SAU Community

How Long Does It Take To Import A Car From Japan?

Informer

Just wondering how long does it take for a car to leave the shores of Japan and arrive in Melbourne waters?

Does it take a month or 2?

Can I get a friend to pick it up on my behalf if I'm not there to pick it up myself?

Takes just over two weeks from port to port - depending on whether the ship makes any other stops, weather conditions etc.

Once car arrives here, will be inspected by AQIS and Customs. Needs to have the appropriate clearance and inspection documents filled out beforehand. If you have a customs agent they will look after this for you. If not I suggest you search on the forums on the process, has been documented several times before.

Upon clearance you will need a copy of the clearance documents and take it to the docks and they will release the car to you.

took bout 3 weeks for mine to get here.

I thought your broker would work out the clearence stuff and u just had to pick it up or organise someone to pick it up...like a tow truck etc? mine was in a container, delivered to work, so i am not 100% sure about how that works with picking it up at the dock, but i would guess that that would be fine...don't see why it wouldn't be...as long as the person picking it up has the correct documentation, like raz0r said...

My car took about 5 weeks from initial purchase to my driveway, but from what i understand the time is mostly dependent on how soon you can get it on a ship.

As far as getting someone else to pick it up, i know a tow truck driver, and i gave him the necessary documents to clear the car and he went down and picked the car up for me no problems. If you've got the paperwork they dont seem to care who you are. (Possibly not a good thing come to think of it...)

• 1 month later...

ressurecting an old post....

Once its on a ship, ~2 weeks to melbourne (plus 1 for the mishaps of life)

my problem is getting it onto the ship... How long does import approval usually take to get?

I'm still waiting...

--ebola

Ouch!!!!

It can take from one to about 5-6 months if there is a que for shipping in japan.

lets just hope there isn't.

It had better get here before the new year... its meant to be coming in under the 15 year imports rule (while it still exists...)

wish me luck

--ebola

If you wait for 5-6 months...i think you should ask for your money back lol...that's way too long

Yeah that exactly what I did.

first few months was around xmas etc when it was really busy and they didnt have space for months, the last month they just plain forgot to put it on the ship.

I canceled that car and got something much better.

If you count the skyline I never had then I have owned three skylines... hahah

The journey on the boat takes minimum 14 days from japan to an Australian port. Ships from japan doesn't leave everyday and there is always a long queue of cars waiting for their turn to get on a ship. After the car arrives, it will go through quarrantine and check for soil underneath the car. If soil is detected, the car will be washed thoroughly ( charged in to your account ) and this will delay it even more.

A customs agent will then take over and settle all the paper work including cost of freight, import duty, etc. This alone will take probably a few days.

Compliancing all depends on how modded the car is, if it is stock then no problems it will go through in about 7 working days. If there are problems, it'll take about 2 weeks or so.

Perhaps not quite the right thread, but just in case anyone is interested, import approval FINALLY came in...

I just hope that customes has fixed a few bugs it is having...

yet another skyline about to hit the streets. Well, after shipping, that is

• 2 weeks later...

it takes 5 weeks from the day you send for the approval application to received, sometime a bit longer, but no more than 6 weeks. if longer then that is somthing went wrong.

k-line has ship leave yoko, osaka, and nago every foright on friday morning. 2-3 weeks to NSW the melb, the SA after that WA, by the time it arrives in WA it takes 4 weeks in total.

a good custom agent can get your car out of custom and ready to pick up within 2 days. even it needs a clean! but you must provide all the paperwork and cash ready!