SAU Community

New P Plater laws for N.S.W

spikeman900

Ive found yet another reason why the goverrnment hasnt got a clue on how to save lives.

The new p plate laws that were brought in during July has really annoyed the hell out of me. They say that the performance car youth are too dangerous on our roads. Sure the majority of us can behave to a point, but there are some that cross the line now and then. But you cant accuse them, as we all do it, its just a part of being a young driver.

Im inclined to agree that we could reduce the road toll, but the way there going about this is way too stupid.

The government has banned high powered motor vehicles to provisional liscence drivers. But to logically look at this new law, you wonder what type of grass the government was smoking when they made it.

I have recently looked through the list of banned V8, turbocharged, and supercharged vehicles on the rta website, and for starters the list is 98 pages long. With around 30 cars on each page, it equates to around 3000 banned vehicles! For starters, for this law to be enforced, highway patrol officers all around the state would have to have issued lists of all these banned vehicles so that these turbocharged, supercharged and V8 vehicles can be identified. Even with something like this, how would the average cop know what a 20 year old Nissan Exa or something similar looks like, let alone know that paticular model ET Pulsar had the turbo motor. See the logic?

To see it another way. I read through the pages to find a few standout vehicles that were 'too overpowered' for provisional drivers to drive, the Nissan Silvia S13 Turbo, the Toyota Starlet Turbo and the Ford Lazer TX3 turbo.

these cars do not produce over 140 flywheel kilowatts! Yet non turbo family cars such as Camrys or sedan Commodores can produce the same amount of power, if not more, yet these cars are still easily obtainable by provisional drivers.

Yet, the government fails to realise that the cars that are still obtainable by p plate drivers can all exceed the speed limit and all can claim lives by being used to do so, which we still will keep on doing. So why is it that myself and all the other young performance car enthusiasts have to get by on 'normal performance cars', when these cars can kill us anyway.

Sorry bout the long story, just needed to express the point. I havent yet got my Ls, but i know that soon this law will effect me, as well as many others in terms of buying a performance car in the future. The government is corrupt as!

NSW is taking a lead role in trying to slow down the rate of deaths of young drivers, and for that they should be congratulated.

The devil, Cameron, is always in the detail.

Look at it this way: if you want performance at a young age, then get into a moderately powered car, and buy a kart to race for a few years until you're through the P years. Overall cost is very bearable, and you know when you're good - trophies tell the truth.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Ive found yet another reason why the goverrnment hasnt got a clue on how to save lives.

The new p plate laws that were brought in during July has really annoyed the hell out of me. They say that the performance car youth are too dangerous on our roads. Sure the majority of us can behave to a point, but there are some that cross the line now and then. But you cant accuse them, as we all do it, its just a part of being a young driver.

Im inclined to agree that we could reduce the road toll, but the way there going about this is way too stupid.

The government has banned high powered motor vehicles to provisional liscence drivers. But to logically look at this new law, you wonder what type of grass the government was smoking when they made it.

I have recently looked through the list of banned V8, turbocharged, and supercharged vehicles on the rta website, and for starters the list is 98 pages long. With around 30 cars on each page, it equates to around 3000 banned vehicles! For starters, for this law to be enforced, highway patrol officers all around the state would have to have issued lists of all these banned vehicles so that these turbocharged, supercharged and V8 vehicles can be identified. Even with something like this, how would the average cop know what a 20 year old Nissan Exa or something similar looks like, let alone know that paticular model ET Pulsar had the turbo motor. See the logic?

To see it another way. I read through the pages to find a few standout vehicles that were 'too overpowered' for provisional drivers to drive, the Nissan Silvia S13 Turbo, the Toyota Starlet Turbo and the Ford Lazer TX3 turbo.

these cars do not produce over 140 flywheel kilowatts! Yet non turbo family cars such as Camrys or sedan Commodores can produce the same amount of power, if not more, yet these cars are still easily obtainable by provisional drivers.

Yet, the government fails to realise that the cars that are still obtainable by p plate drivers can all exceed the speed limit and all can claim lives by being used to do so, which we still will keep on doing. So why is it that myself and all the other young performance car enthusiasts have to get by on 'normal performance cars', when these cars can kill us anyway.

Sorry bout the long story, just needed to express the point. I havent yet got my Ls, but i know that soon this law will effect me, as well as many others in terms of buying a performance car in the future. The government is corrupt as!

Here are the facts:

Mazda RX8 : APPROVED

Honda S2000 : APPROVED

Merc C180: BANNED (coz of that sorry of an excuse for a Supercharger called Kompressor) This car produced just over 100KW!!!!!

Mazda MX5 SE Turbo : BANNED

What f**king tool would think that RX8 and S2000's are not as powerfull as a Lazer TX3 turbo?!?!?!?!?!

Don't you think that with Merc's advanced safetly features and teh bucketloads of airbags that it would pass??? Of course not because a "Kompressor" is not allowed

WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP!!!!!

Man, I hope I never have to go back on my P's