SAU Community

Hoon Laws

Baz

I have just been thinking about the introduced "hoon" laws for some time and I think most people will agree with me about how ridiculous in different aspects that they can be and how blatently they enforce the laws.

The laws are in place to hit back against people who drive dangerously but I don't believe that they are actually preventing dangerous driving but are just capitalising on a problem with huge media backing behind it. But are they actually changing peoples driving habits by doing so? I doubt it. Sure it's a good way of punishing people who aren't driving correctly but it's not fixing the problem.

For example in a hypothetical situation, I am a beginner P plate driver who has a Skyline and wants to drive it beyond his limits and capability. I get caught for drifting my car gets impounded and I lose my license for 3 months. The thing is, is that in most people's line of thinking its a harsh slap in the face but you can make do for the 3 months that your without your license. By the time the 3 months is up your so ethusiastic that all you want to do is hop back in your car go driving again and you will continue driving in the same manner that you did previously with the same driving habits.

I think a better thing to do would be to introduce a law in more minor cases (where the laws would be enforced) where a driver would be put on a good behaviour bond which would basically mean that they could still drive but for a period time where if they decided to break the law again, then at that stage they would lose there license instantly. Having a system like this in place would then allow people to make them realise how much responsibilty comes with driving a car and allows them to choose how important there license is to them. This would then change there driving habits due to the fear of losing there license.

Basically the way I see it, the hoon laws are a slap in the face and a system in place like this can and would change the terrible driving habits in the minority of us, for which the hoon laws are in place to target, who drive irresponsibly to be more up speed with the likes of us.

I think that would be a far more effective system which would change people's driving habits. Just speaking my mind. ;)

Cheers,

In both the US and AUS systems, one thing that I have gathered is that there is no "rehabilitation" process. It's almost like thinking: "once a criminal always a criminal"

I agree with you totally, there should be programs that encourage the opposite attitude instead of letting it go unnoticed so when they get their licence again, they continue doing the same stupid shit!

good points there baz. over-enthusiastic drivers in imported sports cars are very easy targets for police too. much easier than addresing more serious problems that are within the community anyway...

The new p plate laws that were brought in during July has really annoyed the hell out of me. They say that the performance car youth are too dangerous on our roads. Sure the majority of us can behave to a point, but there are some that cross the line now and then. But you cant accuse them, as we all do it, its just a part of being a young driver.

Im inclined to agree that we could reduce the road toll, but the way there going about this is way too stupid.

The government has banned high powered motor vehicles to provisional liscence drivers. But to logically look at this new law, you wonder what type of grass the government was smoking when they made it.

I have recently looked through the list of banned V8, turbocharged, and supercharged vehicles on the rta website, and for starters the list is 98 pages long. With around 30 cars on each page, it equates to around 3000 banned vehicles! For starters, for this law to be enforced, highway patrol officers all around the state would have to have issued lists of all these banned vehicles so that these turbocharged, supercharged and V8 vehicles can be identified. Even with something like this, how would the average cop know what a 20 year old Nissan Exa or something similar looks like, let alone know that paticular model ET Pulsar had the turbo motor. See the logic?

To see it another way. I read through the pages to find a few standout vehicles that were 'too overpowered' for provisional drivers to drive, the Nissan Silvia S13 Turbo, the Toyota Starlet Turbo and the Ford Lazer TX3 turbo.

these cars do not produce over 140 flywheel kilowatts! Yet non turbo family cars such as Camrys or sedan Commodores can produce the same amount of power, if not more, yet these cars are still easily obtainable by provisional drivers.

Yet, the government fails to realise that the cars that are still obtainable by p plate drivers can all exceed the speed limit and all can claim lives by being used to do so, which we still will keep on doing .So why is it that myself and all the other young performance car enthusiasts have to get by on 'normal performance cars', when these cars can kill us anyway.

My main concern with this is can they dob you in for speeding (not that we do)? But hypothetically say you pass another car at 65 in a 60 zone and your in your skyline and the person you pass hates skylines because of all the media attention. They then dob you in and say your hooning past at 100 in a 60 zone can the police get for 40 over im assuming they need alot more proof then just their word. Otherwise why do police need lasers, radars etc to book you for speeding when jo blow with no prior training can say i saw them speeding at XX kms and then you get done.

they cant fine you, cause the cops wouldnt know if the guy ringin up about some dude speeding would be telling the truth or not. But, im pretty sure if you give the number plate to the cops, they can follow it up to see if youve got a record or not for speeding, but i dont know what they do next.

