SAU Community

Stagea Brakes

...I find that hard to believe, as you can see from the following list all 5 stud Nissan (inc. Skylines 2WD and 4WD) have the same offset, 54 mm (or 53.75 to be pedantic). Someone else reckons the S2 rotors are 290 mm diameter, which I also find hard to believe as no other Skylines have 290 mm rotors, anyway a 3 mm radius wouldn't make any difference, they would be OK to use.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

I was one of the people who went down the path of getting a set of R33GTsT-spec front rotors and getting them machined down the 6mm (3mm metal removed), to be 290mm (same diameter as my original S2 fronts). S2 RS-FourV (auto), 2000 model year.

Unfortunately, after getting all of that sorted, I found that the offset was different. Out by at least a few mm?. I don't have the exact measurements, only a couple of pic's which gives an idea. But I still have the rotors (paperweights now) so I can measure the stock rotors and the new ones.

Here are a couple of pics; note the nasty gouges out of the new (slotted) rotor where I fitted it to the car, and then rolled the car a few feet by hand wondering what that grinding sound was. That's all it took to destroy a nice new rotor :P Ah well, I was only going on advice off the forums, I knew there was a fair chance it wouldn't all be peachy. Just lazy sometimes I guess lol.

post-32445-1257166761_thumb.jpgpost-32445-1257166889_thumb.jpg

DaveB

Edited by DaveB

Hey everyone again,

Ok, Sourced a set of R34 GTT front Calipers.

Just priced up Front Rotors and Pads :) All coming together now...

DBA 42304S L/R directional $280 ea. (4000 series slotted)

DBA 42304 non directional $230 ea. (4000 series non-slotted)

Bendix HD DB 1170 $90

Do these prices sound right? I was warned the R34 Rotors might be a bit hefty.

Now I did read through this thread and I recall someone may have mentioned the S2 RSFOUR

rear rotors and pads may be R31 equivalent?

Can someone confirm please?

Thanks

Hi Gary,

I was one of the people who went down the path of getting a set of R33GTsT-spec front rotors and getting them machined down the 6mm (3mm metal removed), to be 290mm (same diameter as my original S2 fronts). S2 RS-FourV (auto), 2000 model year.

Unfortunately, after getting all of that sorted, I found that the offset was different. Out by at least a few mm?. I don't have the exact measurements, only a couple of pic's which gives an idea. But I still have the rotors (paperweights now) so I can measure the stock rotors and the new ones.

Here are a couple of pics; note the nasty gouges out of the new (slotted) rotor where I fitted it to the car, and then rolled the car a few feet by hand wondering what that grinding sound was. That's all it took to destroy a nice new rotor :) Ah well, I was only going on advice off the forums, I knew there was a fair chance it wouldn't all be peachy. Just lazy sometimes I guess lol.

post-32445-1257166761_thumb.jpgpost-32445-1257166889_thumb.jpg

DaveB

I think this has been discussed that the r33 gtst has the wrong offset, but if u check 350z touring rotors they may have the right offset, so all needed is to machine it down from 296mm to 290mm like what u did on the r33 rotors.

Hey,

Ok Ive read through this whole thread now, So would I be right in concluding that

R32, R33 and R34 rear calipers and rotors are completely universal?

So if I gave in on the hunt for rear rotors could I source ANY of the above?

Also, I understand that the rear lines will need to be changed. But would I need

to change the master cylinder?

I came across a post by "Techo" and he stated that RDA made a rear rotor?

Has anyone confirmed if this is true?

Aerron

Hi All,

RDA have a listing for standard S2 Rear rotors. no mods, straight fit! P/N: RDA 7657.

Just bought a pair for <$150!

This probably means they do standard front rotors as well.

Hope this helps

Edited by JDM_Spirit

Hey,

Ok Ive read through this whole thread now, So would I be right in concluding that

R32, R33 and R34 rear calipers and rotors are completely universal?

So if I gave in on the hunt for rear rotors could I source ANY of the above?

Also, I understand that the rear lines will need to be changed. But would I need

to change the master cylinder?

I came across a post by "Techo" and he stated that RDA made a rear rotor?

Has anyone confirmed if this is true?

Aerron

Dunno about S2 but I have installed R34 GTT calipers and rotors using the original lines and master cylinder and everything is fine. Had to trim the backing plate on the rears and pull the bits out of the calipers to convert to banjo fittings. My 17in road wheels fit fine but need the 25mm spacers on the front to enable my 16in track wheels to clear the R34GTT calipers. I believe some calipers (R33 GTST?) will fit with a modification to allow for different mounting bolts but the R34GTT had the same mounting bolts as my S1

Dunno about S2 but I have installed R34 GTT calipers and rotors using the original lines and master cylinder and everything is fine. Had to trim the backing plate on the rears and pull the bits out of the calipers to convert to banjo fittings. My 17in road wheels fit fine but need the 25mm spacers on the front to enable my 16in track wheels to clear the R34GTT calipers. I believe some calipers (R33 GTST?) will fit with a modification to allow for different mounting bolts but the R34GTT had the same mounting bolts as my S1

Ok, as I have a S2 I can I retain the factory rear brake lines? Or is this limited to only S1s?

