SAU Community

R33 GTST vs XR6 Turbo

Huh, it's one of those comparisons. Look it's a little bit ungratefull lcomparing these two cars. Even though skyline is better built car despite 10 year gap it6 still is way better built and overally stronger car. Having said that a lot will depend on the driver, but power to power XR6T will eventually prevail. We also need to look in the price defference, you can get a descent sky for say about 17ks as opposed to 35ks for XR.How bout we use the rest of the money and modd the sky and then compare he, he,he :) . No seriously it would make more sence comparing r34 gtt to xr6 :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys, i'm a big ford fan and always have been

good to see you guys on this forum are mature about topics like this, and not just let your bias to skylines and imports in general blind you to what is a great car in the XR6T

at the end of the day, in the ford v holden matchup, it seems that holden do go for the straight line figure that impresses the buyers, and so they have a greater following, whereas ford seem to go for the overall package rather than straight line speed alone.

that is why they call it a performance car after all. ford comes with the better suspension over the holden, better ride, better handling etc...

a perfect example of this is the GT. they brang it out with 290KW instead of putting it to the easily achieveable 300kw. but they make it handle better etc, so that its more of an all round performance car, that can be driven daily. rather than a car that can go fast in a straight line

if you read the comparos that magazines like motor and wheels do, they almost always state that the holdens "drive better on paper...there's no bumps" lol.

fords suspension set up also adds to the weight. and the engine itself doesnt help in that area. If the BA could drop 100kg, i think it would be an ENTIRELY different ball game with ford V holden.

the fact that an R33 can be compared to a car so much newer than it is a great thing. it shows how good it was in its time, and still is.

I cant wait till I find the 1 that i buy!

also, as for the typhoon, the times they recorded in the mags were poor, but they noted that the thing has so much torque, that they got a shit load of wheel spin. replace the factory rubber and I think you'll find the times would drop dramatically.

as for the cheaper XR6T vs its older brother the XR8, the XR8 comes out of the factory with a quicker 1/4 time (it'd have to, considering it costs more) but bang for buck the XR6T will take it no dramas. a lot of XR8 vs XR6T purchases will come down to personal preference anyway. some guys (mostly the older) will always want that V8 rumble, and then there's the guys that just love the turbos. i love em both, so it'd be a hard choice if i was in the market for 1...but for now, i'll take an R33 GTS-T :D

• 4 weeks later...

"I beat an xr6 turbo in my r32 gts t easily. What do you guys say about that?

Oh and the limits to modifying an xr6 is so tight "

Ok i joined this forum just to say something about this quote.

I'm a devout Holden man myself, through and through, but i must say i respect the Ford 4 litre six. With the POSSIBLE exception of the 2JZ, i have to say the Ford 4 litre has the highest potential for power of any straight six in the world. This, my skyline loving friends includes the almighty RB26.

I'm sure most of you have heard of a little performance company called "Nismo". Well they managed, with little trouble, to evoke 1000 hp out of a 4 litre. They stopped there because the torque kept demolishing any gearbox they could throw at it.

And they sell this 1000 hp engine in a package for about 40 grand.

Not sure if these plans are still going ahead, but it was to be installed into a drag chassis capable of low 7's/high 6's.

Oh and as for a R33 gts-t vs a xr6-t, well i myself have bourne witness to this event, and trust me, the R33 stands no chance :P

well.. my r33 munches xr6t's.. but im running 14psi and they would be on like.. 7? or there abouts.. if they bumped up the boost it would be COMPLTELEY different as the torque this thing creates is unreal.. like they say.. turbos are torque multipliers.. also the nizpro?? i think it is engine they developed for the 4l was hammering out like 1050hp engine and they did the thing where it is 135% of bathurst or some biz and they opened it up to look at the internals.. still brand new.. food for thought..

To Sathanas

And I bet ford australia chucked 700hp on an xrt and the gearboxes blew.

Its not all about power also holden man. Ever heard of weight power ratio?

Have you heard about w e i g h t , p o w e r , r a t i o ?

make most p o w e r while keeping w e i g h t down.

Holden must heed this for the love of god

Edited by Are_thirty_two

All good points. But seriously, the XR6-T weighs 1690 kilos. Not sure how much the Skyline weighs, but taking its power to be 186 vs 240.

The power-weight ration of the XR6-T is about 7.4:1. For the skyline to haave the same it would have to weigh 1376 kilos.

And the the torque comes in. 296 vs 450. Quite a difference. And everyone knows that torque wins duels, not outright power.

And mumbo #5, i didnt quite get all that you said. Something about Bathurst and 135%.

And Nizpro had to limit the torque output of their engine because it DID keep blowing gearboxes.

Big lard arsed post in an attempt to conclude this thread.

Since when do the XR6T's weigh 1690kg's..

Their curb weight is in fact ~3900lbs, thats 1769kg's.

XR6T 1769kg/240fwkw = 7.37kg's per kw.

R32 GTR 1480kg/230fwkw = 6.43kg's per kw

R32 GTST 1320kg/160fwkw = 8.25kg's per kw

R33 GTR 1530kg/230fwkw = 6.65kg's per kw

R33 GTST 1390kg/187fwkw = 7.43kg's per kw

R34 GTR 1540kg/230fwkw = 6.69kg's per kw

The little old RB26 actually makes 230fwkw, not the 206kw stated to adhear to the gentlemans agreement.

As you can see it is all very close, the xr6t does have a slight advantage over the stock R33 GTST. The R32 GTST, well its long behind lol.

