SAU Community

seriously loud ride!

hey all,

my new r32 gtr has tein coilovers, not sure what model, but there is the most frustratingly loud banging noise from the rear over every bump!

i have never had coilovers before and these came with the car so i dont know what to expect, the car is not excessively lowered, guards are about 2inches off the rubber (i imagine its set to stock ride height).

there appear to be no other suspension mods.

but this deep banging/bumping noise is worrying me, i have only had the car 1 day and the clutch has died so i havent had a chance to try and diagnose the problem.

any suggestions/thoughts would be great

cheers

dan

btw im 99% sure its the teins everything in boot (spacesaver and tools etc) is secured pretty well

before you go to all that expense does it sound like a "loose" bang or a tight one? I pulled the back seats out and stuff to find something floating around loose beneath the parcel shelf. might be worth a look if it's a "loose" bang

no its a tight bang, its a metallic sound, but not tinny, very solid. and can be pinpointed side from side if i go over a bump or ditch with only the one side then the noise comes from that side(obviously)...

if fate decides a rebuild, would it be cheaper to just get bilsteins?

and any suggestions where to get tein's rebuilt in sydney (or australia!)

thanks

dan

no its a tight bang, its a metallic sound, but not tinny, very solid. and can be pinpointed side from side if i go over a bump or ditch with only the one side then the noise comes from that side(obviously)...

if fate decides a rebuild, would it be cheaper to just get bilsteins?

and any suggestions where to get tein's rebuilt in sydney (or australia!)

thanks

dan

www.bilstein.com.au is the best place to get it done.

It's not cheaper to get a whole new suspension set up.

Bilsteins cost $250 per corner (x4 = $1000) and then its around $400 to put them in.

im guessing that means yeh theyre fooked? and im fooked because its not cheap to rebuild?

Well if you have no money to fix it up then yes, you're stuffed. :headspin:

You could go for a cheaper set of replacement shocks. I think Aussie made ones like Pedders will be cheaper.

Do you have any pics of your car?, MAYBE (i'm just guessing) that its the wheels you have MIGHT have the wrong offset and are sitting outside the guard so when you go over a bump, the wheels actually hit the wheel arch (makes a similar sound), i guess it doesn't hurt to look at every possibility (when i had the wrong offset wheels on my car, the wheel were actually sitting out of the guard a bit) so when i travel on VERY bumpy road it use to hit and make a very annoying sound.

yeh thats the thing, it came with these teins from the dealer...

its ok, its in the shop now,

its gonna get worked!

new rotors, pads, caliper rebuild, braided lines, fluid etc, all round.

new daikin HD clutch and all bits and pieces that go with it.

new bilsteins etc (not 100% sure what will need to be done here yet)

full check over and service.

all in all its gonna be an expensive exercise, but most definately worth it.

hopefully i'll just forward the bill onto the dealership...

(doubt that will work though)

dan

The dealer has a responsibility to sell you a car in working order. If the clutch failed as soon as you bought it, it is their problem to have it fixed and they are legally bound to do so as long as the car was not sold on the agreement of a rooted clutch. You should have gone to them first thing rather than paying yourself to have it fixed. I doubt forwarding the bill onto them will make them pay it.

My 2 cents....