SAU Community

Rice?!? Good Or Bad?!?

Dude!!!

Save your money untill off you "P's" and then you can go wild!

Maybe just rim's and a tidy up for now.

The money you spend now on it could be better used dump it in a term deposit so when your off your P's you have Money + intrest earned to spend on car or buy new car!!!

Save now and spend when you will beable to appreciate it more i.e. less limits to what you can do.

Naman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end, horses for courses. One person's "omg hektik" is another person's "what a fnarken retard". If you want to do it and you think it looks good, then you're getting your money's worth. Its not like anyone else is paying for it.

Just be prepared for reactions that range from your usual pimply-faced dropkick with about as much clue about driving as they have about nuclear physics giving you props because your petrol-guzzling fashion accessory is "the bomb", as people who prefer their sports cars to be....you know....sporty and go fast, using you as an example of how shallow the car enthusiast gene pool has gotten these days.

The way I see it (as if it wasn't clear enough already), people who rice up their cars and live the "auto salon" culture are ****ing stupid. They take a perfectly good sports car, one that might be lauded as near the top of its class, and then they systematically disable everything that made it so good.

Ricers are arriviste that want to look like the knowledgeable people who bought and appreciate the cars for what they're good at, building their reputation as street or track weapons, and then just ruin cred of the cars by making them loud and gaudy, and go like shit, and make the true enthusiasts look bad by cruising around acting like complete tools.

But, don't let the fact that I'll think you're not even useful as raw material for soylent green deter you from tarting up your car like a $2 hooker. I think lots of people who aren't in to driving, maintaining and modifying sports cars properly are losers too.

The way I see it (as if it wasn't clear enough already), people who rice up their cars and live the "auto salon" culture are ****ing stupid.

you seriously have a nieve outlook on things, justifying every person that acts like an idiot on the road and calling them a "ricer" that lives the "auto salon" culture is stupid, have you actually been to an autosalon event or read the magazine??? not every car they feature is "riced" they also feature alot of japanese tuned cars, cars that are from notable tuning houses and are actual time attack or circuit cars or drift cars, in fact in the last 3 or 4 issues they've featured a number of these sorts of cars, some even built here by chasers in melb. and such, just coz u see some random idiot in a riced up car acting like a tool, doesnt mean every single person that drives a "riced" up import is like that.....

and saying everyone who participates in the "auto salon" culture is like them is also a waste of you typing coz ur wrong, in fact doesnt SAU have members that compete there cars in autosalon??? are you calling them "idiots" that dont know how to "modify there cars properly" as well??? seriously think before you start ranting.

seriously think before you start ranting.

I do. Hence why my first sentence was "horses for courses". I gave an unbiased view first, and then I gave mine (which, being my personal opinion, can't be anything but biased). Bear in mind that he was asking for personal opinions, so (once again) as I said, expect both sides of the spectrum.

Naive. That's rich...

I don't have time for show ponies. I don't have time for people who treat their cars like works of art, rather than tools for carving corners. I've been to an Auto Salon, which was more than enough, and when other people go and bring back pics I still check them out. I look at cars that, at the low end of the scale, are unsuited for commuting on Sydney's pockmarked roads and will probably break stuff when taken for a spirited country drive. On the high end, some of the Salon cars (like that gold plated S15, or the single seat Osman's WRX) can't even reasonably be driven anymore.

I've read a couple of ASM's. I read one of the recent ones, where they took a bunch of hi po cars on the dyno, strip, track, etc. When these guys hit the track, the attrition rate was horrible.

A full half of their field had mechanical failure. But, just because their sports cars break down when they're used for motorsports doesn't necessarily mean they're not "modified properly", right? :roll:

Of the half that did manage to finish the timed session, only a couple of them were lapping the track at times I wouldn't be embarrased to make public had I spent that much on "performance".

The cars were great on the dyno though, and most did a reasonable job on the strip. Not places that I, personally, think are great venues to demonstrate driving ability.

But, for every feature car that has the go to match the woah (for as little time as the thing doesn't blow hoses or crack intake piping), how many bimbo boxes with OTT fibreglass bodykits, loud exhausts and slammed on big rims (which are the extent of their "performance" mods), and retrimmed interior with big stereos do they show off?

It might because I'm a driving enthusiast, rather than a car enthusiast. I care about how a vehicle performs as a package over a long period of time, not how good a job it does when sitting stationary inside a big convention centre or when its driven at full noise for under a quarter of a minute. But as for naive, I've been in to cars for a while and I've hung around with everyone from ricers to touge style drivers to track warriors to large-capacity street machiners. I've seen a wider range of subcultures, and I decided what I like based on that.

But that's just me, and I'm in a minority. A lot of people these days are impressed with bling, whereas I'm the kind of guy that likes sleepers and "drift cops". Cars that go quick and are either stock looking, or so delapidated outside that the owner clearly has their priority on getting from A to B rather than leaning on their fenders while parked at A.

As for the SAU members that compete in Auto Salon, here's a hint from the real world Mr "you're naive"; not everyone happens to like what other people are into. I won't go out of my way giving them a hard time about it but, if asked, I'll shoot from the hip and tell them what I think. If this thread was about "check out my mad bodykit / paintjob / whatever" I would have kept my opinion to myself. But, since its asking what I think about rice, I'll state my piece.

And are you saying that, just because they're on SAU that they inherently know how to modify their cars legally and with mechanical skill? Does signing up for an account or paying some money for a club membership automagically imbue you with engineering skills? Sorry, who were you calling naive again?

That said, it doesn't mean I don't like the people doing it as well. They might be perfectly nice people, and great to hang out with. But then I'm not naive enough to assume that this one facet about them is everything about them.

Its bad.. :cheers:

I'd much prefer to make the car go harder than wasting money on body kits, bov's, neon lights etc.. Once its going hard then sure. Do the body kit but please no neon lights, they belong on Hyundai's. :(

I see a riced up car with big go fast wings, 6" exhaust tips big loud bov, watch it take off with its stock smooth clutch and think hrmm ok.. lol

heh scathing ...

that reminds me of seeing a wrx with 19" rims going around the track... -.-

A car enthusiast must have at least more then one car... a race car, and a pimped car :cheers:

Then agian, in japan atm they are all about combining the street car with the race car style, becuz its more of a challenge then if it was just circuit/drag built. (eg gutted interior etc) Also, becuz its more practical that way for normal people to have a fast car they can drive on the street, n they make more money .. etc etc

Sure if u want a blinged out car, you can get the attention. But attention isnt always a good thing...cops, critics

Rice, (in my opionion) is a waste of $. The closest I would get to rice would be buying a car with a factory bodykit and maybe putting some nice gunmetal Volk TE37 or similar jap wheel.

Buy the GTS look after it properly. Save the $ spent on rice, gain interest then,

Buy a GTST look after it properly. Save the $ spent on rice, gain interest then,

Buy a GTR.

A GTR will put a much bigger and long lasting grin on your face than a riced GTS will.

Disclaimer: this is all just IMHO and is based on the enjoyment of using a car rather than looking at one.

IE do u want to be a :cheers: or a :Pimp2:

the problem with the majority of ricers (about 99.99% of them) is that they actually belive the changing the paint and slaping on a loud exuast will make their car go faster. as long as you know that slapping on a bodykit will slow your car down etc you'll be fine.

i think asking if you should rice up your car is like asking if you should get your nose/boobs done. keep it natural.

haha... I'm a Ricer at heart :P

IMARICER.JPG

... but my rice is all shits and gigles on my slush bucket lol

the 5kw i get from my neons is cancelled out coz they weigh several kilograms

LOL

-Ruffels