SAU Community

Defects And Infringment Fines

Ok, i've recently been defected for my car and was told i was going to get the fines sent by mail.

They arrived today,Not happy!.

I recieved a total of 4 fines

1.DEFECTIVE VEHICAL (INTERCOOLER)_ $75

2.DEFECTIVE VEHICAL (POD FILTER)_ $75

3.DEFECTIVE HEADLIGHT_ $75

4.INEFFICENT SILENCER_ $125

Ok the head lights are my bad.

For numbers one and two, arent they both the same? As in offence under DEFECTIVE VEHICAL code (9631) cause they both have the same code. I Should have only recieved one! for the both. Or can they do that? Heck, they should of went all out and add the DEFECTIVE VEHICAL (BOF.WASTEGATE.CATCHTANK.RIDEHEIGHT.ect...) Get my drift? Why two out of a list?.

And now for the last #4. What on earth made them think was too loud? They didnt do a reading on my car nor even tell me to rev it up. For a matter of fact i have the apexi ecv(silenecer) and it was closed shut.(really quiet)

Is there anything i can do about these fines?. 1,2,3 are understanding but 4. eyeeee dunnooooo.

Any info on beating fines for what i dont deserve would help

Thanks.. and please no comments about JUST COP IT LIKE A MAN BRO.

Thanks again.

Dude, i never knew how the system really works. But i got one. Not too big, Not over hanging its sweet behind the bar. But its an Intercooler(fmic)

Oh just to add, im getting my car Engineer'd, is this worth it? or will i still get slap'd with defects?

yeah nah i got told that even if you have an engineers certificate the cops can still defect you on the grounds of what they think is "defective", thats bs if you ask me, if you have a certificate from the rta or whatever to say its legally modified they shouldnt still be able to defect you, its unfair and a waste of time in getting the certificate in the first place.

What was wrong with the headlights? Was it because you had the xenons in there instead of the normal halogens?

Just checking this one as I have that upgrade too...

yeah i know what defects are like i got done a while ago for my exhaust (car was parked but because it was not standard and the copper cauld fit his shoe up the tip i got defected) bov, air filter, and cooler. i fixed the problem, got it engeneered. but hear in coffs harbour be carefull as there is a certain cop who is on a power trip and will defect for anything right down to no H pattern on gear knobs. even a standard skyline gear knob that the H pattern has worn off.

you got of light with the fines as ive heard of defects $200 fine + each item and know the new rules you also loose points (NSW), anyway get it engeneered but you may have to go to EPA to get the cooler done + exhaust. Good luck.

The one question I have with engineering certs.

When you upgrade your car again in the future, will the cert be voided? Wouldn't this just mean you'll need to get it engineered each time you mod?

I ask this as most mods will affect the car in more than one place... hence making it legal/illegal

Apparently so... well in the case of Japanese xenons anyway. Apparently to comply with Australian standards, you need to have an "auto leveling device" fitted to the lights - something that the Japanese do not have.

Hence illegal without the second half of the mod.

That half costs just as much as the lights, not worth it!

You have to be on your toes when they get you. For sure something can be done. It's getting out of hand!

I had a mate recently get a yellow happy sticker and once the cop opened his bonnet he just laughed and said "I've got no idea what I'm doing here mate so I'm just going to give you a major" This is what I'm saying. Not many cops actually have any idea what they're looking for when they open the bonnet. Another friend got done for having a stock intercooler!! It's just getting ridiculous.

If I were you, write a letter to the Police Ombudsman. Stating your situation, and the fact that you believe the Policeman at the time made a wrong judgment in relation to your exhaust (of course test it before you make these accusations) But they need to know!

We need to stand up for what we poured our heart and souls into. We aren't menace's, we are merely new age enthusiasts.

im glad i live in wa cuz they just write what they "THINK" is defective you take it over pits then they tell you what needs to be done to approv the road worthyness, eg, permits for bovs, fmic, zorst, and so on and so forth, oh and the pits pick on anything even if its a little worn like a tyre rod mine was worn they said replace it!!! just to get it back on the road!!! its all a money scam i think!!! cuz i see more cars that arnt road worthy and they pick on people with money!!!

Here in Qld I think the cops are pretty good compared to the ones I've met in NSW but they still do the law thing. On the same night in two different places one member was defected for a carbon bonnet while I was warned for potential liability that my carbon bonnet could cause. So I found an engineer to explain the facts for me. Its a very grey area stating a case of a car that he was travelling in getting defected for things that he had passed and getting off these fines at an enormous cost in time for him and driver and court costs even though he won. It seems to me that if a cop doesn't like you they have the power and the right to FLICK you around as much as the law allows.

My only conclusion is don't give them a reason to dislike you, drive responsibly and take care of your ride, and if you wanna give it some stick do it where its safe, like the track, burnout comps or drift.

My 2c

yeah nah i got told that even if you have an engineers certificate the cops can still defect you on the grounds of what they think is "defective", thats bs if you ask me, if you have a certificate from the rta or whatever to say its legally modified they shouldnt still be able to defect you, its unfair and a waste of time in getting the certificate in the first place.

Gotta agree on that.You juat cant justify why they do what they do somtimes.The Gov has it's own set of rules to contradict itself.

Why should we cop an infringement for a certified vehicle with an engineers cert,to say that it is mod legal,only then to still get fined and have to contest it in court and win.

to my understanding, isnt modding a car at all indeed illegal, to modify or change the car from factory specifications, even a catback exhaust, if even well below the db can be defected. I think it all depends on the cop. And pretty much unless your car is stock, if a cop pulls you over todo a yellow sticker check, you will most likely get one. Doesnt matter on what, if they want to, they will slap one on. There are many stupid rules, windscreen pitted (ey shit happens, day to day driving), no mudflaps (wtf :s) and just stupid things.

All you can really do is bend over for them.

Just dont be smart, and you may get off, and if you do get a yellow sticker, find out what exactly is wrong with the car, and fix it. I know when modifying my r33, ill be making sure its within legal requirements.

Things like one intake mod, well theres my fmic.

But then again, things change from state to state. Stupid, dont know why.

last night was pulled over cars engeneered no probs but they spotted udjustable boost controler but didnt fine me and want me to get emissions test done on cooler, i think it totally depends on what copper you get when in this situation.

they all have there own rules and try and make new rules up.