SAU Community

Blank Dvds

Anakha

Hey guys, this has probably been through here before; but I was hoping for some opinions...

I'm getting back into 'backing up' my DVD collection, except I can't decide what blank DVDs to get. When I search for this on google or something - and get into the geek forums (no insult intended :(), there is so much info and different opinions, and soo many things I can't quite understand....

Just hoping if any had any preferences for a Sony DVD writer... looking for plus DVDs.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can use either plus or minus DVD's. From what I've heard, I think the only difference is the method that the DVD burner uses to record the DVD.

I've used the minus ones before to make copies of some footage I recorded without any problems.

Hey guys, this has probably been through here before; but I was hoping for some opinions...

I'm getting back into 'backing up' my DVD collection, except I can't decide what blank DVDs to get.  When I search for this on google or something - and get into the geek forums (no insult intended :rolleyes:), there is so much info and different opinions, and soo many things I can't quite understand....

Just hoping if any had any preferences for a Sony DVD writer... looking for plus DVDs.

Avoid the RITEKs at any cost... ive backed up a few hundred of my DVDs with PRINCOs which are reasonable (about 12 dorra a 50pk and theyre printable) and started using RITEKs cause they were meant to be better (also printable) and found theyre 10x worse.

RITEKs are good for burning but u can never copy the DVD u just backed up onto that bloody disk again... always gets a write error... stupid gay arse disk... ive got 200 DVDs which can now never be BACKED UP again.

Inark:

I've been using Ritek's (G04+G05) for the past ~2yrs (well over 500 disc's) for backing up many different type of things. My housemate (BIL) has only ever used the Princo's.

Now without using any type of software utilty to test the actual DVD (errors, etc etc) the only difference i've found between the Ritek and Princo's is that my Ritek's will play in absolutely any DVD Player you put them in. The Princo's will play in most, but not all DVD Players.

I'm happy to pay a little bit extra for the better brand so the only brand/type of disc I use is Ritek G04/G05 (4x/8x).

1 brand I would never touch is Laser *shivers*

Edit: Actually since replacing my Sony DRU512a (4x) with my LiteOn SOHW-1673S I do get many errors with trying to playback or decrypt DVD's on my PC.

Edit2: I just burned the exact same .iso image file onto a Ritek G04 and a Princo. The Ritek G05 gives read errors in DVD Decrypter and the Princo reads fine.

Princos are better than Ritek and are ok for DVD movies. Occasionally you will get a bad batch with a few duds but I'd expect that with most brands. One of the big factors is what type of dvd burner and dvd players you have. What works great in some drives works poorly in others. Not a very clear cut issue unfortunately. If you really want to ensure something is going to work 100% you are better off paying the extra for better name discs; sony etc.

Inark:

I've been using Ritek's (G04+G05) for the past ~2yrs (well over 500 disc's) for backing up many different type of things. My housemate (BIL) has only ever used the Princo's.

Now without using any type of software utilty to test the actual DVD (errors, etc etc) the only difference i've found between the Ritek and Princo's is that my Ritek's will play in absolutely any DVD Player you put them in. The Princo's will play in most, but not all DVD Players.

I'm happy to pay a little bit extra for the better brand so the only brand/type of disc I use is Ritek G04/G05 (4x/8x).

1 brand I would never touch is Laser *shivers*

Edit: Actually since replacing my Sony DRU512a (4x) with my LiteOn SOHW-1673S I do get many errors with trying to playback or decrypt DVD's on my PC.

Edit2: I just burned the exact same .iso image file onto a Ritek G04 and a Princo. The Ritek G05 gives read errors in DVD Decrypter and the Princo reads fine.

edit2 is exacty what im talking about :P its not playing back where the issues come in its when you try and decrypt or shrink the same movie u burnt onto the ritek media... error error :D which means if something happens to that disk you cant copy it again :P I havent found away around copying from RITEKs and ive used about 10 different programs.

Princos are better than Ritek and are ok for DVD movies. Occasionally you will get a bad batch with a few duds but I'd expect that with most brands. One of the big factors is what type of dvd burner and dvd players you have. What works great in some drives works poorly in others. Not a very clear cut issue unfortunately. If you really want to ensure something is going to work 100% you are better off paying the extra for better name discs; sony etc.