The new p plate laws that were brought in during July has really annoyed the hell out of me. They say that the performance car youth are too dangerous on our roads. Sure the majority of us can behave to a point, but there are some that cross the line now and then. But you cant accuse them, as we all do it, its just a part of being a young driver.

Im inclined to agree that we could reduce the road toll, but the way there going about this is way too stupid.

The government has banned high powered motor vehicles to provisional liscence drivers. But to logically look at this new law, you wonder what type of grass the government was smoking when they made it.

I have recently looked through the list of banned V8, turbocharged, and supercharged vehicles on the rta website, and for starters the list is 98 pages long. With around 30 cars on each page, it equates to around 3000 banned vehicles! For starters, for this law to be enforced, highway patrol officers all around the state would have to have issued lists of all these banned vehicles so that these turbocharged, supercharged and V8 vehicles can be identified. Even with something like this, how would the average cop know what a 20 year old Nissan Exa or something similar looks like, let alone know that paticular model ET Pulsar had the turbo motor. See the logic?

To see it another way. I read through the pages to find a few standout vehicles that were 'too overpowered' for provisional drivers to drive, the Nissan Silvia S13 Turbo, the Toyota Starlet Turbo and the Ford Lazer TX3 turbo.

these cars do not produce over 140 flywheel kilowatts! Yet non turbo family cars such as Camrys or sedan Commodores can produce the same amount of power, if not more, yet these cars are still easily obtainable by provisional drivers.

Yet, the government fails to realise that the cars that are still obtainable by p plate drivers can all exceed the speed limit and all can claim lives by being used to do so, which we still will keep on doing .So why is it that myself and all the other young performance car enthusiasts have to get by on 'normal performance cars', when these cars can kill us anyway.

I don't think those laws have been enforced in WA but I heard about it being enforced over east. Apparently if a banned car was registered in your name before the laws went into place, you would still be able to have the car licensed in your name.

It's all a load shit these new laws coming in, a fact of the blind leading the blind

My main concern with this is can they dob you in for speeding (not that we do)? But hypothetically say you pass another car at 65  in a 60 zone and your in your skyline and the person you pass hates skylines because of all the media attention. They then dob you in and say your hooning past at 100 in a 60 zone can the police get for 40 over im assuming they need alot more proof then just their word. Otherwise why do police need lasers, radars etc to book you for speeding when jo blow with no prior training can say i saw them  speeding at XX kms and then you get done.

This is from experience; riding in my uncles BMW 330ci going 80km in a 60km zone. A copper parked on the side follows him and explains that he was speeding before. My uncle promptly says show me your radar reading - the cop did not have one and could not book my uncle :) As someone mentioned, its their word against yours if there is no hard evidence.

I wouldn't bank on the fact that cops are always that forgetful as to leave their radars off though...

Similar rule applies with the "one cop, one pull over" rule.... works espcially well with cruises!

This is from experience; riding in my uncles BMW 330ci going 80km in a 60km zone.  A copper parked on the side follows him and explains that he was speeding before.  My uncle promptly says show me your radar reading - the cop did not have one and could not book my uncle :D  As someone mentioned, its their word against yours if there is no hard evidence.

I wouldn't bank on the fact that cops are always that forgetful as to leave their radars off though...

Similar rule applies with the "one cop, one pull over" rule.... works espcially well with cruises!

Don't mean to be rude, but that was probably in a standard beamer (correct me if I'm wrong), but in a car like ours (modified imports), the coppers trump card is "open your bonnet". You just can't win. I haven't tried that because I haven't been pulled over, but I know people who have. Not all cops are bad, but there are some that take advantage of their job & will do whatever they can to screw you over.

Not going to leave a huge reply but Scott I agree with most of what you posted.

The way i see it is that they have to try something. Our kids are killing themselves on the roads like never before. "Never before" meaning fatalites on teh roads compared to the amount of cars is lowering on a yearly basis yet they are still producing 300kw cars for the domestic market. Oh and the majority of these deaths are caused by ppl not looking where they are driving and plowing into unexpected obstacles, im sure they had their eyes open but they were ysing them to look for speed cameras and the like casue some idiot made it a double demrit weekend. :D

Its a fad that is a direct consquence of the import scene. I hope i dont get killed for this but its pretty crazy that u can get a R for like 17k on teh road. Thats just way too cheap for a hi-po car.

I reckon this law will last a few years and they will make some examples and then give up. Just sit back and ride it out. Or u could alway refrain from being a hoon. :P