SAU Community

Drift Day At Collie An Alternative

Steve

Yeah, happens occasionally, I am an absolute novice, but I have been on the track with pretty much all of the top drifters in SA and never had a problem. (either with them running into me or vice versa)

With the newer guys, or the absolute beginners, its pretty easy to just allow a little more space before the next person goes and not have any dramas.

I will make sure that I liaze well with the marshals, so they know to give the beginners (like myself) a bit more room than the more experienced guys.

It will happen that people will catch up, but that is unavoidable - this is the best way to minimise the problems and get maximum quality track time.

Doing the runs this way, you have several benefits.

Your car wont overheat,

You have less to worry about behind you

You will have heaps of good runs without getting stopped every second corner because the guy in front has spun out.

It works really, really well.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i grab the exact address??

i wouldent mind coming down with a camera and takin some recordings if thats ok, i havent been to a drift event before, so what happens with them? do you bring your own car?

do you gotta pay for spectate?

Sorry I didnt answer earlier :unsure:

Maps of location

I dont know if you have to pay to spectate, I will find out.

Yes, you do need to bring your own car, it will be scrutineered to make sure its safe (no oil leaks, battery secure, no loose aritcles) you will also need an ADR complient helmet (they check for the sticker)

Then you just take your car on the track and enjoy :P

If you are having troubles, there will be plenty of people around to help you out with tips etc.

Before taking your car on the track, I would recommend you do plugs oil and filter and give it a thorough check over, good tyres (and spares if it is a dry day), basic tools like a jack and wheel changing gear. Its also not a bad idea to bring a few extras like spare brake fluid, oil, coolant - but this isnt totally necessary.

I always take a good assortment of tools, well most of the common ones like sockets, spanners, pliers, cable ties, 100m/hr tape, rags, window cleaner etc

hope that helps

Ok, just raing them up:

there is no charge for spectators (as this is a club type event)

Also, for one off events, they allow you on the track without a fire extinguisher - they do prefer if you do regular events to have one though (noting the flag marshals will have fire extinguishers)

Drift Day - Well done Steve and thanks :(

Definately count me in, plus could you hold another 7 spots please? I will confirm these others asap.

1- Me (Confirmed)

2- Eryn (Confirmed)

3- Ryan

4- Keith (Confirmed)

5- Clint (Confirmed)

6- Jenna (Confirmed)

7- Andrew

8- Lance

Instructors- I have two definate yes'.

Mike Sullivan (winner of autobahn battle rnd2 04) &

Adam Truwhella (who won the Toyo Drift Comp in S.A. last weekend).

If we're lucky and Steve's up for it they'd no doubt love to do a demo :unsure:

Wanneroo Drift Comp- Just so people that are competing in this drift comp know, there may also be an exclusive practice day about two weeks prior to the competition. (Yet to be confirmed).

Fire Extinguisher - You can purchase from Bunnings for $30-$40. If you are looking at doing future drift events it'd be a good idea to get the one that has the CAMS approval logo (comes with metal bracket).

:P f**k Yeah

guys,

I have a 0.9kg plastic bracket fire extinguisher, aus standards approved... will this be ok rather than getting a whole new one with a steel bracket?

Also I would like to mount it in the passenger side foot area, against the plastic next to the stereo head unit, would that get through? Else the only other spot is the boot??

Her32, definately see if the guys want to do a demo - I was personally thinking of dedicating a bit of track time to them so they can practice for the comp 30 sept at barbegallo raceway.

Would like to touch base with you on this if its ok, just to sort out finer detail of running with instructors - pm sent

cheers

DO NOT use plastic brackets, they are weak..

and DO NOT screw it into the plastic centre console..

for one they tear the screws out without much effort, and in the event of an impact, that 1kg extinguisher, suddenly become a whole lot heaver, and then becomes a flying object, a mate recently copped an extinuisher in the head after the rally car he was navving in left the road and hit a tree at 90kph, it hurt, a lot, even through his helmet..

so be smart about it, use metal brackets only, and screw it into steel, eg, behind the seats on the floor, or, into the rail that runs from the trans tunnel to the door sil under the front of the seat..

much more secure way of affixing it..

K bra

if im free ill run down for the whole wend and do marshal work for yas (an pit crew for you slackers )

so put me down as possible

discuss at mc

GWP

Thanks Gavin

PS13t, dont worry about it, you wont be on your own there. I have been to practice days where there were alot of people who had never tried drifting nor been on a track before - its all good (remembering that everybody starts at the beginning) That is what they are there for.

If you have never been on a track - you will love it. No curbs, no telephone poles, no cars coming at you, no police, just do your thing and have fun - at your own level.

If anybody has doubts because they have never tried this before DONT. If you never give it a go, you will never find out what its all about.

EVERYBODY has a first time, I have only been on a track a few times, it definately takes me a while to get warmed up :(

But hey, once its in your bloody, you cant let go.