SAU Community

R32 GTR or R33 GTST?

The title says it all.

I am looking at buying either one for very similar pricing.

'91 R32 GTR 58000km factory. $29000 ( Black)

'96 R33 GTST 89000km; FMIC, 17 in Lensos, exhaust, BOV for $27500 (Silver)

Both have NSW rego.

This car is to replace my daily and any toy car that I own or wish to own.

So it still needs to be special but retain functionality.

What would you choose?

So in other words a great (stock) car Vs a slightly modded car.

Do those twin turbos really make that much of a difference?

You would be crazy to buy the Gts-t! The GTR will rip the mod'd Gts-t to pieces! I a GTR and would never even consider buying a Gts-t if i could afford a GTR! Its not just the twin turbo that makes the car faster its the fact it has the ATTESA 4wd system not to mention so many other bonuses id be here all night typing them out...

Bill,

I own an 90' R32 GTR with 67000ks in it and its pretty much stock. It's great as a daily driver as it an R33 gtst, which my friend owns with similar mods and a PFC. Of the two mine feels more solid in all areas with the flexibility of 4 or 2 wheel drive. In a straight line his gtst gets me with a rolling start only due to his mods and higher boost pressure. The gtst has more urgency mid range to top end, with mine coming on boost sooner and much smoother running out a little right at the top.

It also depends on whether you want to do work on them in the future, GTR (in my slightly tainted oppinion) = more potential!!

Try and drive them both before you make any decisions.

Good luck with the choice.

Get both....yes I'm biased.

If i had to choose between the two, I'd go the GTR for sure, more power, modification potential. GTST R33 is more spacious from inside, but i reckon it looks uglier than my 32.

Plus GTST= RWD fun ALL the time (yes i know u can pull the fuse on GTRs)

Also the 33 GTSTs are wayyyyyyyyy too common these days.

What's that GTST got? It's pretty pricey.

Sure, the gtr may be faster. But it really depends on which on you prefer. 32 gtr looks old on the inside and outside. Condition on the gtr will most likely be a lot worse than the 33.

When I bought my car, I had to make the decision, and I chose the 33. It's just like how people have to choose between r34 gtt and r33 gtr. same price.

At the end of the day, the 33 is 5 years newer.

People keep saying i'd never pay that much for an r33 gtst. That one may be a couple grand overpriced, but in general, people keep saying you can buy an r33 gtst sII for like 18k. yeah, you can, but what condition will it be in?

So true, a much newer car and will not go bang on you once you have owned it for a week.

"The GTR will rip the mod'd Gts-t to pieces"

My experiences say different...

Sure, the gtr may be faster. But it really depends on which on you prefer. 32 gtr looks old on the inside and outside. Condition on the gtr will most likely be a lot worse than the 33.

When I bought my car, I had to make the decision, and I chose the 33. It's just like how people have to choose between r34 gtt and r33 gtr. same price.

At the end of the day, the 33 is 5 years newer.  

People keep saying i'd never pay that much for an r33 gtst. That one may be a couple grand overpriced, but in general, people keep saying you can buy an r33 gtst sII for like 18k. yeah, you can, but what condition will it be in?

It depends on what he wants himself. In terms of looks its purely subjective, some people can't stand the R33 shape, i.e Boxish, Sedan, others like the R32 shape coz its more aggressive, tougher looking, yet others will say it looks oldish.

If he's thinking performance, then surely the GTR is a better base.

If he wants a newer car, then the GTST s2 is a better choice, or an s15 maybe.

So true, a much newer car and will not go bang on you once you have owned it for a week.  

"The GTR will rip the mod'd Gts-t to pieces"

My experiences say different...

what experiences are these ?

a 33 gtst would have to have some serious money put in to it to challenge even a lightly modded gtr

Man some of those posts are pretty good.

Mainly looking for factory performance. Only mods I would do to the R32 GTR would be front mount, exhaust, BOV. I know how well R33 GTSTs goe with the right mods. Have driven one with 207kw ATW, and that keeps me happy.

I am not too worried about the actual age of the vehicle just the condition. Bith are in a similar condition. VGC.

As for GTRs I would love to get a R32 GTR V spec II.

Man some of those posts are pretty good.

Mainly looking for factory performance. Only mods I would do to the R32 GTR would be front mount, exhaust, BOV. I know how well R33  GTSTs goe with the right mods. Have driven one with 207kw ATW, and that keeps me happy.

I am not too worried about the actual age of the vehicle just the condition. Bith are in a similar condition. VGC.

As for GTRs I would love to get a R32 GTR V spec II.

Don't bother upgrading the cooler on a GTR if your aiming for less than 250kw@wheels and the mods that you've suggested will only get you there if you run about 1.1 bar of boost

that 96 is a rip off . you could get a 98 r34 if you search for that price . then it becomes a different battle .

the r34 is much more modern , much newer , maintainence costs and insurance costs are less , modifications cost less to a degree

the r32 gtr has much more scope for high performance modifications

The R33 is an absolute rip off so if you are comparing those cars then the GTR wins hands down. However if you had the choice of a $17,000 R33 GTS-T and a $27,000 R32 GTR then I would personally go the R33. R33's are newer and look nicer when done right imo. Spend $10,000 on it and you will have a great looking and quick car.

Sup,

If your looking for factory mods and 200rwkw's get you going, then you could look no further then the 33. Newer, better interior, less likley to break etc. Though do you wanna buy a car that just "keeps you happy" or do you want to grow into the car, Neeed that extra power, WANT that 4WD corner exit. =)

- Michael