SAU Community

Help - Road Worthy Certificates

Hi All,

My car is up for sale right.. and I want to sell it with a RWC right..

I have mild mods including pod filter, full exhaust, intercooler, bleed valve, sports steering wheel etc. Would I need to remove all the non-standard items on my car to pass a RWC?

If anyone here is in the South Eastern Suburbs of Melb and can do RWC or provide me with any more information, it would be very greatful.

Thanks,

Michael

I will have to get RWC before I get my car registered (import coming very very soon).. what sort of things do I need to take care of apart from having good tyres?

I think your on the same boat as me buddy.. I 'm not 100% sure but I just got new tyres.

Everything else has plenty of life in it just gotta get the RWC.

Thanks for your help guys

general stuff would include tyres, seat belts etc

a chip in the windscreen can make it un roadworthy straight away...

exposed pod filter..

but by the sounds of it, the guy they mentioned on dorset road, may "overlook" these items...

Hi,

My mate does roadworthies and when i went to get my r33 done he said i could of left the pod intercooler, BOV etc on they mainly look at leaks and tyres ofcourse windshield etc. But if all the work done on your vehicle is legit you will not have a problem.

Hi,

My mate does roadworthies and when i went to get my r33 done he said i could of left the pod intercooler, BOV etc on they mainly look at leaks and tyres ofcourse windshield etc. But if all the work done on your vehicle is legit you will not have a problem.

Hi,

My mate does roadworthies and when i went to get my r33 done he said i could of left the pod intercooler, BOV etc on they mainly look at leaks and tyres ofcourse windshield etc.  But if all the work done on your vehicle is legit you will not have a problem.

thats just a dodgy roadworthy then.

if you went for a roadworthy with a pod and intercooler, its NOT roadworthy....he'd give you 1 because he's your mate, and he is taking a risk, but its not legit

if you went for a roadworthy with a pod and intercooler, its NOT roadworthy....he'd give you 1 because he's your mate, and he is taking a risk, but its not legit

You may be right, but i've discussed the issue of pod filters with Vicroads engineers (NOT the drones on the desk, but one of their assessment engineers). According to that engineer Vicroads don't care about pod filters because they don't affect the 'engineering of the car'. I suspect the same applies to an aftermarket FMIC. But there's no doubt that the EPA would be veryinterested, because you are only allowed one intake mod...so pod or FMIC, but not both. It's been a while since I had a roadworthy done, but I suspect that unless the inspection requires the inspector to look for these mods, I doubt he will care.

You may be right, but i've discussed the issue of pod filters with Vicroads engineers (NOT the drones on the desk, but one of their assessment engineers).  According to that engineer Vicroads don't care about pod filters because they don't affect the 'engineering of the car'.  I suspect the same applies to an aftermarket FMIC.    But there's no doubt that the EPA would be veryinterested, because you are only allowed one intake mod...so pod or FMIC, but not both. It's been a while since I had a roadworthy done, but I suspect that unless the inspection requires the inspector to look for these mods, I doubt he will care.

the thing with pods is, if they are exposed (not in the factory box or contained in a custom box) they are un roadworthy....as you said only 1 intake mod as far as the EPA is concerned, but if you had an exposed pod and went to vic roads for a RWC, unless the guy let you off, it'd be unroadworthy

Well boys i was talking to an engineer for the rta in nswAnd this is what i could coax from him.

*Pod filters are no good regardless of if they are in a box let alone exposed.Off road use only.

*Front mount Intercoolers are allright,only because it doesnt usually change the emmissions as much as a pod filter would.Can be engineered.

*Aftermarket boost controllers are illegal.They are for off road use only.

*Suspension can be engineered.

*Exhausts,again are allright depending on db readings.Can be engineered

*Wheels can be engineered.

*BOV'S are illegal if they vent to the atmosphere.Though afetrmarket ones can be engineered if they comply and vent back into the system.

*Oil catch cans are allright and can be engineered as long as they vent back through the system.

*Ecu,(stand alone),Are for off road use only.

I diddnt ask about turbos because i know the answer i would get.Nor did i ask about turbotimers.Or access chips for ecus.

That is why when a modified road car is imported and it has to go through regency/engineer it will have to be stock and then modified after it has been given the all clear as a roadworthy car.

thats just a dodgy roadworthy then.

Does it really matter as the person who buys it will just put back on whatever has been taken off as it will be all sold with the car.

As long as things like brakes and other safety components are ok then theres nothing dodgy about it.

Does it really matter as the person who buys it will just put back on whatever has been taken off as it will be all sold with the car.

As long as things like brakes and other safety components are ok then theres nothing dodgy about it.

yes, i agree with you. but when you know its a mate doing the roadworthy for the seller, how can you be so certain that everything else is roadworthy unless you get it checked by someone impartial.