Im glad to hear about using the factory Master Cylinder. :P

Again, can anyone confirm "Techos" post?

Thanks

hey guys,

ive got a late model S2 RS4-S. December 99

i've got rob from Sabaddin working on the front breaks, but hes having trouble figuring out a solution as its different to every other stagea hes done..

current rotors are.

289 Diameter

26 min thickness ?

49 offset

68 centre.

and a 2 spot caliper.

EDIT:

okay so he's figured it out! :) i'll post up details for everyone once its done :D

TC

Edited by atomaly

hey guys,

ive got a late model S2 RS4-S. December 99

i've got rob from Sabaddin working on the front breaks, but hes having trouble figuring out a solution as its different to every other stagea hes done..

current rotors are.

289 Diameter

26 min thickness ?

49 offset

68 centre.

and a 2 spot caliper.

EDIT:

okay so he's figured it out! :) i'll post up details for everyone once its done :blush:

TC

well, what was the outcome???

bad news about part number hopefuls...theres no part number the rotor he used, and he got them from a personal supplier who custom fabricates parts! if you want to try and get them through Rob, he said you're more than welcome to give them a ring!

Rob @ sabaddin Automotive 59 roberts ave mulgrave ph - 03 9558 4422

Tomas.

Edited by atomaly

bad news about part number hopefuls...theres no part number the rotor he used, and he got them from a personal supplier who custom fabricates parts! if you want to try and get them through Rob, he said you're more than welcome to give them a ring!

Rob @ sabaddin Automotive 59 roberts ave mulgrave ph - 03 9558 4422

Tomas.

can you even get dimensions?

my mechanic has ordered DBA 4963 for the front and DBA 4926 for the rear

the 4963 looks like it should be OK, based on post 1 of the thread (machined down of course), but not sure of the 4926

how much do these rotoes cost generally?

alright, well i'm still without a car as the mechanic was having all sorts of trouble with finding rotors to fit

what size do i need for a S2 RS Four S?

are the factory manual stag rotors different to the factory auto stag rotors?

help please :P

Edited by Stooge007

so what's the latest line of thinking?

FRONT

- RDA 954S direct fit?

- DBA 4963 (machine down OD by 3mm)?

bit wary of the DBA 4963 due to this post: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4914520

REAR

- DBA 4908 (machine down OD by 5mm)?

so frustrating!

Edited by Stooge007

RDA954 & DBA4963 (RDA7693) are both 296mm OD so both need to be machined down OD if you're persistent)

However DBA4963 (RDA7693) has the wrong offset and therefore based on that post above, you should probably disregard using this rotor and go for RDA954 which has the right offset.

I think this has been discussed earlier in this thread it is just so hard to track down 29 pages thick.

RDA954 & DBA4963 (RDA7693) are both 296mm OD so both need to be machined down OD if you're persistent)

However DBA4963 (RDA7693) has the wrong offset and therefore based on that post above, you should probably disregard using this rotor and go for RDA954 which has the right offset.

I think this has been discussed earlier in this thread it is just so hard to track down 29 pages thick.

legend :D

it was hard to track through the whole thread!

i assume the RDA954 is the non-slotted version, and the RDA954S is slotted?

what's the going price for these?

is there an RDA equivalent of the DBA 4908?

thanks again :)

EDIT - have also now just posted in the RDA group buy thread

Edited by Stooge007

on 2nd note, RDA908 is 297mm OD and based on this discussion it needs to be machined down to 292mm (shave 5mm off the OD).

RDA now have a 292mm OD rotors for 350z touring non brembo rear, with part number RDA7657

However looking at the spec DBA4908/RDA908 has 63mm offset while RDA7657 has 62mm offset.

Another issue is the RDA7657 thickness is only 16mm as opposed to DBA4908/RDA908 has 18mm thickness.

I am not sure if 1mm offset and 2mm thickness differences will cause an issue or not,

so anyone tried using RDA7657 ? The DBA equivalent is DBA574 (292mm od x 16mm thick x 62mm offset).

bit wary of the DBA 4963 due to this post: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4914520

I can't confirm DBA 4963 because my rotors were RDA's but I can confirm the R33GTsT offset rotors do not fit the front of my series 2 RS-FourV stagea, no matter what I machine the OD to :)

I can't confirm DBA 4963 because my rotors were RDA's but I can confirm the R33GTsT offset rotors do not fit the front of my series 2 RS-FourV stagea, no matter what I machine the OD to :)

which RDA's were they?

the RDA 954?

allegedly they are slightly different offset?