SAU Community

Need Some Advise

I better clear things up, im able to loan 2-4k no more, i really dont want to get into any debt, would rather buy a car free of mind without the burden of a loan.

So ya, up to 26'ish now.

Thoughts?

Also, whats the major difference? And what is a better idea, Jap Spec of Aus?

Insurance on the Jap spec alot more? etc

R33

S15

I need a car that i can drive daily, to uni/work and back etc.

So you all recommend buying a stock Skyline, and doing all the mods myself, or get the S15?

Just wondering, whats the performance difference between the S15 and R33 Gts-t, how much would i need to spend to get the same potential of power on the S15 as a opposed to the R33? ( And how much would it cost me)

The S15 cacthes my eye because is new, the skyline just "had to" get below the year 2000 =p

Ive been driving a Mazda 3 Maxx Sport 2005 model, so im not sure the feel of the new car will still get the best of me. Hope not.

Thanks

Any more suggestions/advise please reply, i need all the help possible =)

Personally, I would not buy a car already modified. Do the mods yourself - then at least you know exactly what has been done and how well it has been done. Also, you will have fun and learn a lot too.

Hmmm...S15 Vs R33...tough one

The SR's hammer hard with little mods but the Skyline has more presence on the road. I would go skyline but I am bias. In my opinion, the Skyline is far tougher and can take a lot, the RB sounds better than the SR too.

Go Skyline me thinks.

I think you should buy A R33 GTS-t stock and do it all yourself you'll have much more fun that way and you can choose what you wont to be done to it without someelse already have chosen for you.......yes the S15 is a great drift car but i suppose it depends what your looking for a nice daily driver or a hard worked DRIFT car but if it is a daily driver your looking for go the R33 i would say IMO

R33 Gts-t's are in general, 8-10k less than as S15.

Different price league so if you're tossing up between the two, why not save thousands and get the Gts-t. Stock for stock, they will be about the same performance.

Spend some of those thousands you saved on the R33 and you'll leave the S15 for dead.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeh im wanting a car that i can drive daily, to uni/work and back etc.

The reason why i thought i could probably get an S15 for 23, it would most likely be imported by myself, or spend an extra 2k ( +2 on a loan) but dont want to dive into a debt.

So you all recommend buying a stock Skyline, and doing all the mods myself.

Just wondering, the performance difference between the S15 and R33 Gts-t, how much would i need to spend to get the same potential of power on the S15 as a opposed to the R33? ( And how much would it cost me)

The S15 cacthes my eye because is new, the skyline just "had to" get below the year 2000 =p

Ive been driving a Mazda 3 Maxx Sport 2005 model, so im not sure the feel of the new car will still get the best of me. Hope not.

Thanks

Any more suggestions/advise please reply, i need all the help possible =)

Personally for that sort of money I would go the S15. Are you talking about an import S15 Siliva or the local S15 200sx?

Newer car, the styling is so sexy especially in black, and if you mean the 200sx well then its not an import so easier insurance ect.

I think $23K is a bit much for an R33, if you go that route I would buy an early model for around $14K spend a few thousand on doing it up (performance wise) and put the rest in the bank.

:uh-huh:

tough choice....R33 or S15....hmmm....

if you can find a nice s15 for under $23 (wishful thinking), then i'd say go for it.

they are newer, look sexy as all hell, and have a much better stock turbo than the r33's. Respond reasonably well to mods, and the interior is much nicer.

Don't get me wrong, i drive a skyline, but if you could afford it, got the s15.

Just a much better looking car all round IMO.

But its up to you - drive both and see which one you like better

Good Luck

I still think that we are comparing apples with oranges.

If now were talking $2-3k more, perhaps consider an R34...you would get a tiptronic for that price. In my opinion the 34 shits all over the S15 in every aspect.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeh im wanting a car that i can drive daily, to uni/work and back etc.

The reason why i thought i could probably get an S15 for 23, it would most likely be imported by myself, or spend an extra 2k ( +2 on a loan) but dont want to dive into a debt.