What will determine how well the xr6t goes against the r33 gtst is the how well sorted the gearing is, and how well power holds up past peak power. If it simply drops off hard this is not good for the xr6t.

A good example of torque vs well sorted gearing is the good ol EL falcon vs the VS commodore, the VS kills it the EL and feels as if it has much more torque when in fact it doesn't.

Obviously the GTR's have a power to weight and traction advantage over the XR6T.

Now lets look at some modified rwkw figures.

XR6T 1769kg/327rwkw = 5.4kg's per rwkw

R33 GTR 1530kg/282rwkw = 5.4kg's per rwkw

R33 GTST 1390kg/257rwkw = 5.4kg's per rwkw.

A very mildly modified R33 GTST, fmic, exhaust, ecu and 11pounds of boost will see ~200rwkw. Thats a 6.95kg's per rwkw.

An xr6t requires 252rwkw for the same power to weight.

The XR6T does have more potential to make power than the r33 gtst but not necessarily have the potential to run quicker 1/4 times.

I'm sure you get what I am getting at, there's more to accelerating quick than outright brute power and torque.

Edited by Cubes

Big lard arsed post in an attempt to conclude this thread.

Since when do the XR6T's weigh 1690kg's..

Their curb weight is in fact ~3900lbs, thats 1769kg's.

XR6T 1769kg/240fwkw = 7.37kg's per kw.

R32 GTR 1480kg/230fwkw = 6.43kg's per kw

R32 GTST 1320kg/160fwkw = 8.25kg's per kw

R33 GTR 1530kg/230fwkw = 6.65kg's per kw

R33 GTST 1390kg/187fwkw = 7.43kg's per kw

R34 GTR 1540kg/230fwkw = 6.69kg's per kw

The little old RB26 actually makes 230fwkw, not the 206kw stated to adhear to the gentlemans agreement.

As you can see it is all very close, the xr6t does have a slight advantage over the stock R33 GTST. The R32 GTST, well its long behind lol.

What will determine how well the xr6t goes against the r33 gtst is the how well sorted the gearing is, and how well power holds up past peak power. If it simply drops off hard this is not good for the xr6t.

A good example of torque vs well sorted gearing is the good ol EL falcon vs the VS commodore, the VS kills it the EL and feels as if it has much more torque when in fact it doesn't.

Obviously the GTR's have a power to weight and traction advantage over the XR6T.

Now lets look at some modified rwkw figures.

XR6T 1769kg/327rwkw = 5.4kg's per rwkw

R33 GTR 1530kg/282rwkw = 5.4kg's per rwkw

R33 GTST 1390kg/257rwkw = 5.4kg's per rwkw.

A very mildly modified R33 GTST, fmic, exhaust, ecu and 11pounds of boost will see ~200rwkw. Thats a 6.95kg's per rwkw.

The XR6T does have more potential to make power than the r33 gtst but not necessarily have the potential to run quicker 1/4 times.

I'm sure you get what I am getting at, there's more to accelerating quick than outright brute power and torque.

Very good post mate thats the best one I have seen in one of these what vs what Theads. Facts are what I like to see not opinions.

Edited by Munna

didnt read this last page thourogly, just scanned over, seen something about comparing Zr8 to XR6T...in all tests and reviews i have seen including hard facts i.e. 1/4 mile, 1-100kmph the XR6T has come out ever so slightly on top. This is using same driver in each car. anyways towards an earlier post about stock or modded XR6 in my opinion most people who buy them are wealthy business men who want a bit of power and arent nescisarilly car enthusiasts who would mod theyre car. but yeha there will be the occasional rev head :P

didnt read this last page thourogly, just scanned over, seen something about comparing Zr8 to XR6T...in all tests and reviews i have seen including hard facts i.e. 1/4 mile, 1-100kmph the XR6T has come out ever so slightly on top. This is using same driver in each car. anyways towards an earlier post about stock or modded XR6 in my opinion most people who buy them are wealthy business men who want a bit of power and arent nescisarilly car enthusiasts who would mod theyre car. but yeha there will be the occasional rev head :P

I wouldn't agree that most of them are wealthy business man. Depends what you define as wealthy I guess. If I was wealthy I'd get a porsche/m3/amg. Those cars have been around for awhile and they're not that expensive on the 2nd hand market.

Edited by Vuster

I wouldn't agree that most of them are wealthy business man. Depends what you define as wealthy I guess. If I was wealthy I'd get a porsche/m3/amg. Those cars have been around for awhile and they're not that expensive on the 2nd hand market.

i dont mean ultra rich i just mean "secure". someone on $60k a year (average income yeah ?) couldnt really afford an XR6t

bare in mind that to make 250rwkw in a XR6 all you need is an edit.. still stock cooler, exhaust, etc

that is on the limit of the injectors and valve springs tho, need to upgrade those to go further

for edit, valve springs and bigger injectors is about $2500-3000 for a drive in drive out service with 3 maps supplied (usually stock, fast & octane-booster)

upgrade to a bigger/better fmic and your well into the 300rwkw club

i want one

i dont mean ultra rich i just mean "secure". someone on $60k a year (average income yeah ?) couldnt really afford an XR6t

a guy i know bought one late last year, he earns 65k :O

they arent thaaaaaat expencive... 45k+orc brand new for a sedan, 40k+orc for a ute...

im sure there are plenty of people earning less than $60k driving around in R34 GT-T's or R32/R33 GTR's... but that doesnt mean they can afford to either :lol: