SAU Community

Regency in a month what do they look 4

WWWDOT

cars has to go to regency in a month for turbo timer, anything else i should be aware of. wheels are alright etc, is a boost controller legal?

any tips would be appreciated.

Which day is the best to go!

im booked for a wednesday

thanks guys

Your car got impounded hey.......... something about the car sliding around a corner in town

Saw it on the news on saturday, the plates where WWWDOT

Not good press for Skyline owners in this state

due to mminimal tread on my rear tyres being on the wear lines my car was carrying too much speed into the corner and i lost the back around pultney st onto north terrace. i corrected and continued down the road for a second when 3 police vehicles followed me and pulled me over.

i was then told my car was being impounded for the hoon law, none of which was stated to me. i waited with my car for 1 and a half hours before it was towed where i was lead to believe it was going into the lockup.

later on i was told of the news and then questined the police.

the car was left outside the compound for 15minutes while the media were notified.

they were also told all the personal details taken down by the officers, and were allowed to film the car without blurring the number plates.

now chanel 7, chanel 9 and the media relations officer from the police are appearing in court charged with defarmation and wrongful impounding of my vehicle for an offence not listed under the new hoon laws, which by the way is not listed anywhere, but a kind police officer was more than happy to give me all the relevant information.

So sorry guys if i have brought a bad rep onto anything, but i am positive about outcome for my own, and possibly others benefits in the future.

Luke

So your taking them to court, is that right?

If so hope you get them, good to see they really needed 3 cop cars to come and get you!, they relly put thier patrol cars in good positions don't they....... Then they wonder why we have a go at them when our cars get stolen and/or broken into.

Good luck fella think your gonna need it!

Typical media hype really, on the back of all that Commodore club stuff, its bound to happen

Good Luck with your case against the cops!

I realise you probably can't comment too much about an impending court case but if you can keep us as informed as you can that'd be great. I know I'm not the only one HIGHLY interested in the outcome. What's the bet this part doesn't get quite the same media attention?

Good luck with it all.

Back to your original question:

* I'd be removing the boost controller if you have one.

* Make sure your exhaust isn't too loud.

* The car isn't too low (it always best to run stock susp. if you can).

* Check that all your seat belts retract correctly, give them a sharp yank, then let go and they should go back all the way in one single movement (can be a bugger to adjust this right).

* Tyres obviously.

* No guages etc. on A-pillars or other areas that are "dangerous" or block vision.

* Any tinting that may be too dark, remove.

* Aftermarket steering wheel? MUST have a padded centre.

* Aftermarket gear knob? MUST have the shift pattern printed on it.

* Clean up the underside and engine bay, no leaks etc.

* Brake pads and rotors got enough meat on them?

* No rips in you seat fabric (apparently this is bad i don't know why).

That's all i can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more.

Great post Ash.

With respect to the steering wheel, if the OEM wheel had an airbag, then an aftermarket one must also.

Any aftermarket wheel must be shown to comply with ADRs or it will not get through.

thanks guys, im just a bit worried bout the wheels whether they are legal. they are drift r 18x8 and 18x9 but the tyre plackard says 17 and it was checked when i got defected. and i was told by the previous owner that the seat belts werent australia legal so im a bit unsure about them. other than that ill remove the gauge and the boost switch.

i went to get the second defect for the timer removed and the cop didnt know what one looked like or really where it should be.

he then was very helpful and gave me all the info on the new hoon law.

it only states 4 offences

- making excessive noise from wheelspin or stereo

- drag racing in a public place

- entering onto property as to damage it by driving over e.g. parklands etc

- producing ongoing wheelspin in a matter of a burnout.

none of these that were commited by myself or stated on the media.

the laywers have told me the cops may change the report so it benefits their side, but i am seeking compensation for my car being wrongly impounded and having to hire a vehicle, and also an on air apology from the tv stations that aired it for the number plate and razor blade which was on my centrecom.

also they are bringing up the issue of turbo timers, as they are able to be sold, but not legal on australian roads?

they are also bringing up the fact of HID xenon lights, when older cars lights fade to cream and yellow tinges, and are not defected, but these improved headlights give better vision and yet are not allowed.

ill keep you all posted, but i could be waiting a few weeks for a police response depends if the officer has filed his report etc.

Good luck with regency, if u get the youngish dude I did and u act nice u should be fine.

