SAU Community

where is alternator wire?

madmoomoo

Hey folks,

I'm suffering from a terribly annoying noise coming from the alternator. It's been there ever since I bought the skyline. I believe that this can happen when you have your input wires too close to power cables. So, I went and bought one of those noise cancelling things from jaycar and I was told to put this between the alternator and the battery, closest to the battery side.

I'm driving a series I R33 ('93) and the battery is in the boot. The only wire connected to the +ve side of the battery comes from the box next to it.

My question is this: Where should I be putting this device in?

At the moment I have it wired between battery and fuses, going into the amps, but it doesn't really do anything. I tried putting it in between the battery and this little box thing next to it, but the car didn't even start, so that quickly changed....

(In case I've confused anyone with what "noise cancelling device" I'm talking about, it's a cylindrical shaped thing with a positive cable coming out each end and a negative wire coming out one side. I'm told that that it doesn't matter with direction it's facing when wired, as long as it is grounded.)

If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated - even though I can't hear the whinning with loud music, when it's down low it drives me up the wall!

Thanks in advance!

The noise I get is in every gear. I hadn't really thought of putting it under the bonnet. I think I remembered the guy in jaycar saying to go as close to the battery as possible. If I had the choice I'd rather install it in the boot rather than in the engine bay. If need be I guess I could put it up front.

Anyone got any further ideas or info?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• And by the way, I've also checked the ECU diagnostic numerous times and got a bad O2 sensor code and initially an Ignition Primary code, which is why I replaced the O2 sensor and all the ignition components (coil packa, plug and loom). No codes have been coming up lately despite the ongoing issue.
    • Hey pber13, unfortunately still no luck. At this point the following has been done with little or no success: - Spark plugs replaced, gapped to 0.8mm - Splitfire coilpacks installed to replace originals - Replaced Ignition Coil/Coilpack harness with a new genuine nissan one - New fuel filter - Replaced AFM/MAF sensor - Injectors have been thoroughly cleaned with an online flush (without removing) - Upper engine and inlet decarbed - blew tons of black smoke out, cleared the carbon deposits from the top of the engine and exhaust.  - IACV removed and thoroughly cleaned with carburettor cleaner - O2 sensor replaced with new and genuine one -  Smoke test revealed no vacuum leaks - Healthy compression test of 160psi across all 6 cylinders Overall the car does run a lot smoother now, no backfires between gear shifts like it did originally... but the rough idle when warmed up is still there. It may not even be a misfire but simply a rough idle. Seems crazy to me that so many people have had this issue and seemingly no one has gotten to the bottom of it, or at least never bothered to post if they did! Hope you have more luck than I did pber13, I'm at a point now where I'm just going to try to ignore it unless it gets worse. Would love to fix it but I've genuinely run out of ideas of what it could be.
    • I got the full frenchys kit too. Really awesome kit. Easy to install my only complaint was the hardlines I think could be routed differently (I modified mine) but I realise the kit needs to suit multiple applications. This was the hard lines before I modified them. They were touching the wastegate pipe. I ended up reducing the distance between firewall and first bend. The made it so they tucked along the frame rail.
    • Deeve, I don't suppose that you've made any progress on this? My Stagea has the exact same problem, and just like you, I've read through as much as I can online, with no real progress. My car isn't throwing any codes at all, which is a little frustrating. I've changed plugs, checked the wiring and harness. A new MAF gets here next week, but I'm not hopeful it will solve the issue.
    • I installed it all myself,  It was really easy to install.  I got a professional to do the degas/gas.