SAU Community

R33 GTST vs XR6 Turbo

True that. What other car can get another 40-50 rwkw with a $1000 tune? Cam, springs, exhaust and you're looking at 300 rwkw for about 4 grand.

And with awesome economy still because of the tune. I'm talking 10 litres/100 km.

And the aftermarket support is massive and growing. Twin turbo kits, 427 strokers, the list goes on. I mean CAPA sell a 4 grand supercharging kit. What other engine boasts that? (And dont bother talking about the CRS kits for the holden V6, they arent worth a pinch of shit)

Edited by Sathanas

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol neither are centrifugal superchargers either :)

positive displacement or turbo all the way... the gen3 needs it to really wake it up, as its not the torqueiest 5.7L around, tho the edit does help it a lot.

turbo kits are still a bit exotic and therefore have very APS like prices... but things are only getting cheaper and cheaper these days... and considering a lot of these turbo kits retain the standard fuel system and just use an edit, maybe upgraded MAP sensor...

hardest part is the custom headers... GT42's are dirt cheap these days and would work niiiiiiiceeee on a LS1 :D

Mmm centrifugal chargers are wanna be superchargers. But roots style blowers are still expensive. You seen that double charged LS1 with a centrifugal pumping air into an Eaton? Now thats an engine!

I'd wonder how horsepower heros will go this year? Will it be taken out by Eddie Tassone's boost spiking cheat machine, or will an LS1 stand up and finally kick the ancient Holden 5 litre off the podium?

you get even better idle quality, drivability etc etc with the edit over a unichip. apparently APS are working on their own edit, dont know if thats ready or not yet tho. but unichips are no comparison to the edit

the 9k dosnt include the engineers cert tho, that costs extra but it is available AFAIK.

personally if (when :cheers: ) i have an XR6 i would take it to HPF in dandenong

Do you know this, or are you just quoting the crap you hear on the XR6Turbo forums ??

Personally i have no driveability nor idle quality issues with my unichip on my XR6 !!!

Do you know this, or are you just quoting the crap you hear on the XR6Turbo forums ??

Personally i have no driveability nor idle quality issues with my unichip on my XR6 !!!

lol, im sure the unichip is fine for drivability and idle etc... and it proved its power potential long ago, but it will never be "better" than an edit, so long as the tuner knows what they are doing... just had to mention that when others suggested the unichip might be a superior product just because APS charge a lot for it (and they have the right to)

if you have ever had a close up look at APS's exhaust, its a work of art... but the fact is, its just not necessary. jap cars & ls1's get a huge power bonus from freeing up the exhaust restriction, but on a XR6T its just not there.. .the stock dump pipe is similar to most aftermarket items fitted to other turbos, and the rest of the exhaust is of a fairly decent size...

260rwkw with just an edit (or unichip) valve springs and injectors says it all

and nizpro make a good 330rwkw from their stage2 (or is it 3?) and that still uses the stock exhaust

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Some time ago I promised you xr6 turbo vs gtst dyno graph in shootout mode.

Well we had a our SAU Vic dyno day on saturday and my friend brought his xr6 turbo along. We dynoed both our cars with the same shootout mode settings and same dyno, just the cars probably 10 minutes apart at the start of the day.

http://members.dodo.com.au/paul/pics/dyno/xr6t-vs-33gtst.jpg

-=- Cars -=-

Red: Xr6 Turbo 6 Speed Manual - Mark II

Green: R33 Skyline GTST 5 Speed Manual - Series II

-=- Mods -=-

Red: Stock Standard, 30,000k's on the clock

Green: PowerFC, FMIC, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, 3" split dump, HKS EV3 @ 0.84bar, pod filter with poor exhaust heat shield

The dyno shows the max power at 181rwkw which is what I made but you can see the xr6turbo tops out at 211rwkw. The xr6turbo basically holds power all over my car all the way through and just keeps making more power in the top end. The run for the xr6t was done in 4th gear, we tried 5th as well (made 205rwkw) and we checked agianst the ford forums and they've said 4th gear is correct to run it in as we weren't sure.

So all in all, the xr6 turbo kicks ass :D

This is probably a silly question, but was the XR6 turbo actually an F6 Typhoon perhaps?

That's bugger all drivetrain loss for a 240 flywheel kw motor

Unless they're playing silly buggers with numbers like a few certain Japanese manufacturers have been known to do :D

But that being said...... all motors are not created equal

I've seen a lot of dyno graphs of XR6 turbos running up 185-195rwkw dead stock, but then again I've seen a near standard series 2 R33 run up 170 at the wheels as well

ive never seen a 185kw stock r33 gtst. mine stock made 140rwkw and ive seen plently stockers do about the same, never any higher. the the xr6turbo was a standard mark II turbo, not typhoon or anything.

we should have plotted torque as well, it would have had heaps more

yeah it would run quiet nice with it leaned out a little

That does seem a little high(210rwkw) did they strap it down or at least put wieght over the rear. We usually see between 185kw-200kw. I tuned a typhoon the other day 330rwkw at about 15psi and about 920N.m of torque at 4400 rpm.

That does seem a little high(210rwkw) did they strap it down or at least put wieght over the rear.  We usually see between 185kw-200kw.  I tuned a typhoon the other day 330rwkw at about 15psi and about 920N.m of torque at 4400 rpm.

ye gads

Stock for stock, my R33 GTSt vs my old mans XR6t was pretty close, i'd get him off the line and he'd pass me at 1/2 track. He's now at 330rwkw and running 11sec passes while im waiting to finish my build so i can kick his @rse.

11sec XR6t video

Warming his tires (video)

Edited by B33st

Hey guys,

Some time ago I promised you xr6 turbo vs gtst dyno graph in shootout mode.

Well we had a our SAU Vic dyno day on saturday and my friend brought his xr6 turbo along. We dynoed both our cars with the same shootout mode settings and same dyno, just the cars probably 10 minutes apart at the start of the day.

http://members.dodo.com.au/paul/pics/dyno/xr6t-vs-33gtst.jpg

-=- Cars -=-

Red: Xr6 Turbo 6 Speed Manual - Mark II

Green: R33 Skyline GTST 5 Speed Manual - Series II

-=- Mods -=-

Red: Stock Standard, 30,000k's on the clock

Green: PowerFC, FMIC, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust, 3" split dump, HKS EV3 @ 0.84bar, pod filter with poor exhaust heat shield

The dyno shows the max power at 181rwkw which is what I made but you can see the xr6turbo tops out at 211rwkw. The xr6turbo basically holds power all over my car  all the way through and just keeps making more power in the top end. The run for the xr6t was done in 4th gear, we tried 5th as well (made 205rwkw) and we checked agianst the ford forums and they've said 4th gear is correct to run it in as we weren't sure.

So all in all, the xr6 turbo kicks ass :)

Isn't it a bit suss that the ambient temp and Inlet temps are exactly the same?

I would have thought that even with a good CAI and partition that the Inlet temps would still be a fair bit higher than ambient....

Stock for stock, my R33 GTSt vs my old mans XR6t was pretty close, i'd get him off the line and he'd pass me at 1/2 track.  He's now at 330rwkw and running 11sec passes while im waiting to finish my build so i can kick his @rse.

11sec XR6t video

Warming his tires (video)

really wanna see these vids, but the download link just opens a page of jibberish ?

check out full boost. geea has 1 of, if not the, fastest XR6T's in australia (on street rubber) 10.77 i think it is. then there's the guy running drag slicks and got a 10.33 so geea obviously has massive potential with drag slicks.

i used to be on the same forum as geea...almost landed a cruise in his beast:P