SAU Community

I just bought a new alarm system for my manual r33, it contains remote start amoung other features and i was just wondering if anyone knew whether this was legal to install, and if not is there any way to make it legal?? thanx

I think there's somewhere stated in the law (different from state to state) that you're not suppose to leave a car engine running unattended. Therefore it's the ground for considering remote start as illegal equipment.

In a manual car you gotta be careful not to trigger it when the car is in gear otherwise it'll jump forward. It's a lot safer on automatic cars because autos can't be started when the gear selector is in any positions except P (Park) and N (Neutral).

I'm quite sure this is the case as rs73 said in Victoria anyway. It's the same reason why you aren't supposed to have turbo timers. Mind you, I have never heard of anyone being done for having either a remote starter or turbo timer so you could probably get away with it. But at the end of the day it's probably no huge loss to start your car before you get to it unless you want to impress your mates.. One of my friends has it and I keep starting his car in class, so he has to excuse himself and go to the carpark and turn it off again.. lol

lol...i have the remote start option in my alarm as well..if i remote start the car, there is a timer in it...i think it is set to 1min, if i don't stick my key in, the engine will turn off....how does the remote start work on your cars guys??care to share?

Well there arent any ADR approved remote start alarms in australia even though most of them are better than the low grade crappy ones most people put in there cars. So if your car gets stolen its by by to insurance

Well there arent any ADR approved remote start alarms in australia even though most of them are better than the low grade crappy ones most people put in there cars. So if your car gets stolen its by by to insurance

Beg to differ...

I sell the Viper 791xv with remote start system. This alarm is ADR approved!!!

Remote start is illegal to use in Australia, as are turbo timers. You cannot leave a vehicle running without a security device (eg. key)

Best to get a neutral sensor switch if you are installing in a manual car. These are around $50 from Autobarn.

cheers,

Greg Kruse - GK Technologies

www.gktech.com.au