Tip: you go in there with a nice attitude they will treat you better, if something is wrong with your car never and I mean NEVER argue with them at worst make a few comments claiming a mechanic etc did it and u didn't know it had a small leak etc. Arguing just makes them picky!

Wheels might be a little large, I know the rule is 2" larger in diameter but you have 9" wide rears which I believe is a lil to wide isn't it, I thought it was 8" from memory for skylines.

Make everything as stock as poss, take the strut bar off even tho allowed just to make your car look less racey etc. Remove all gauges if u can be bothered to make your car look less racey although below the dash is alright.

All boost controllers are illegal remove those I got away with pluging the vacuum hoses and just removing the bleed etc.

Borrow stock rims and legal tread tyres it makes a big difference to there impression.

Make sure your cars 360mm centre of wheel to lip there a lil picky on that one at times. Hire some shocks etc from FBI etc if you don't have the stock ones. There easy az to fit.

Make sure all seat belts retract if not get some compressed air and blow the mechanism out it works a treat.

If u have a small leak and can't fix it get under your car around the corner from regency and wipe it off of course steam clean the engine bay first if a reasonably bad leak.

Pods for R33's etc are fine as the airbox is hard to come by.

Steering wheel make sure its stock or at least as big as stock. Stocks better but mates have got through with bigger aftermarket ones.

FMIC's fine just make sure they didn't cut the body to fit it in!

Exhaust should be ok being a turbo i haven't heard of any turbo not passing that test.

The simple stuff check all lights. Make sure the hand brake is tight otherwise you might not pass the brake test.

I got through first time it happens just make the car look clean and unraced and you should be fine! Good Luck Luke!

damn .... I just went and measured my S15 - front centre wheel to lip = 34.5cm, rear centre to lip = 35cm - and my suspension is STOCK!! (but sagging a bit).

My R34 front centre to lip = 32cm, rear centre to lip - 34cm (lowered springs).

the exhaust is a D&T which i will get checked by them on the weekend for emissions and noise level.

Does anyone have a set of stock rims i can borrow, willing to rent them for a day or whatever.

engine bay has no leaks, mechanically the car is A1.

i will have to remove front and rear strut braces. not sure about the intercooler, i think one side may have been cut coz mine has a pipe on each side and ive seen other skylines with them coming to one side usually.

steering wheel is stock with airbag, will have to remove boost gauge fro A pillar

What do they think about an Air flow Controller?

i would be willing to pay one of the boys that does general servicing to come out and look at the engine, as i dont know anything about the bleed valve and other crap on the turbo.

it has the standard blow off valve,

as for headlights, i have just basically pulled them apart and put in those lenses you see in all the european cars so that my HID Xenons work better, ill have to see if i can get a set of original globes in.

as for wiring would they penalise for leaving an amp cable behind the dash?

im going to tape everything up good.

appointment is on a wednesday the 10 of august.

is this a good day?

we should make a roster of when to book! :P

thanks guys

damn .... I just went and measured my S15 - front centre wheel to lip = 34.5cm, rear centre to lip = 35cm - and my suspension is STOCK!! (but sagging a bit).

My R34 front centre to lip = 32cm, rear centre to lip - 34cm (lowered springs).

Eyebrow height is different for different cars.

You can ring them and find out what the min specs are for your car.

yeah but in true Regency style, if I asked 10 different people there, I would get 10 different answers :) .... either way my front is way too low - but suprisingly the front bumper is 14cm off the ground at the lowest point. Same can't be said for the sump guard and the zorst.

just get the car as stock as physically possible. the size of your wheel is fine but the track is what you have to be worried about due to the width of your rims, that why i just found some stockies for mine!

Yeah when I said 360mm I meant for an R33 which I assume u have and so do I, if its turbo u need to be 360mm could be different for an S15.

Im sure they would winge about the airflow controller as it would inevitabily change the emissions.

FMIC should be ok, mine comes up on both sides but is any part of the body cut on the throttle body side?

Good luck with getting through will ask my mate if he can lend u his stockies

also they are bringing up the issue of turbo timers, as they are able to be sold, but not legal on australian roads?

Turbo Timers are legal on vehicles with a GCM of greater than 3.5 tonne. They are also legal on non-road going vehicles such as track cars and farm hacks that do not see public roads, hence there is no reason for them not to be sold.