you could post up the top 10 cars for each category and also the actual marks and what they were graded against. This will give an idea for people next year what to work on, if they want to give it a real go! I have a feeling that there was some strong focus on Go Fast bits, as there were a lot of winners with Modified cars.

Anyway thanks again, it just goes to show track cars can still be appreciated for some show value as well.

I also promise to put the drive day voucher to some good use!

Thanks

I hope you didn't get me wrong Merli.....I had a blast and enjoyed the day throughly...(got a chance to remind you of those legendary drunken photo's of you) We brought our car down so other people could enjoy what we have done to it. Had originally planned to race at a bracket meeting at WSID, but delays in parts meant the car was not on the road till wednesday last week. Pity Stace could not have attended as the car is as much a credit to her as me (she is the owner, financier and main driver). Additional thanks to the lad's from DIRTgarage who assisted in getting us to the event.

Nope! Didn't take you the wrong way... Just wanted to make sure that you knew how close the judging results were!!! :uh-huh:

I just wish we had more prizes and trophies to give out!!!

Yeah Yeah... some good feedback on the actual categorys would be really good! That way, I'll actually know what to do for next year!

Good idea Oz GTR02V... your car was absolutely AWESOME as well!

Merli,

I was wondering if you could post up the top 10 cars for each category and also the actual marks and what they were graded against. This will give an idea for people next year what to work on, if they want to give it a real go! I have a feeling that there was some strong focus on Go Fast bits, as there were a lot of winners with Modified cars.

I don't have a problem with posting up the results and judging criteria... I'll bring it up in the SNS Debriefing meeting :)

Keep in mind though, that I would hate for people to turn their cars into over-the-top show cars just for this little friendly show 'n shine...

Guest DIRTgarage
Oz GTR02V...  your car was absolutely AWESOME as well!

I must say that your car looked even better on the road....well done and congrats!

u should have awards for best rego'd/daily driver cars in each category too so that the show cars dont always hog the awards (even tho they were amazing)

My car was probably the stockiest there!!!  Why didn't they have an award for the cleanest and most "non-modified" Skyline?  I would've won for sure...  nonetheless, heaps of people still looked at my stocker (must be sympathy :) )

Does anyone have a pic of my car?  I was too busy taking shots of all the other cars and forgot mine!  White R34 GTT next to Danny's 32 GTR

PS: Danny, I think you were going WAY TO FAST on the way back...  Good thing I didn't lose you!

nah they were jus too slow..

i couldnt take it after a while lol

overtaking lane is for people overtaking not people cruising

]']nah they were jus too slow..

i couldnt take it after a while lol  

overtaking lane is for people overtaking not people cruising

ye stupid ppl just get in the right lane and sit there and drive slow

All I will say lucky I did not bring the slot car, would have been very UNIQUE ang got all the trophies. At least there was one zed there frotn and centre that was nice. Like a fish out of water though.

Seriously though it was VERY impressive day and Skylines RULE. Yesterday would have had to have been not only the BIGGEST collection and selection of Skylines in one place in Australia EVER but also for any Japanese imports. The biggest zed show and shine I think was Easter last year and around 45 cars.

I brought up that nice black R34 GTR V Spec II thinking this might be something special and there were heaps of them there. Paul L I think those MADGTR number plates help make your car. I LUV it.

Well done all round and glad to be part of this HUGE day. It was great to cacth up with lots of people and good to see B-Man there and getting another Skyline.