SAU Community

Car will not start but makes strange clicking noise - HELP

EDIT 3/8/05: Problem fixed for now - see post 12 below.

Been having a bad run with the line,

Had a minor bingle about 2 weeks ago, car was running fine after (only front bumper was rooted) so the car was sitting in my garage and not started for 1 1/2 weeks. Go to start it yesterday and battery was dead, no prob, it was on the way out for a while and I already had a new one. So I replace the battery and go to start it and when I hold the key in the start position I get this loud Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, noise at about 5 Hz, comming from the somewhere up front. The motor does not turn over at all.

When I hold start the voltage drops considerably - I know the battery is good, besides I also tried to start the car with the car jumpered to another running car.

All this sounds like a rooted starter motor to me, but before I spend craploads on a mechanic trying to find out what is wrong - has anyone had a similar problem? Does anyone know what it couls be?

Any help greatly appreciated.

i had the same problem iwth mine when i imported the r32. i thought it was the alternator but when i took it to the auto electrican he found out the it was some weird fuse ive never heard of before or something. if i were you i would take it to the auto electrician. get him to ring you once he knows what the problem is then you can decide from there. im a cheap arse and if it was the alternator i would have bought a second hand one instead of paying a shitload for a new one

mine does that every so often, i just thought there wasn't enougfh power to run the starter motor properly and sounded like a clutch like device was clicking away, dunno, a quick push and off we went, starts properly now

It seems to be a problem in the starter circuitry. When I had that problem, my mech re-wired the starter solenoid so it got power direct from the battery (used the factory trigger wire to switch a relay). Haven't had a problem since.

I have had the same issue, but mine did it also when there was plenty of voltage (seen from PFC). I always figured the starter motor was not engauged right. All I do to fix the issue is move the car a little while in gear the the problem goes away.

I dont know if I am right with my theory but it works for me...

I thought of doing that but then I thought that the startor mortor is not engaged unless it is being cranked. I'll give it a go if it worked for you.

I have had the same issue, but mine did it also when there was plenty of voltage (seen from PFC). I always figured the starter motor was not engauged right. All I do to fix the issue is move the car a little while in gear the the problem goes away.

Mine does the exact same thing.. a couple of times a week I have to give it a bit of a clutch start..

That clicking noise is the noise that it will make when the battery cannot supply enough CCA to the starter motor (Cold Cranking Amps). It makes this when enough voltage is present to turn the vehicles circuitry on but not enough to crank the motor. Check your battery voltage and then if that doesnt work get your wiring to your starter motor checked. If the starter motor was rooted I doubt it would even make a clicking noise.

I seem to have fixed the problem, I just played around with the power connections to the starter motor and gave them a quick cleen - have not had a problem since (3 days later).

Thanks all for your help, if this fourm did not exist I may have payed $200 for someone in a workshop to do the same thing.

Cheers,

Pat.

• 3 weeks later...