SAU Community

Rb20 Timing Problem

OnDubz

Hey i have a r32 4 door turbz, and lately i have noticed that it doesnt accelerate through the upper end of the tacho (4,000+) as fast as it should and sometimes it would just no go past 4500 revs in gears. It felt like the engine was just out of puff. You could feel the torque from about 3-4000 but torque and power would just die off. So i adjusted the timing and it went alot better (no pinging), but after about 5 minutes you could notice that the proformance had slightly droped off. And the next day the car would go back to its slugish ways. So the next day timing was again adjusted but day or two after it would again be back to it slow state. WTF is going on :P ? Is the ecu retarding it self?

Only mods on the car is full 3" exhaust. Fuel filter and fuel pump catchment was replaced 1000kms ago, oil and oil filter still failry fresh, and spark plugs arent too bad either.

Any advice would be helpful, Thanx :unsure:

Your going have to be more specific,

1. Is it blowing fuel smoke?

2. Is there a lean pop when it gets to this point where it dies off?

3. Is it pinging before 4000rpm?

4. Is the timing staying where you set it?

5. Are all the IC piping/hoses tight?

1. Nah its not blowing smoke

2. wot is a lean pop?

3. nah its not pinging throughout the rev range

4. i cant tell if the timing is stayind where i set it at. I know the crank angle sesor isnt moving that for sure, but cause i do the timing by trial and error (adjustd it, drive it, adjust it again). i cant tell. I should invest in a timing gun

5. yea i checked that, and all pipes are tight

How do u go about adjusting timing with a timing gun, i read somewhere you need to take apart the coil packs or something. Or theres some white wire at the back near the firewall

thanx

ive been having the same problems with my r32 i found the afm was dirty cleaned and re tested seems to be better but the problem is still there am working on finding this problem as im about to go on a dyno day and i dont want this problem to occure will keep trying to sorce it but who knows where it will end up

Have you checked that your cat isnt falling apart inside? Or are you running no cat? Your car can go shit not just from intake issues but also exhaust restrictions. My car stopped revving past 4 and really struggled... then the next minute it shat the guts of the cat out my rear can :P

JK

Gents,

I heard several years ago of an instance where an RB/SR powered vehicle was on the dyno and the power level kept changing. After an exhaustive search and much hair pulling it was discovered the key in the cam which locates the CAS had broken causing the timing to constantly change.

I would like to think this is an extremely rare problem but for the sake of 10mins it is probably worth checking. Inspect the CAS key and the cam key.

To check if the above theory has any merit you can adjust the CAS to adjust the timing and confirm the setting with a timing light. Take the car for a run and check the timing again when it starts playing up.

Some food for thought.

Cheers