SAU Community

My plan, is it good but?

Hey everyone,

Im selling my car in a few months and im looking at buying a skyline GTS R33 (non-turbo) for ruffly under $15,000 AUS

I will have around 19,000 or if im lucky 20,000 to spend on the car overall (includes purchase)

I dont want to touch the engine unless its to improve fuel economics or to fix bits, i have already asked about km's (ruffly 450 - 550km's per tank??)

i intend to do alot of exterior work (body kits and neons)

note: I know they are illegal but u can install a switch to turn them off, use for show-offs or cruising

If i cannot find a black skyline R33 GTS (non-turbo) i will repaint it with Jet Black, but i dont know how expensive it is to repaint etc. as i hear there can be double coat etc. for it (im new to the whole custom thing lol :rofl:

the audio system will be the pride and joy of the car and im allowing up to 1,500 for the system (includes install). I have sourced some ideas for it but i have a few questions which are below.

Audio Questions

1. I was wondering if its possible to install 6 speakers (2 front, 2 rear doors, 2 in back near the window) or can you only have 4 speakers??

2. Is it wise to have more than 2 subwoofers? (i was thinking of either 2 x 12" subwoofers in the boot, or if finances are nice then 2 x 12" and 1 x 15")

3. What type of amp will i need for?? (4 channel 400 watt kenwood or sony)

i will have more questions later on

thanks alot :rofl:

Is it wise to have more than 2 subwoofers? (i was thinking of either 2 x 12" subwoofers in the boot, or if finances are nice then 2 x 12" and 1 x 15")

whats the point? if set up correctly you cant really sit in the car with one 12' ..... too much bass sounds terrible... anymore than 1 is a waste of money and an overkill.

It also sounds like your dreams are bigger than your budget. With what you are talking about.. it being your pride and joy youll need a lot more than 1500

ps: audio section :rofl:

lol i know i have alot to learn but thats why im asking for help

liber8_d you said that my budget for buying the car is probably more than you'll need....

how much would you advice on spending, just for the car alone?

i will tone down the audio system lol :rofl: will only get 4 speakers. (what do you suggest)

thanks for the help and i know the audio section exhists but i have questions outside of audio such as paint jobs.

mate there is one forsale that is what you are looking for its black full stero in boot and everything you need for a non turbo.

just need to add a body kit and the neons and you will be set .

the car has just been resprayed and looks smick the guy u need to talk to is chrisnichollsis he will tell you everything you need to know cos it his car.

Gday champ.

You won't need anywhere near that amount of money for a non turbo r33. If you import yourself you could probably get one for peanuts.

If you want the stereo to be the pride and joy allow for about $10k for that.

One 12" as someone said is plenty for bass but you'll have to think if you're going to SQ or SPL. That is sound quality or sound pressure level (loudness).

If you're going for SQ you might prefer 2x8" or 2x10" which will give you better response and more SQ.

If you're going for SPL you might just like 2x15" and reinforce your bootlid :rofl:

Either way there's a reason why for the cost of a single IDMAX driver you can buy 10 sony explod drivers of the same size. It's all about quality, so forget buying simply on size and rms - look at the overall quality. Subs that report 1000rms usually mean PMPO not WRMS and are probably closer to 300wrms.

Just re-iterating if this is going to be a show only car you will need alot more than $1500 to do it up. If it's going to have street rep then it won't work because neons and massive kits in a non turbo skyline will be embarressing the 10th time you get smoked by a vvti echo.

Good luck :rofl:

thanks for all the audio advice someonestolecc :rofl:

i would like SQ far more than SPL. I have decided to spend more on the audio system and wait longer for other upgrades (around 2,500 to 3,000 on audio to start with and then work up)

i wont be using the car for street rep, i want to make a head turner car (if that makes sense)

also i have looked at the car "Let me drive" and i would loveee to buy that car and its exactly what i would want but sadly its a manual and i :rofl: drive autos (no manual cars in my family so i couldnt learn it...:rofl: if it was auto then i would snap that thing up faster than a hungry fat man at a buffet...

anymore info or advice for the audio and brands that are good (i hear kenwood is very good, also the sony exploder series is good??...wrong??)

thanks again for the help

when i buy the car i will keep you up to date on all the upgrades :rofl:

1) a non-turbo will come in well under $15K, maybe under $10K? good luck selling it though - its hard enough to sell an import let alone a non-turbo one.

2) I think you can have a pretty good audio system for $1500 - sure it won't be show quality ect. but it will get the job done with ease and certainly be loud enough.

3) Why on earth do you want to put a massive body kit and neons on a non-turbo skyline? No offence but be prepared to be ridiculed by everyone else on the road. I'm not criticising, Iv'e been there and done that when i was 18 (ok not neons but there was certainly a corolla and RICE involved). All show and no go is not a good thing.

yeh i intend to keep the car for a good 5 to 10 years (if it lasts that long, hopefully)

regarding to 2), i know you can get a pretty decent one for 1,500 but i want to create a nice looking audio system that maybe in the future (years time etc.) will goto a few car meets/shows etc.

im not buying the car for a full performance car, otherwise i would go for the Turbo etc.

i love the look of these cars and want to customize the exterior and interior of the car alot. my aim is to make a stylish car with a pretty decent audio system in it.

im just wondering the cost of a full body spray (black) as if i can find one for under 10k and is another colour i will snap it up

has anyone got any personal experience or suggestsions from brand names for speakers, subwoofers, amps or headunits?

thanks

My advice for the audio if you intend to compete in shows etc if you want to buy a system just give Marty from fhrxstudios.com a ring/email and tell him you have x to spend and you want to achieve y.

A full body spray can be anything from a few grand to double that.

If you intend to keep the car for 5-10 years I advise you getting a turbo manual or you will get bored. If you can drive ok now shifting isn't hard. If you weren't born a driver then fair enough stay with the slush stick :rofl:

Dude, I agree with someonestolecc, go the turbo or you'll regret it later. If you are scared of manual trans, don't be; I bought a GTR when I couldn't drive stick hardly at all, and you learn pretty quick. Outlay a few hundred for driving lessons if you have to, or ask anyone, uncles, cousins, friends etc if they can teach you in their manual car.

A decent full respray would cost around $3k or maybe a little less if you can do some prep yourself.

My tip: research, research, research!!! Then, import a black GTS-T, and get a decent audio setup($3k) and then forget about audio, because you'll have no money left over from buying too many mods.

mate get the stick,

from personal experence this year i moved to a manual and is been grouse, might take a bit but will be much more worth it in the long run cos those autos give up easy( i know had the non turbo, with body kit and stuff and it cost me more to have the auto then the manual.) driving lessens are not much and relly worth it in the long run.

melbmaniac, sounds like a good plan... i mean ya gotta start somewhere right.

Im 19 and i am looking for a 33GTS-T - but i don't want to be over power:weight in melb here... so i think i'm waiting until off P's.

Anyway. I started driving in auto and it's boring man

its like steering not driving.

as stated before, i'm sure you can find someone - anyone - who will be willing to teach you the basics. My dad taught me manual, didn't need lessons... but each to their own and everyone learns differently.

hell i'll come down and teach ya some basics. hehe.

im in caulfield btw.

:kewl:

If he wants at auto non-turbo R33 then I don't see the problem. He'll probably end up saving a little on maintenance (tires, turbo parts etc) and he clearly doesn't have an interest in going fast.

He wants a car to look at and R33's are hot (in my opinion) so why shouldn't he get one?

Besides, a non turbo auto will be the cheapest of the lot cause no-one wants em :rofl:

well its definatly giving me something to think about now lol

i live in mount eliza (near frankston)...which is suprisingly close to the SAU Vic club address

thanks for the links to the sites and car audio help :rofl: much appreciated

my dad knows how to drive a manual, so if he is willing i will get lessons off him :rofl:

*edit* also i would like to say this is a great community for skyline or soon-to-be skyline owners, very helpful and welcoming :rofl: i will be sure to join the Vic Club when i get the car

Dont forget insurance, it might be worth looking at www.justcars.com.au and doing a quote.

I think you'll will find you will still be up for $2000 a year, even though its non-turbo.

PS i'm from Mt Martha, which school did/do you go to?