Yeah, Sony Dual Layer (got it for cheap) DRU-710A, does +/- R/RW and + R Dual layer. Though I'm only interested in DVD+Rs at the mo...

I know about the difference between drives, I can't see why everything can't just be universal *groan*, but hey, just try our best right....

it cracks me up how much DVD writers are now... its great lol

even when something new and fandangaly comes out u can get em for like 100 haha like my dual layer... got it when they were first released... only cost me 110 for the 12x.... now u can get 16x for like 50 haha

Its when you try and decrypt or shrink the same movie u burnt onto the ritek media... error error :unsure:
I've found it's generally the "bup" files giving me the errors. The 'bup' files are just backups of the "ifo" files. Maybe it's possible to replace the corrupt bup's with renamed ifo's (as bup's) and then re-burn. I'll try it out later on...

My BIL has been using Princo's since the day he got his DVD-RW (about a year ago). He's never once complained about them and never had issues playing Princo's that were burn't ages ago (that's the problem many people complain about with the Princo's, the dye doesn't last very long before it becomes unreadable).

I hate the brand princo, but I don't want to spend $60+ for a 50pk of Taiyo Yuden's from Melbourne :P

Inark I think I may have just found the problem with these DVD-R's i've been using. They weren't genuine "Ritek G04" but instead were "RiMedia - Ritek G04" which is the cheaper division of the Ritek company. I didn't realise this until I opened my 3rd 50pk of these dvd's (bought in bulk ages ago because I only had a 4x dvd burner and couldn't get any genuine Ritek G04's from my local pc shop).

Have you been using Ritek G04/05 or RiMedia's?

I just went and bought some Verbatim (MCC04) dvd+r's just to see what the quality of these were like (been recommended 'anything' verbatim by many other people). They were $25/25pk which is bloody expensive compared to what I normally pay but just wanted to see what the quality was like.

I did a 'disc quality' scan in Nero CD/DVD Speed and these are my results:

RiMedia/Ritek G04 - Rating: 35

PI Errors

Avg: 35.90

Max: 361

Total: 482321

PI Failures

Avg: 0.35

Max: 16

Total: 5068

Princo - Rating: 90

PI Errors

Avg: 16.30

Max: 106

Total: 215446

PI Failures

Avg: 0.35

Max: 4

Total: 6810

Verbatim MCC04 - Rating: 95

PI Errors

Avg: 0.96

Max: 9

Total: 6479

PI Failures

Avg: 0.01

Max: 2

Total: 96

I sell PRINCO media in our shop + some other random brands.

-R is the most popular I have found ( looking at the last 6 months of sales )

Ive been a PRINCO man for over a year now, -R form with printable white surface. have had not one fault on me in the 4x -R range and only two fault on me in the 8x -R range, however I burnt about 200 DVDs and two not working is not a problem at all! * Under 50c each anyway*

They playback in almost every dvd player I have put them into aswell.

:(

hmm i have backed up a good 1000+] dvds and i must say RITEKS's are the way to go although theyre out of business now so i use RiDATA. reason i use these is when im 'backing up' my PS2 games, Riteks are better for the PS2, the PS2's laser works overtime with princo's which will end up killin the PS2 so thats why i pay the odd $2 or $3 and get the good media.

Hey Benm, can you do a disc test with just a blank DVD, or have ya gotta burn to it first?

Yeah, I've also been told Verbatim is good... more expensive, but worth it, same with some called TY?

Hey Benm, can you do a disc test with just a blank DVD, or have ya gotta burn to it first?

Yeah, I've also been told Verbatim is good... more expensive, but worth it, same with some called TY?

Not working on my pc aswell, might need a different version of NERO benm what version do you have?

The DVD needs to have a DVD movie on it (well I think it requires a DVD movie, haven't tried it with an app/game/mp3 etc only DVD movies).

Yeah TY (Taiyo Yuden) are considered a very high quality disc. You can get them from www.jpldisplays.com.au

Another good brand is the Ricoh's (model: ricohjpnr01 / r02).