Dude, i had this same problem about 2 months ago. I had a chance to import in the S15 as well through private import. But getting it for A$23,000 is a little difficult. Unless you are getting the 1999 model with very very high kms. Right now in Japan, the Pearl White S15 demand is high but supply is low as Japs loves their white cars...so i'm sure the prices will not be that low. That's if u r getting a white one :cheers:

If i am not wrong, you can only import models from 1999 till dec 2000 unless you had owned the car in Japan for a year and wants to import it as your own car from Japan into australia. I have friends in Japan doing imports too. With A$23,000 does that get the car ON ROAD? The FOB price of the car in japan is already about A$20,000 converted from YEN 1,690,000 That is a 2000 model Spec R with about 60,000kms. Shipping will cost at least $1,500. Compliance another $3000. Insurance is a killer. I was qouted $2,800 by justcars. Maybe because i'm 22 but for the GTST, my comp is only $1,100. Anyway maybe you have your own contacts :uh-huh: No offense :(

Instead of getting my JDM S15, i got myself an R33 S2 GTST in perfect stock form, clean interior, about 58,000kms :confused: .

I was so interested in getting the JDM S15 that I even paid a A$9,000 deposit for the S15 to my friends to start the paper work in Osaka. However, after researching more and listening to advices from S15 owners, i've discovered that the S15 6 speed gear box has major mechanical problems. A friend of mine here in melbourne with a Pearl White ADM S15, he has changed his gearbox at 35,000kms because it 'screwed up' somehow. Luckily he had Nissan Warranty still. Go to the NS forums to ask those owners, most of them have changed their S15 gearboxes to the S14 5 speed gearbox or they get the local ADM and use the warranty to change a new gearbox.

As you know that car is built to drift. During rainy days, the S15 loves to 'get its rear out'. 'Fish Tail' take offs are very very common even if you have the best tyres in the world.

If i'm not wrong the S15 weighs a mere 1260kg whilst the GTST R33 weights 1370kg. So in terms of stability and safety, i would prefer a heavier car.

Another thing that put me off is that the total price i will be spending on the S15 will be around $27g - 28g imported in. An R33 GTST S2 will cost around 18g-21g. With the leftover of A$6,000 you can use that to mod your Skyline NICELY, get a new turbo and you will shit all over the S15 no matter if it's the 147kw ADM or 183kw JDM.

In terms of power, both cars are equally great cars. ON PAPER, the lighter S15 will take off faster than the R33 GTST but the skyline will catch up. It all depends on the driver.

IMO, the S15s just blends so well into the traffic. It just look like a normal car which blends into the traffic whereas the Skyline is very distinctive and easily spotted. That's why i think most pple think that skylines are more common and S15s are more 'unique'. When i was driving around Melbourne today in the SE areas and city, i've spotted more S15s than skylines.

If you buy a mod-ded car, common sense will tell u that the previous owner must have trashed it if not why did he want to mod the car? For the looks only he decides to put in a $1000 exhaust?

Ultimately, the choice still belongs to you. I was 'hooked' by the S15 because its a newer car, great looking exterior but i never really think about the long run. I am enjoying my skyline right now, i have yet to start mod-ding it. Quite excited to mod my car the way i want it rather then getting something that has already been mod-ded.

Cheers

Hey mate, I've probably got a different perspective on these two cars,

I'd get the S15 (but a local one)

If you do alot of city driving, its a shiteload better on fuel and theres barely any lag (i hit full boost at around 2,500rpm (s14) and can get nearly 500km a tank (city driving).

The SR20 is cheaper to modify as its a smaller engine, and servicing can be done at nissan (where the right diagnostic machines are). These cars responde more efficiently to mods than the gts-t.

Trust me take it to nissan to be serviced (One of the "jap" mechanics occasionally mentioned on this forum is shite, my car came in worser condition after it came from them (and costed me $$$$'s more than nissan)

Being under 25, my insurance is stuffed (2k a year) but there is not going to be a large varience with premium pricing between the two.

Hence, get an S15(local) 200sx as its a more practical car with petrol $'s these days. The insurance is going to cost you heaps either way, but one thing that might be harder is finding one thats around your threshold (23K?) thats still in a decent condition.

Good luck with the buying, hope you buy a car that you're happy with

Depending where you come from I dont think you will get an S15 for 23k though.

Too right!! I don't think you'll find an S15 at that price with much ease. If you want to buy a car, and put lots of fast bits on it, then think about something a little cheaper. Like an R32. That way you will find you have a little bit to play around with. With 23k, you won't see much change if you buy an R33 and/or no change if you find a S15 down at that price range.

It just depends on what you want from the car. What it is going to be used for etc.

Sava

Fulllock Motorsport

www.fulllock.com